back to article NASA reacquires original Moon landing footage

NASA has seemingly confirmed that the original taped recordings of the first Moon landing have turned up in Australia - almost three years after the agency admitted it had carelessly mislaid them. The Parkes Observatory in Australia captured the 1969 live images straight from the lunar surface to magnetic tape. What the US …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. kain preacher

One question

if it was faked , why didn't the Russians prove that it was fake ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

This information isn't lost, just inaccessible

and as soon as people stop faffing about with outmoded technologies and get to work on that superluminal drive, we can go and fetch some fresh copies

3. WonkoTheSane
    Coat

@ Secretgeek & AC 11:44

It's all true!

Clangers faked the moon landings here:- http://stuffucanuse.com/fake_moon_landings/moon_landings.htm

Nazi Vril Society on the moon here:- http://www.ironsky.net/

Mine's the one with the tinfoil hat in the pocket.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hey

you can clearly see there's a kangaroo in the background

5. Apocalypse Later

Mars

The real conspiracy is the suppression of the faked Mars mission tapes. The asylums are still full of people who were hypnotized into believing they were on that mission or part of the ground control/rocket ship builders etc.

6. Fozzy 1
    Alert

WOW

Either we have been overrun by a hoard of trolls. or i need to quickly sink all my money into a new start up company (maker of tin foil hats) personally delivered by company staff (postal workers are all aliens don't you know)

7. Crazy Operations Guy
    Coat

RE: @cullen Newsom

"erm tape not film.. you can't just scan the frames there aren't any its 40 y.o. magnetic tape in NASA (read: non standard really expensive to develop and single use) Format!"

Ah, so it must have been made by Sony then.

Just off to dump all these useless UMD disks and beta-max tapes

8. Goat Jam
    Black Helicopters

Pull the other one

"if the visual data can be retrieved"

If such a tape really exists (doubtful) then they would need to ensure that they are not detailed enough to show any evidence of the fakery involved with the alleged "Moon landings"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Honeysuckle Creek

Sadly the Honeysuckle Creek communications centre which received the moon broadcast has been bulldozed. It was left unguarded and became a popular place for vandals. All that's left are the concrete bases, some channels still containing cable and some beautiful old trees from the surrounding gardens. What a tragedy.

The dish that received the signals was tiny. When Honeysuckle Creek was bulldozed an enterprising academic from the University of Canberra (which was, IIRC, the Canberra College of Advanced Education at the time) asked if he could have it. It still stands in the UCan grounds and is, I believe, used as a teaching tool.

If I think of it I'll take a photo of it and post a link.

The Dish was a great story, but the location was fiction.

10. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Stop

100% factual

Dear Nasty Ignorant Trolls,

If the Americans (and the rest of the free world) faked the moon landing, why then did the Russians just give up? They were locked in a life or death, nationalistic FIGHT with the Americans.

If the Russians even suspected fakery, they would have landed a craft and called "Liar, liar, spacesuit on fire" (Лжец, лжец, spacesuit от пожара)

I remember the landing day well.

11. Jeffrey Nonken
    Big Brother

Faked? You've all watched

... Capricorn One way too many times.

Get a life, bozos.

P.S. The Earth is flat.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Honeysuckle Creek

A small dish is surprising - all the (few) photos of tracking stations I've seen had large dishes. And these reminisces of a HSK denizen show some big kit:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/eagle33/places/hsk.htm

But this could have been post-Apollo ie for deep-space tracking I guess? Can you flesh out your notes, go get that photo, etc? :-)

13. Daniel Wilkie
    Black Helicopters

Oh FFS people

It's true, the moon landings are fake, and I have the proof in some files passed down to me from my grandfather, that were stolen from a facility in Nevada. I'll just scan them in and then can we please move past this?

Well that's wierd, there's some kind of black helicopter hovering outside my

14. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

Re: Fakes.

I remember seeing an interview with a special effects bod who was working back then. They asked him how he'd have done it, if he'd been given the job and had to use the technology available at the time.

The answer given was something like:

"Well, if we were given an unlimited budget to get it to look right, the easiest way would have been to build a really big rocket and then hire three stuntmen to take it to the moon......."

Or, put another way, whoever just invoked Occam's razor had it right.

15. Ed 31

@Honeysuckle Creek

A small dish? You call a 28m (85ft) dish small?

you can get more info about the tracking station here

http://www.honeysucklecreek.net/

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like