back to article OpenOffice 3.1 ready to lick Microsoft's suite?

OpenOffice.org remains the most popular open source answer to Microsoft's ubiquitous Office suite, and in these recessionary times, the appeal of "free" software is stronger than ever. Many individuals are already heeding the call of online suites from Google or Zoho, which offer most of the important features found in their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Problems with migrating to Word

I use Ubuntu for all my work and therefore need to use OpenOffice for all documents I write. I'm quite happy with it but the problem is that you have to eventually send the finished document out in Word format as most people and their computers will be stumped when they receive an OpenOffice .odt file.

This is where the problems start. If I open a Word doc in OO that has headers and footers, then these get completely munged when opened in Word again. Images I insert from files get moved about and tables, notes and tables of contents just plain don't work properly.

So if I save a doc as Word and send it out, it could look very wrong to the recipient which does not look very professional...

Consequently, I have to get my colleague to open all my documents in Word and correct them so they look right when sent out. Sometimes this is more effort than writing the document in the first place.

So in this unfair world where everyone expects a Word document, until OO can reliably create documents that format correctly when opened in Word, there will be a barrier to adoption.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is MS's fault for having a proprietary document format, but unfortunately they have a monopoly on documents at the moment and to do business efficiently we have to bow to that monopoly.

2. John Smith Gold badge
    Gates Horns

Remember MS is an ecology also

If they did not change the interface (and liberally sprinkle in a few new bugs to break some bits that had worked for years) how would they keep the army of MS Training Course Providers in business?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

xml

I backed out of an update from Office 2003 pro because OO was xml based as was Office. I reasoned that OO would provide flexibility and extensibility over and above what Office would provide, much as Firefox provides flexibility and extensibility far and above what ie offers. When the productivity pluses of Office were tied to binary files paying the MS tax seemed worth it but if both products are xml based and MS offers a minimal productivity boost tied to a proprietary xml standard then it seems to me it a good time to jump from the good ship Office pro and ship out with OO. At least that's what my precursory reasoning led me to.

4. Ralph

It works for me

I've been using OpenOffice for most of my word-processing/spreadsheet needs for a year now, and I'm really pleased with it. I also have MS Office (2003) but I don't intend to buy any further versions. I'm tired of Microsoft's focus on lock-in (poor interoperability with almost everything else, dodgy compatibility between versions, tie-in with their own technologies and no one else's, etc, etc) rather than simply providing great software.

I also found I can organise quite complex documents without worrying that numbering/outlining/styles/etc all suddenly start to do weird things as they frequently do in Word (I can't count the number of times I've had to revert to older versions of Word documents because the current version has gone irretrievably 'insane'). OO hasn't been absolutely perfect either, but far more robust.

The most difficult thing was simply learning to use a new piece of software. Yes, almost all office suites are doing the same things, but they also have their own methodologies. I would encourage anyone to have a go at OpenOffice, but commit yourself to spending a bit of time getting used to it. And definitely check out the PDF import plug-in.

BTW - the reviews of OO on The Register seem really shallow. The previous one seemed obsessed with problems installing on Linux, and this one seems to think speed differences are really important. Can we have something more in-depth?

5. Roger Heathcote

@anon - typing.

"QWERTY was designed to help prevent manual typewriters from jamming by spreading out certian key combinations. Nothing to do with slowing typing down."

Er, other than the reason for the jamming was that people could type faster than the early machines could handle.

6. A Tower of Silence
    Alert

The ribbon is evil.

To me, this reveals a M$ lock-in strategy; if they can force enough existing users to familiarise themselves with the ribbon while ensuring that they recruit the fresh kiddies to this interface, they make OOo &c unfamiliar, "dated" and as annoyingly unusable as the ribbon currently is.

This obviously extends beyond just Word, or Office; it is a bid to discourage new users from becoming familiar with current, standard (one could similise QWERTY) interaction methods, and as long as M$ can simultaneously convert enough existing M$O users, they can hope to make the OOo (and Google docs &c) menu interface outdated, unattractive, uncomfortable or even unusable to their future market.

The ribbon is evil.

7. Geoffrey W
    Boffin

@Richard

<QUOTE> OMG! Scientific computing using Excel and 1 million rows/column ... I fear for the world. </QUOTE>

Don't worry. Our global warming model is doing just fine.

A couple more rows would be handy but we can work round it.

8. Pierre

@ Chris

If you"re using a spreadsheet to handle that many rows, you're doing something very, very, very wrong.

The scientific community called, they want the badge back.

(and I seriously hope you did not publish anything out of your >64K rows Excel spreadsheet, as it would probably be completely inaccurate anyway.)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Roger Heathcote 18:57 GMT

Different anon here. I thought it was about the letter block/head thingies (whatever they're called) being adjacent to each other rather than speed. Could be wrong though I guess.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It really is faster

I don't have to generate either Word Documents or Excel spreadsheets very often, but I receive a fair number of both in my e-mail. The major problem that I've had with previous versions of OOo was just how long it took to open a word document - 15-20 seconds just to start the application up.

