back to article Mars projected to collide with Earth

Forget sending astronauts to Mars, the planet may come crashing right here to Earth if gravitational interactions substantially agitate its now-stable orbit. A new study in the June 11 issue of Nature predicts there's a real, albeit slim possibility of a planetary smash-up inside the inner solar system, largely thanks to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ John Tserkezis

Foolish words, man. Have a read through Einstein's Monsters by Martin Amis. There's a bloke in there who didn't expect to be where he was at the appointed time.

2. Richard Scratcher
    Unhappy

What's happened to this site?

50 or so comments posted about planetary collisions and not one pun about Uranus.

Come on!

3. James O'Brien
    Joke

@Stevie

Heh

"We will fix things up"

Bubba Get the duct tape and twine. Gonna need to put Earth back together seeing as Mars just hit us. And God darnnit slap some bondo on that there mountain."

Ok thank you for bringing that image to mind.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

And I predict...

That in a billion years time, Gordon Brown may not be our prime minister any longer.

I think the Mars hitting Earth bet is a little more certain, though.

5. Adam T
    Black Helicopters

Nuke Mercury

I'm sure the US military is already exploring scenarios.

America always saves the world, it's their duty! :)

6. Angus Cooke
    Happy

No need to worry...

... this intergalactic experiment with odd shaped balls and fiery gases we're all unwittingly a part of will come to an end long before any of the equipment breaks.

7. Alistair 2
    Go

God builds a good Earth

Quote "Earth's about half way to retirement with only a few dents on her"

A bit like my car (feels smug)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Go

"Earth's halfway to retirement"

Does it get a pension? Where do retired planets go, anyway? Is there a quiet little corner of the galaxy where retired planets sit about on park benches, watching the young starlets desporting themselves on the grass, reminiscing about the days when their climates, too, were hot, hot, hot?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like