back to article Google's email service goes down

Google's Gmail has once again plummeted out of the cloud and the company is scurrying to fix the problem nearly an hour after it went titsup. The email service hit the buffers at around 10:15am GMT, and, at time of writing, it hasn't flickered back to life yet. All of which spells bad news for all those firms out there that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Posted on Google Groups

We're aware of a problem with Gmail affecting a small subset of users.

The affected users are unable to access Gmail. We will provide an

update by February 24, 2009 6:30 AM PST detailing when we expect to

resolve the problem. Please note that this resolution time is an

estimate and may change

Posted by Gmail Guide Yellow at 10:46am

Silver badge
Go

Productivity increase:)

Without email to distract me I can do some work for once!

Of course instead I'm posting here...

Anonymous Coward

Exchange for reliabilty ??

There are reliable mail servers out there, but to suggest Exchange as the bullet proof option seems far fetched

Glad it's not just me then.

So what's good about the cloud again?

Useful when around, but don't make it mission-critical, unless you like this sort of thing I guess.

Still getting '502 server error'.

ttfn

Anonymous Coward

What Outage?!

Is that just business GMail accounts? My personal account has been open and running fine all day (Tue 24th)

Paris Hilton

Working again now

People ditching Exchange for gmail? Really?

Paris Hilton

pop/imap working?

imap seems to work fine, at 12:02. Webmail not accessible, 502.

Switched everything over to gmail address on Friday after three years of testing it, DOH (Paris, cause I feel like a dope)

Linux

Cloud uptime not as good as Google blog it then..?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/what-we-learned-from-1-million.html

"Looking just at the unplanned outages that catch IT staffs by surprise, these results suggest Gmail is twice as reliable as a Novell GroupWise solution, and four times more reliable than a Microsoft Exchange-based solution that companies must maintain themselves."

Funny I still have access to my Novell GroupWise account today and so do the X number of clients we support on their own systems and less downtime then GMail in the last 12 months by the sound of it!

Figures and stats are fun :)

Paris Hilton

Web down Imap up??

Some people have been getting intermittent service via Imap (like me!) and it's fine for others.

Some have been getting the basic HTML site to work (i've not got ot to work!)

Pain in the neck! was gonna clear out 3k worth of junk emails today!

paris... 'cause when she goes down it's fun!

Thumb Up

No problems with IMAP

Though the Gmail website isn't responding, I've got no problems accessing my Gmail account via IMAP. No bloody ads either!

Flame

GFAIL

Hur Hur.

Seriously though... I'm waiting on an e-mail from an actual real-life girl here! This is UNACCEPTABLE.

email up, web down

I can't get gmail on my desktop, but I am getting it via my blackberry app, which suggests to me that the email system is working, but the web front end ain't.

That's the problem with clouds....

they just kind of evaporate without rhyme nor reason :-)

Go

Back up: 12:20

Got back in,

No problems accessing on the Jesus Phone throughout the outage though.

Thumb Up

Well, it is still in Beta

Can't wait for the moaning minnies to start complaining.

Works OK for me. Maybe they've fixed it.

Ash
Joke

Issue identified, resolution impossible

Some prankster sent a link to a Google search to a friend, who then clicked it. It was at this point that GMail servers gound to a halt at the quantity of data being pushed at them by Google. Link in full below:

*DO NOT CLICK!*

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=google

*DO NOT CLICK!*

Go

Back up now

and still saying "BETA" in the title.

You get what you pay for.

Happy

Never went down

in Malta - been using it all morning.

It's back

All seems back now

Article tone

It was kind of subtle but did anyone else get the impression that the author of the article is not a fan of Google or Gmail?

We switched to Gmail for our domain about a half year ago after finally getting fed up with our web host's numerous problems. The web host themselves were aware they sucked at email and added a simple way to switch to Gmail within their control panel. Other than a few false positives arriving in the spam folder we've been very pleased with Gmail. We use POP3 rather than the web interface so maybe that has helped.

Also, Exchange was never an option for us. For a company with < 10 people and no dedicated IT staff it would be suicide to rely on something so complicated. Plus the dynamic IP address makes things difficult.