3.1 seems to be significantly faster - attachments are opening in under 5 seconds. I'm sure I'll encounter some issues as I play around with it some more, and I see that go-oo.org still only has 3.0.1, but first impressions are pretty good.

11. Kanhef
    Flame

Mac PPC still at 2.4.0

and for idiotic reasons. Many months after 3.0 came out, and with extensive searching, I found a Mac PPC pre-release version of it. The code is stable and feature-complete; apparently the only reason it hasn't been released is that no one has officially verified that the English language localization is correct.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple argument: $$

Fact: depressed economy.

Fact: most people use about 20% of features (principally, most people would be OK with an enhanced version of Wordpad for word processing work

Fact: OOo handles the majority of Office work just fine

So, unless you ab-so-lu-te-ly want that ribbon and the incompatible file format (read: if you want to force others to "upgrade" - I use that word advisably), or if you really need Outlook, go ahead, give them your money. In most smaller companies you don't need to: install a networkable printer, Collanos to share files (in p2p mode), add Thunderbird and OOo and off you go.

And if you need a central mailserver you can stick a "tsack installer" version of Zimbra community on a Linux box (easier than manual install, but I have questions about how this is kept up to date).

There isn't actually a reason to run anything from MS at all, but since you have probably received Windows with your PCs you might as well use it - it's more work to remove it..

Oh, and if you like access you MUST experiment with Base because it can also handle grown up databases.. But that's advanced stuff.

13. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Happy

Alternatives

OO compatibility with Word documents seems to be getting progressively worse. I get .docs from work all the time, and OO fails to handle about 25% of them. Generally, though, AbiWord can cope with them. Which is nice, because it's a hell of a lot faster than OO and just as not expensive.

14. Jeff

@ AC 14:43

Maybe you should read the documentation as it is not an illegal character. My comments must be right since you immediately attacked my comments with lies and unfounded accusations. Thanks for helping in making my point.

15. Bill Michaelson

Why MS stays on top (it's not the quality)

I once tried to use OO Calc to view an Excel spreadsheet for the budget produced by a school district. Some incompatibility caused it to display incorrect results. Upon investigation, I discovered that the bug could be considered a feature, and the incompatibility was a matter of interpretation. I posted a problem report to the maintainers' site. The response I received was about ideological purity: how OO does it right, and MS does it wrong. No interest in resolving the compatibility problem.

It was then I realized that MS will maintain dominance for a long time. Very discouraging.

16. John Smith Gold badge
    Joke

1000 000 column models

That would the risk assessment model for one of those mortgage backed collaterised debt obligation that banks were so keen on I imagine.

17. Dave

Mac Version

Rather annoyed that you go to the trouble of saying that the native Mac version of OO isn't a very good fit, but completely fail to mention the existance of Neo Office, which was created for that very reason.

18. Jerry Lefever
    Boffin

OO vs MS Office

The best MS Office version is 2003 IMO.It would be the icing on the cake if OO could read/edit/save *.pub files.

19. pAnoNymous
    Go

where's the email?

how can you have an office suite with no email - the main office application I and most of my colleagues use is Outlook (connecting to Exchange) - how can you have an office productivity suite without an email program?

btw there's people at work that need more than 65k rows (there's just that much data around) and we have to get Excel 2007 especially for them - so Chris isn't the only.

20. John Smith Gold badge
    Boffin

@Bill Michaelson

"Some incompatibility caused it to display incorrect results. Upon investigation, I discovered that the bug could be considered a feature, and the incompatibility was a matter of interpretation. "

Which raises the question is the development spec for this part of Calc "show an excel sheet *exactly* as it is in excel" or show the *correct* answer is *regardless* of what file format is being read.

If the former then they are failing to cater (or pander, depending on your POV) to Excel users and therefore discouraging them from switching. If the latter then it would seem that Excel is at fault for reporting inaccurate calculations, something I am not unfamiliar with. I have presumed the actual numbers Calc is reporting are accurate, if not then whatever the spec that would be a clear failure anyway you slice it.

21. Krishnadas
    Go

Re: Problems with migrating to Word By Anonymous Coward

"This is where the problems start. If I open a Word doc in OO that has headers and footers, then these get completely munged when opened in Word again. Images I insert from files get moved about and tables, notes and tables of contents just plain don't work properly."

When I evaluated OOO 3.0.1, I was quite taken aback by how badly OOO ruined DOC files. But this was a serious bug with tables in that version. Ver 3.1 seems to have fixed that problem. I am impressed. We will be migrating our organization to OOO shortly.

22. jon
    Thumb Up

ODF is now supported by MS office 2007 SP2

Most issues should slowly fade over the next 5 years... we're getting their slowly.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like