back to article Baroness Scotland fined for failing to follow own law

Baroness Scotland, the Attorney General, has been fined £5,000 for breaking the law on employment checks which she pushed through Parliament. The country's top legal officer satisfied investigators that she did not employ the illegal immigrant knowingly but simply failed to make and keep copies of relevant documents as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. richard 99

Blinkered Colonies

@ Raz - That's mainly because Canada's news is wholly insular unless it relates to asylum or refugees. The UK barely made the headlines when we sold you milions of pounds worth of faulty submarine. Susprising really considering how many claim Scottish heritage over there.

I'd put it to you that the only reason you see little Sarko is because he's a member of another of the groups the Canucks are so fond of pandering to - Francophones.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Documents? What documents?

So she failed to keep copies of the documents that proved her cleaner could work legally.

How could these documents have existed in the first place given her cleaner had no right to work in the UK? How could she have actually examined documents that didn't exist?

Once again the rich and powerful get away with a slap on the wrist.

£5000? She has probably spent more on having her duck island polished.

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

This was ALL over the mainstream news...

So why on earth does El Reg feel the need to proliferate it further???

While the occasional non-IT related story creeps into the Reg from time to time, (and usually raises a smile or chuckle), the Baroness Scotland story is an example of the over reported / exposed piffle that every journo with an agenda or axe to grind jumps on like a horny teenager on a Bangkok whore. (Not to say that this article is grinding anything; it is at least fairly objective.)

I just prefer to get away from the mainstream staple with my daily lunch-time dose of the Reg, I get all that other stuff from BBC / SKY news.

4. Grease Monkey Silver badge

@AC - Documents? What documents?

"How could these documents have existed in the first place given her cleaner had no right to work in the UK? How could she have actually examined documents that didn't exist?"

The rules regarding keeping photocopies of documents is there to deal with this very issue. If the employer has a photocopy of a legitimate looking document then they are absolved of all blame. If they don't have the photocopy then the assumption is made that they didn't check. The problem being that there are an awful lot of forged documents about, or at least legit documents which have been doctored (dates altered and the likes).

If an employer has a photocopy of a legit looking, but dodgy document they have proof that they have been conned. And therein lies the problem. There are employers out there who are providing illegals with fake docs in order that they can employ them, but this ruling gives them a simple loophole.

I suppose the lack of a copy sort of proves that Scotland is only slightly dodgy, not totally bent.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Labour Spinnners/Attack Poodles on El Reg?

"I just prefer to get away from the mainstream staple with my daily lunch-time dose of the Reg, I get all that other stuff from BBC / SKY news." .... By fLaMePr0oF Posted Wednesday 23rd September 2009 12:44 GMT

fLaMePr0oF,

The mainstream staple from BBC/SKY news is mouldy ole gruel and sycophantic fiction for dessert. Here on El Reg is IT Michelin starred Cordon Bleu and fantastic facts.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Spin free zone...

"The mainstream staple from BBC/SKY news is mouldy ole gruel and sycophantic fiction for dessert. Here on El Reg is IT Michelin starred Cordon Bleu and fantastic facts" By amanfromMars 1 Posted Wednesday 23rd September 2009 15:01 GMT

Touché!

7. Francis Offord
    Pint

There is no dungeon deep enough

Yet again we see the difference between the populace and the heirarchy. The producer of the specific law cannot claim lack of knowledge of the laws provisions, she wrote it for gods sake and anyway, ignorance of the law is no excuse for non compliance

as we are constantly reminded. £5000 is derisory, it should be 10 times that, or more. It should mean a quick despatch from her governmental duties and, preferably, re-housing in somewhere like one of Her Majesty's penal establishments and the charging of full bed and board. It should be combined with all the panoply of the law and restrictions which such housing requires and public humiliation upon her release. We have recently seen an innocent man released from custody after 27 years and his rental and food removed from the settlement process, despite his being innocent. We have not heard that any consideration was given to him for the inconvenience and humiliation he has suffered yet this member of the great and good has the approvel of Gawd Helpus Brown, so that is OK. There is the distinct odour of rotting kippers emanating from Downing Street. The whole rotten government should stand accused tried and dispatched including all the hangers on who purport to being involved in the process of law making. until/unless our law makers who turn to be law breakers are brought to book we shall remain as laughing stocke of the world.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.