back to article Start-up Bee pledges 'affordable' British e-car

The Register can bring you exclusive details and images of what could become the UK's most affordable electric car. Bee Bee.One Bee's Bee.One: four-seater EV for seven grand, anyone? The four-seat, five-door Bee.One from British e-car start up Bee is scheduled to go into production in 2011 with a target price of £12,000 ($ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Nic
Thumb Up

standard response to the Coal fired power station whiners

500000 cars with ICB or 500000 with electric motors. Once we are over to electric we have centralised the power generation and can therefore change the method at any point. IE it doesn't matter too much that our power generation is largely carbon based right now. We change to nuke/solar/wind/fusion etc in the future and are car model still works. We don't have to change every flipping car over each time which would be the problem with other models such as hydrogen.

Silver badge

@Daniel

Brilliant, just f***inkg brilliant...

CC
Black Helicopters

Fed up with the hype...people need something real NOW!

I am so tired of seeing these "proposed vehicles", time for the manufacturers to put up or shut up...you notice how the time lines keep dragging out another and another year and now they're back to drawings.

What the world needs in not a new car but an engine battery module that can be used in pre-existing vehicles.

hooked up to a 3G cellular network

How comprehensive is the 3G coverage? I have this mental image of a Bee 1 getting a BSOD during an upgrade when it drives out of range of a base station.

I'd rather it connect via my home WiFi router when I'm at home.

Paris Hilton

Question

If we are heading for brown-outs because of retiring power stations, and this is unavoidable we are told. We all have to reduce our consumption of electricity or we will have cuts, then if we all switch to rechargeable cars, this is going to help how?

Maybe it is me....

Paris because she'll make the blackouts less tiresome.

Gold badge
Boffin

Stephen Voller sounds familiar

I thought his last company did Hydrogen fuel cells, then bought an outfit that could handle in situ reforming to run from Propane. The company website said they had ceased trading and were looking for a buyer.

But perhaps I have the wrong man.

Boffin

fish out of date

@francis fish

Batteries are actually so 1800

Much older than the cutting edge fuel cell of 1838

Alien

It's the ROTM

"Each Bee.One will be permanently hooked up to a 3G cellular network that will allow updates to the car's management system software to be downloaded"

And its dashboard glows red while this happens, right?

Anonymous Coward

Brown out "this is going to help how"

Because when your car is at home and its battery doesn't need charging, you can use your car battery if you want house electricity when the grid wants to reduce demand.

Or, more adventurously, you use the battery to feed in to the local mains (needs a bit more thought, but not greatly different conceptually than micro wind turbines or micro CHP "feeding in", which works OK in some countries, the main problem is commercial not technical).

It's the same concept in principle as "pumped storage" power stations, except rather than half a dozen per country at maybe a GW each (eg www.fhc.co.uk), you eventually have a few hundred thousand around the country at a couple of kilowatts each. Every little helps.

Of course, "Brown out" is a phrase with a different meaning at the moment. Especially after today's budget and the resulting election.

Thumb Up

I like the dual motor idea.

It means if one motor fails, you can still go round and round! Whee!

Congratulations ...

... they've managed to design something that's uglier than a Mk.2 Megane.

As for the price tag, I'll believe it when I see it.

C6

Finally Clive Sinclair is giving it another shot I see. "Permanently hooked up to a network", will I need to run Zonealarm Security Suite or will Zonealarm Free suffice? Will it support playing minesweeper or tetris while the updates are installed like the new BIOS replacement? No stereo, just a ipod dock... do ipods have radios these days? No one would want a radio in their car would they?

Joke

3G permanently on?

If it is anything like my oldish cell phone that craps the battery dead (and heats up while at it) when GSM 3G is a no-go and it falls back to analogic cell-phone network (as in '90 analogic network TDMA ) then we'll see interesting things, like cars bursting into flames for no apparent reason, just like last-year Sony laptops.

Hope it doesn´t suffer the same fate. Reminds to install more mains sockets in the garage, along with 200 feet cable extensions to charge my car parked in front of the house.

Gold badge
Happy

@ Francis Fish

How about 2-3 Kg of TNT instead?

USAF and NASA do range safety assessments. A Helium tank at 5000 psia of about 3.4Cu. Ft capacity is assessed at 3.3lbs (1.5Kg) of TNT. This is solely the result of the compressive energy released, as helium does not burn. The Toyota Clarity holds 4kg of Hydrogen. Hydrogen is also diatomic so can hold compressive energy in the H-H bond as well as bulk compression. This will increase the TNT equivalent. While all such tanks are designed to leak before bursting this would still leave a fairly large hydrogen gas cloud. H2 has a very broad flammability range (4% -96% in air IIRC) and low ignition energy. So before you can say "Fuel air explosive" you should have quite an impressive bang with enough over pressure to do quite a bit of human and property damage. OTOH given its lightness a leak might disperse before ignition.

I wonder if 200 vehicles was chosen as a number which limits the chance of any of them having a major (tank rupturing) crash during the leasing period.

When would you like your Clarity delivered, sir?

my eyes , they are bleeding

God that's ugly I would rather drive a Mk1 Fiat Multipla

Boffin

@ the 3G-tards

maybe you do the upgrade while stationary?

maybe it does a download, checks it (md5 whatever) on the move but it insists on upgrade only while stationary and has some sort of roll-back (in the loader, keeps old version as backup) in case of failed upgrade. probably not that hard.

to all the other whiners:

"where's the electricity going to come from ..?."

- would you rather just wait until the petrol runs out?

"why is it so expensive ...?"

- early adoption, volume brings price down, govt subsidy

"where will I plug it in ...?"

- petrol stations would love to sell you coulombs instead, no need to do it at your house (don't keep petrol there at the moment, I expect) so don't panic about street parking. need to be able to recharge quickly, obviously - s'pect someone will make that work.

time to think a little bit, folks, in order to solve the problems rather than just bitch and moan and do nothing

Boffin

@@the 3G-tards

"to all the other whiners:

where's the electricity going to come from ..?.

- would you rather just wait until the petrol runs out?"

-- Not having enough leccy to keep the lights (and all the other essentials) on is just as bad. People are pointing out the lack of planning, and how the plans as proposed do not add up. They are not whining. If we are going to be short of electricity capacity in 5 years then planning to increase consumption drastically without building more power stations within that timeframe is reckless and doomed to fail.

"time to think a little bit, folks, in order to solve the problems rather than just bitch and moan and do nothing"

- Same unthinking argument as Gudrun Brown tries to use to fool the sheeple about the "do nothing tories" and it is just as mindless here. Trying to suggest that people who do not agree with your point of view are unthinking is as old as the hills when you have no substantial argument left yourself. No one is suggesting doing nothing, they are suggesting planning properly and doing it right rather than failing to plan or doing half the planning and it all going tits up before we end back where we are today (or worse off) and another (much needed) idea fails to fly.

Gold badge
Boffin

An inescapable fact

20% of UK electricity comes from nuclear power. Most of those reactors are coming to the end of their working lives. Quite soon they will need to be replaced by something (anything) to meet *current* leccy demands. Any scheme which plans to radically increase demand must be factored into replacement and new build plans.

If you did not know this your planning with your eyes shut.

To get the ball rolling. London pooches drop 4m tons of poo. That must generate a *lot* of Methane. its renewable and virtually in-exhaustable.

Just a thought.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018