Paris Hilton

We are entitled to complain

But perhaps we should complain "nicely and graceful". For it's free, and quite outstanding. Hilton, because she isn't. (nice, graceful, free or outstanding that is)

Black Helicopters

Change to interface...

When it popped back into existence, I had Ads displayed for the 1st time in a few years (use CustomizeGoogle Add-On in Firefox), which was a bit strange - they have now gone again \0/.

And then I noticed that new mail, is not bolding the sender's name anymore - the subject still is - (or it looks like a different font at lest).. so maybe they updated the web code and it all went a bit ... Pete Tong?

Go

Re: GFAIL

I hope that your real-life girl has contacted you now that Gmail is once again tits down. However I should warn you that I met one once - more hassle than they're worth lad.

Thumb Down

GFail isn't just free

My organisation ditched a Groupwise based solution for GFail, and they pay real money for it.

At least when your own server goes down you can normally kick it into life...

Silver badge
Flame

err... what's the problem?

Buyz'n'grrlz, just a few things to note:

1 it's _free_. If those who complain were actually paying for the service, they'd have some grounds for that complaint, but it's _free_. If you don't like the service, find another one and use that.

2 the IMAP and POP services worked without a problem, or at least without a problem that was detected here. Those who use a real email client didn't even notice that there was a problem until they saw that some wusses were complaining about a free service.

3 Goggle Central is in Deepest Kalifornia. If it broke at 10:15 GMT, that's 02:15 their time. Odds are excellent that the first team is asleep, and it'd take a while for whichever poor saps are on the night watch to either fix the problem or realise that they can't fix it and call in the first team.

4 When I first read the article about half an hour ago, 07:30 EST, or 12:30 GMT, the problem had been fixed, or at least Google's webmail service was working around here. This means that the outage was around 2 hours 15 minutes at most. Panicking and bitching and moaning about a two hour outage from a _free_ service strikes me as being... juvenile.

Silver badge

So what?

I suspect the problems started earlier. but things are working now.

Email systems go down all the time. What's the big deal? It takes time to fix things. This one, it seems, was Google's job to fix, rather than a broken Internet. I see a prompt response, maybe some reason to improve communication,and nothing extraordinary.

Oz

Sky mail still down

It's 1pm and I'm still getting "We're sorry... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. ". Clearing cookies, as suggested by them, makes no difference.

Thumb Down

Still broken.

It came up very briefly and now it's gone again. I hope they fix it soon. At this rate I'm going to have to do some w*rk.

Silver badge
Go

"Mission critical use of a free service," you say?

Didn't mirror to a local imap server you say?

Idiot I say

Actually I suspect if you look at down-time per user and compare it to most in-house solutions its probably doing pretty well.

Has no-one noticed that if you install the imap package on linux or solaris it works for all local users without any further configuration at all? I'm not sure about the rest but suse will pull email off a remote imap/pop3 server for local users with a couple of tick-boxes and the account details, so no inbound smtp to worry about.

Even if you do rely on gmail and must have the web interface, is two hours without email really a huge problem? I certainly wouldn't be looking at Exchange as an alternative.

Anonymous Coward

Big deal

This wouldn't be such big news had it happened to other web mail services.

Google have taught (and are still teaching) how web mail is done - Yahoo anyone? what a massive pile of cack. I can certainly pass them a glitch like this once every 5 years.

Flame

@Adam Shailes

You have a Novell Groupwise account? You poor sod. Groupwise is possibly the only thing I've found that makes Exchange/Outlook seem like quality products...

IPB
Paris Hilton

he he

I'm laughing because as soon as my Gmail came back I opted to install the offline feature. While backing up it offered me a link: Go into Flaky Connection Mode

Damn right.

Paris, because she goes down for hours at a time

Silver badge
Stop

A lot of fuss 'bout nowt

Airplanes don't fall out the sky, Batteries don't burst into flames, Cars don't crash, Digital TV doesn't go dead, Electricity never stops flowing, File servers never forget, Gas never leaks, Houses never subside, Ink never stains, Jump-jets always jump, never flip, Kippers never taste off, Lemmings never fall over cliffs, Mancunians are always friendly, NASA satellites work first time, Optimus Prime will not fail to appear when needed, Portaloos are never full to the brim, Questions are always answered, Realestate is never a bad investment, Shit never happens, Trains stay on their rails Users are never wrong, VP's never bugger off with the company's loot, Windows just works, X-terminals don't need complex configuration, Youths never fail to respect their elders, and Zeppelins never ignite.

