back to article Phorm director advises UK.gov broadband minister

A member of Phorm's board also works as a taxpayer-funded broker at the heart of UK internet policy, in the very department tasked this week with responding to European Commission demands to tighten privacy laws. Kip Meek defended his dual role today, insisting his job for the Digital Britain review was completely separate to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Peter Hood
    Unhappy

Gosh

Who'd have thought that another new Labour scandal would rear its head? After all, they have only had one or two bad moments in their history, and the Poulson scandal was 37 years ago. It would be unfair to point out that, like most mortals, an extended period at the trough leads to fat piggies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Poulson

2. Lionel Baden
    Flame

dammit

Guy Fawkes had it right !!!!

and we actually celebrate him failing each year !!!!

Somebody want to help me out moving these barrels ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fingerprints all over Digital Britain and amendments in EU telecoms package

Digital Britain interim report sees no need to legislate for a neutral net! I thought it was an error but it is not.

Vivianne Reding thinks she is getting an Open Internet and a neutral net in the EU telecoms package! If she looks at the UK 'wiki ' amendments and the AT&T amendments she will find no such thing. We are getting internet access as defined by competitive forces, the same competitive force that make sure we keep paying for legacy voice services which could be serviced on our internet access. Throttling will be listed in the small print , so that's ok, and choose to refuse will be what it is today, in your cookies. This site lists the amendments - http://www.laquadrature.net/wiki/Telecoms_Package_2nd_Reading_ITRE_IMCO_Amendments#Amendment_135_.2B.2B.2B_2

All these amendments are by a committee whose job it is to protect the consumer.

4. Scott
    Thumb Down

Robots

I'm the same in my job we never discuss things at work that are not relivant to our job even if we have knowledge on another subject that could influence people.

Hey i just got a lot of cheap watches from China and have the contacts so that it is law that all people have to have cheap watches so they are not late for there re-education seminars starting up soon but i'm a moral person and would never abuse this position for finacal gain. Who do you think i am a politician/Share holder?

5. Kieron McCann

@typical el Reg fail

Kent, if you're going to post please use your real name

6. gaz

civil disobedience is the solution

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

If you have a contract with an ISP that rolls out Phorm, cancel the contract and cancel your direct debit, even if its against the terms, and move to a non Phorm ISP.

If BT rolls out Phorm an that means there are no Phormless ISP's, stop using the internet, simples!

7. Andy Watt
    Thumb Up

Phorm will still FAIL.

Today in the times -

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6097384.ece

Last time I checked Virgin used tunnelling through BT infrastructure - L2TP I think - would this render backbone Phorm-ing useless?

Hmmm.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shock horror...

...Elreg readership knee jerk reaction to Phorm story. Yawn.

9. VulcanV5

Well done, Chris.

Great journalism -- again -- from El Reg and, in particular, Chris.

@ anonymous coward's 'Elreg readership knee jerk reaction to Phorm storry. Yawn."

That's right, dear, you get off back to bed: a small brain is easily over-tired.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@VulvanV5

I agree about the article. It's a pity that just one sentence should confuse you so, but it is the comments page that is so predictable. Still as long as you are happy rocking back and forth, babbling the same mantra then there's no harm done, is there?

11. Frumious Bandersnatch Silver badge

@Kieron McCann

Hmmm.. Poe's Law (or a variant, at any rate) strikes again...

(That's what you get for not telegraphing satirical comments with the "Joke Ahead" icon, I guess)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

How do BERR know who said what...

it seems they never take any bloody notes ?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019