back to article Vodafone presents punter with £500k phone bill

A Vodafone customer from Norwich has pitched his claim for the largest ever single-person phone bill after getting a demand from Vodafone for £588,198, and fifteen pence. James Abdale, who posted the details on the Vodafone forum, was initially quite jovial about what was so obviously a clerical error, though after two hours …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Re: 24 hours

@Jason Clery

Customer "Hi, my bill is showing that I owe you £800,000. I'd like to discuss this with a manager please."

CallCentreBod "I'm sorry sir, there's nobody here that can help at the moment. Could you call back in the morning or can I get someone to call you back in the morning?"

Customer "No, it's ok. I'll hold in case a manager wanders into office due to having no social life."

20 minutes later

Customer "Has anyone appeared yet that can help?"

CCB "No sir, would you like to have someone deal with this in the morning?"

Customer "No, I'm aware this is an 0870 number and costing a fortune but I'll continue to hold".

At what point when you're told that nobody can help you at that time of the evening do you accept what you are being told?

2. Jason Clery

@AC re 24 hours

you have a transcript of the call? This is how it went down?

Or was it:

"one moment I need to transfer you" etc, etc, etc

"At what point when you're told that nobody can help you at that time of the evening do you accept what you are being told?"

right at the beginning. At what point do you trust the company to actually phone you back at a time you can talk to them. IE not in the middle of your working day?

and why are you ACing over such a mundane post?

3. peter
    Thumb Up

Resolved within 24 hours. Where do I sign up?

1. Someone actually answered the phone

2. No-one said 'Of course it is correct 'cos the computer sez so'

3. The operator was able to pass the problem to managers

4. Managers were available after 5.00pm

5. A promised callback actually happened

6. By the following morning the problem was resolved.

7. There was an immediate offer to cancel that month's bill.

Considering the number of times I have had phone calls that go unanswered for over 1/2 hour (and then get cut off), totally impossible bills which will not be corrected because the numpty on the help desk cannot do simple maths, promised callbacks that never happen and an offer of £10 after failing to resolve mistake afer mistake over a 9 month period, this is a shining beacon of customer service. Vodaphone here I come.

4. Connor Garvey
    Paris Hilton

@Jacob Lipman

Thanks. I don't often make it back to a story's comments. 411 is the number for information in the US. 911 is the emergency number and 311 is the almost-emergency number, 911 for short-tempered people (the neighbors are loud, my cat's stuck in a tree, ...).

5. Vince
    Dead Vulture

@Peter

I think you're forgetting that the significant difference between this and any other customer service situation is that the bill is of such a magnitude, that it warrants being dealt with as a priority. Try obtaining the same level of service over an everyday discrepancy instead.

6. Richard Gadsden

I make it about £13 a minute.

n/t

7. Michael King
    Paris Hilton

Get real?

Given the gazillions of subscribers to VF, plus the complex routing and managing of call data records (CDR's) and billing etc, things will go wrong now and again.... Hat's off to VF for managing the customer so well and compensating. To the punter - oh how the brits just looove to have something to winge about....

Paris - One Night In Paris could land you with an unexpected large bill ;-)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vodafone Overcharging on Passport

I went working overseas [from UK] and took my Vodafone 'Passport' with me, when I got back my bill was MASSIVE they charged me the Euro Roaming Rate for all the calls even though Passport was activated....

I rang them up and they didn't have a clue what I was on about !!! I had to tell them their own web address for Passport and tell them the country I was in and explained what the 75p/call was for... totally thick! honest!

I did however get put through to a nice Ayrshire lass who didnt really know what I was on about but refunded me anyway...

I suspect billing problems are absolutely rife in VF. Im wondering whether to stay now. I don't trust them. Certainly won't be renewing.

Whats all this with obscene data charges? What makes them think 45Gb is worth the same as purchasing a Private Jet outright.... hmm bollocks.

There should be a £100/month cap on ANY DATA downloading on ANY NETWORK ANY SIM/PLAN etc so these ridiculous bills CANNOT happen....

I think one network, maybe orange has a bit where you cap your data with an automatic £1.50 max daily charge, alright except you must remember to activate it !!!!!!! On the right tracks but customers should be automatically opted in...

9. Graeme Hill
    Coat

Per minute charging.......

Based on a £35 tariff, a £500k bill would work out (on a 30 day month) at £11.19 per minute. If the bill was before VAT then the charges would be £13.16.

Data charges would be different.......

Mobile broadband 3Gb tariff (which is £15 according to their website) would equal approx 33335 Gb of data (which is a hell of a lot of iPlayer usage) working out on a 30 day month at approx 750Mb per minute (or about 12Mb per second). To get to the 300GB of data to run this bill up, this would only be possible outside of the UK, as 300GB in the UK would result in a bill of about £4500 (considerably less, and easier to swallow) unless data was being charged at £1666 per Gb (again assuming in these calculations that they are allready including VAT)

If you know any provider in the UK you can get that kind of speed with, please let me know.

Mines the one with Live Fast, Die Broke on the back

10. pctechxp
    Happy

@Spanky McG

I just let the money come out of my account.

Well Lord/Lady McG all I can say is I can see the word mug stamped on your head from here.

Companies will try and take as much money as they can from you if they think they can get away with it so goodness knows how much you have lost over the years.

I go over bills with a fine tooth comb even if it paid by DD (I keep DD payments to a minimum because its a licence to rob you blind)

Might I suggest you ask your butler (Jeeves/Hobson/Smyth) to check your bill every so often as Voda could be robbing you without you knowing it and surely you'd prefer your income from your directorships/trust funds/stocks and shares to be earning interest in your Coutts account wouldn't you?

Mine's the one with the Kugerrands in the pockets.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like