That's why people expect Google to be perfect.

Anonymous Coward

I guess............

I guess they finally dragged some fécker out of bed to flick that switch back on

Anonymous Coward

Not just GMail

Hotmail was down as well...

N

99.9% availability?

Thats around 8 hours 45 minutes a year downtime.

I bet theres little chance of refunds if this is exceeded

Thumb Down

FAIL?

Either that's a witty acronym or you are a world class moron.

Go

its back

rejoice!

Thumb Up

Working

Webmail interface seems to be working again.

Pirate

DAMMIT GOOGLE

get your ass in gear !!!

We all paid good clicks for this service !!!!!

:D

gmail works on windows mobile

Oh good. It works now. I can now tell the people at Agilex, Inc. how terrible they are.

Thumb Up

'sback

'tis all

Anonymous Coward

@ Michael Hall

Really?

1 - the logs are full - never heard of backing up the databases to flush the logs?

2 - the database is full - are you kidding me? You didn't spot this in advance / increase it's size etc etc. 2003 SP2 came out a long time ago / problem doesn't exist in 2007 / never existed in Enterprise

3 - Exchange DOSed itself - given points 1 and 2 I'm not sure you are qualified to make this statement which is actually pure fantasy - it just started duplicating messages itself did it?

It's people like you who bang on about Exchange being crap without actually having the first clue about it, and probably cause more problems than the software ever did because you can't look after it.

Happy

Android

Its been working fine on my G1 all day through both my phone tied account and my other ones which I access using the generic Android Email program, and, as many others have reported the POP/IMAP/SMTP part seems to have been working fine so it really only seems to have been the web front end that has been broken.

Flame

CHRIS 11:49GMT YHBT

> Google's IMAP servers still seems to be working. If you don't want to configure an email client then you can log on via http://www.[FRICKEN' BALEETED]

NICE WAY TO GET PHISHED, IDIOT.

DO. NOT. GIVE. OUT. YOUR. PASSWORD. EVER.

*takes calm pill*

Look, even if those people are genuine, the whole idea of typing your friggin' ISP PASSWORD into some random stranger's third-party site on the web is criminally irresponsible and should not be done by anyone ever. It's f'ing stupid when Facebook suggests you give it your webmail account password so it can look up your contacts for you, but it's even more f'ing stupid to put yourself to all that risk JUST IN ORDER TO USE A WEBMAIL INTERFACE TO ACCESS SOMETHING THAT'S ALREADY WEBMAIL IN THE FIRST PLACE. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU >rage<

<goes off to bang head against wall>

WHEN *bang* WILL *bang* PEOPLE *bang* GET *bang* SECURITY?

*bang* *bang* *bang*

Flame

Exchange still has over 65% market share

...and if you know how to administer correctly it works a treat so quit your shoddy comparisons... cloud for buiness critical applications is FAIL as is marking exchange down as a bad product.

Gtards! *sigh*

g e

£-tards?

Whaddya want for nothing? LOL

I use googlemail for domains and while I can't access webmail right now it's the only time I've ever had a problem with 'em and they do better than plenty of paid-for solutions to boot!

Anonymous Coward

Actually the whole thing was down for a short while....

I have 3 gmail accounts, one accessed only by the web Interface, one thats on POP 3 and one thats on IMAP, when I realised there was an issue I checked them all and found that none were working.

Imap came back first, followed by POP 3 then the web page.

So at one point it was all down.

(And yes I did check connectivity was ok)

That's it!!

I want my money back.....

Paris Hilton

@Michael Hall

"I dont think a small mess like this would convince anybody who has been weened of exchange to go back to it"

Yeah... right...

And if you're the IT Director responsible for moving to the "cloud" and then this happens how do you think you would feel when the CEO comes to you and says "what are you doing about fixing the company-wide email outage" and you have to reply "err... there's nothing we can do about it."

Do me a favour.

(Paris because she knows what to do when things go down)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018