back to article Royal Mail disses runaway post van man

The Royal Mail has taken a less than grateful attitude towards a Bristol man who prevented a runaway post van "careering over a busy main road", as the Times puts it. Dad of two and artist Robert Moore, 63, spotted the Transit rolling backwards after the driver forgot to apply the handbrake, in an incident last September. He …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Stevie

Bah!

The Post Office should pay for his medical care and sanction the negligent driver. Fair, responsible and a near miss on a potential landmine of cost. More, they should have *offered* to do so at the time the incident was reported.

Of course, that assumes the driver filed an incident report. If the responses in this comment section are typical for the rest of the country, it would suggest he probably omitted to do that on the grounds that the only person hurt was injured because he wouldn't mind his own business.

Where do you lot think the bloody money would come from to settle the lawsuits that would arise had the van entered a busy cross street with no-one at the controls?

Azathoth on a bike!

2. Steve

Compensation

If the guy had been sitting in a car and the runaway van had hit him. then he would doubtless be due for some compensation. If he had suffered any losses due to time off work, torn clothing, etc. then that would all be included in an insurance claim.

As he was a pedestrian, evidently without personal injury insurance, he has no alternative but to sue for uninsured losses.

Regardless of this guy's case, the P.O. have a duty of care and should be held accountable for their negligence by the HSE or similar. I fail to see how they can deny their liability. Actually, that's not true. I can see. It's their policy to deny liability until they are led by the nose to it.

Now, there's a lovely image!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

They were just stalling for time

The response from Royal Mail was just an attempt by them to stall the claim, before Mandy sells them off and they don't have to worry about it anymore...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Commentards = EPIC FAIL

What the hell is wrong with everyone here??

If your kid/wife/puppy had been killed by a runaway PO van while people just stood round and watched would you:

a) Be quite happy and relieved that nobody else had sustained minor injuries saving said kid/wife/puppy

b) Be pissed off that everyone just stood around and did nothing in case they got hurt or sued for being involved?

If he had used lawyers, then that kind of response is expected, but if he had just written to them, the least they could do is send him a get well card!

Bah. ODFO you miserable lot. Hope nobody tries to help you when you're drowning

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Oliver Mayes 13:55

To say he "arrogant" and "demanded" is rather disingenuous as well as not being based on any provided facts.

As to there being no-one around to injure, again we don't know this for sure but mainly I think if you saw something like this happen, and were inclined to do something about it then you wouldn't waste time checking the trajectory and possible hazards before trying to stop the van.

But put it like this, say you saw a runaway pram with a baby in it coming towards you at speed. You would, I assume, try to save the baby and stop the pram. Assume, for me if you can, that in doing so you break your arm.

If it turns out that the runaway pram ranaway through "just one of those things" you would shrug (painfully I reckon) and get on with life.

However if it turned out that the pram ranaway because it was, say, nudged by a car through the driver's negligence, you would probably try to gain compensation off said driver for the consequences of said negligence.

If their insurance company then told you to fuck off because you could have just let the baby die and so ensured no injuries to yourself then you would likely be less than chuffed with the response.

6. alan

Re Lee

But in todays society if you try and stop said pram and fail, knock the pram over and injuring said baby, you will be sued yourself, or possibly added to sex offenders register for trying to kidnap a baby you sic peado :)

7. Fluffykins Silver badge

It would be nice to READ THE BLOODY ARTICLE!

Unfortunately there is a company that thinks so bloody little of the prople reading El reg, that it sees fit to put it's BLOODY SHOCKWAVE ADVERT on top of part of the text and doesn't bother to give it a CLOSE option.

Who else but bloody Microsoft in it's server room ad?

On the other hand, El Reg could have been a sight more aware whast they were carrying.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Too many RETARDS can't read.

If you read the local rag version that was published yesterday and not just The Register version you'll notice this intriguing statement from Mr Moore;

"It wasn't going very fast but there was a parked car it would have hit."

So, judging by his own remarks from his own words, no-one was ever in any danger. No matter how unpredictably pedestrians move.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What adverts?

Geeze Firefox and AdBlock Plus ffs no more adverts

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

technology angle

Long ago, a then roommate hopped out of his car without setting the handbrake. He got just enough steps away that he couldn't quite catch up as it rolled gently toward his girlfriend's car. Another roommie who saw the incident (say 10 mph, bent metal only) commended its comedic qualities but alas I didn't get to see it; there were no cell phones to whip out & record with.

The moral of the story: if a vehicle is rolling toward a parked car, with no prospect of injury to persons, don't skin yourself jumping in, get a video and post it to You Tube so the rest of us can enjoy it.

11. Robert Moore
    Thumb Up

Had to post here

I wonder if I am related to him.

12. pctechxp

Money grabbing old git

Hate to say it but am on the side of RM here.

It should have been others that contacted them demanding he be rewarded not him going to his solicitor and instructing him/her to write to Royal Mail asking for compensation (and I would probably be one of them)

I have a lot of time for older people but not the ones whose only motivation for doing anything is compensation.

If anyone high up in RM is reading this, don't pay this self centred old git.

13. Julian
    Thumb Down

A sign of the times!

'nuff said.

14. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

compensation?

he doesnt deserve compensation for this. remember the TV adverts. "Had an accident NOT YOUR FAULT?"

was quite obviosuly his fault for jumping in

but he should have been given something. an letter thanking him at least.

but as he asked for it. i kinda retract that statement. i dont think he should have asked.

15. raving angry loony
    Flame

@Paul re adverts

Get a real browser you wonk, because the advertisers here and elsewhere definitely aren't going to listen to your whinging about how their adverts make the site unusable and irritating to visit. They don't give a shit, because they somehow think they have a fundamental right to control MY screen, MY sound, and MY viewing. Screw that attitude.

I use firefox+Noscript+Adblock. Browsing experience is pretty good, and the only adverts I see are those that show respect for me and my viewing.

16. James Hughes

C'Mon

People seem to think he is demanding compensation for stopping the van, but the Reg article indicates he had a broken rib, and presumably other injuries. So he stopped a run away van and was injured whilst doing it. The runaway van was the responsibility of the PO. Surely that would be worth compensation?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hero?

Hero? What was on Superman's last wage slip?

He is taking the piss in asking them a letter via a lawyer.

I wonder how something like this would stand up in a court of law though?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@James Hughes

Good idea, I'm going to run into the path of runaway cars now and demand they pay out...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

If this happened in America...

...and he had not tried to stop the van, any ensuing injury to humans, dogs, or property would have clearly been his fault! His only option for the good of his kids (It is for the CHILDREN!) would be to throw himself in front of the rear of the careening van hoping for a clean kill so that his sprats have a nice financial cushion for their partying.

20. Lionel Baden

reward

I think people actually trying to help should be commended and rewarded.

they should look at the average cost of a lawsuit of that van slamming into a car killing 1 or more occupants or seriously harming them, then give him a small cut of it.

Oh hang they couldnt give a shit because they're insurance would pay.

Personally if i was the driver i would take him out for a decent lunch / dinner for saving my job !!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.