back to article 3G iPhone not ready for the enterprise?

Business users are complaining they have little idea of what the new iPhone will offer them, other than the fact that the low price is going to see every middle manager toting one while their IT departments fret about the lack of encryption and security on the phone. Analyst J.Gold reckons businesses should be nervous of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Carl Williams
    Flame

RE:"The safest shop is a closed one "

"I have a work blackberry and a personal iPhone. The IT department recently discovered the BB's fantastic security features and turned them all on. As a result, the phone runs like a dog and I run out of battery just after lunchtime. I've stopped calling from it because the password requirements are ridiculous and it always takes 3 times to get it right. In short, they've turned a great business phone into a useless piece of plastic junk.

So, I've diverted my BB number to the iPhone and regularly have to forward business emails from the company's fantastically secure servers to my personal account on privy GMail so I can actually access my data and do my work. the BB stays at home most days."

You would be one of those twats that would leave a laptop on a train with my confidential details on. You will have already broken company policy by forwarding potentially confidential mails to an outside account so are already guilty of Gross Misconduct. I hope that your IT dept have knowledge of this and you are sacked you self important moron.

2. John Milne
    Happy

3G why ?????

I have an original version of iPhone, cracked to work on any network, I travel all over Europe every month, it works great for e-mail, an absolute breeze.

I also have a 3G data card for my laptop (also Apple), there is so little functioning 3G everywhere, that you will be incredibly lucky so ever see in improvement in data transfer speed.

Personally, I will be upgrading my existing iPhone software to version 2.0 for working on any network, and I don't care about 3G as higher speed is a myth.

I have had cellphone since the technology started (Motorola mobile Brick) and all kinds of smartphones, the iPhone outshines them all.

3. Philip Machanick
    Stop

stop worrying about secure email

Anyone who thinks email is secure should take a careful look at the SMTP protocol. If the mail stays strictly within your organization or over encrypted links, you have some chance.

Accidentally include a Cc: or Bcc: somewhere that you didn't intend, and you can sent the latest spy stories out to the whole world, without even leaving something on the train.

You are much better off assuming email isn't secure and not using it to send information around that is not for public consumption.

4. Ascylto

What?

"Even Microsoft, with the new services they're going to offer ... will allow encrypting files on the device ..."

I just love it!

The notion that "Microsoft ... will"

When?

5. Henry Wertz Gold badge

iPhone isn't ready for the enterprise

To get it out of the way ahead of time, iPhone isn't a smartphone. Smartphones allow the user to install any app compiled for that phone; iPhone doesn't (without jailbreaking it.. a *jailbroken* iPhone would count as a smartphone, but that's not how it ships and Apple actively is trying to prevent the customer from doing this.)

The article isn't arguing the iPhone is necessarily a bad phone -- but, the enterprise has developed very specific features a phone has to support. It either a) has to be super-stripped.. you can't leak much info by losing a phone or whatever if the phone just doesn't do anything interesting. b) Be able to be kept under IT's thumb. A blackberry or the like, they can disable the camera, block or allow as much software installation as they want, encrypt and password-protect everything, and even remotely disable the phone (so a stolen phone can become a paperweight.)

As for O2 speeds -- maybe they aren't throttling. The peak speed is (depending on what version of HSDPA is deployed) 1.8, 3.6, 4.8, 7.2 or 14.4mbits, but that's if you're the only user, close enough to the site, with a phone that supports it, and a site that has that much backhaul. I don't know what the capacity is for an HSDPA cell, but oversubscription's a definite possibility. If you're far from the site, speeds will of course drop. The phone or card, that's certainly a factor -- if it's UMTS (but not HSDPA) the max would be 384kbps for instance. And backhaul -- I don't know about in UK, but here in the states, some rural EVDO sites (there's basically no rural HSDPA, AT&T has HSDPA only in citites) have a single T1 running to them.. so the site *could* do 3.1mbits/sec over the air, but the backhaul can do 1.5mbits/sec.

@AC that forwards stuff from his secure Blackberry to insecure iPhone: You're a moron. Others have already told you why. Talk to IT, don't just subvert security. It's there for a reason.

@R C: You have it ass backwards. Almost EVERY phone offers what the iPhone has, and then some, other than having a shitty interface. And, yes, I WOULD rag on a gold-plated phone, that'd be an enormous waste of money that adds no functionality to my phone, and would be tacky. I don't know what your beef is against IT types, so I'm not even responding to the rest.

6. pctechxp
    Jobs Horns

Apple lovin' muppets

Oh dear

Sure the iphone looks great and the interface is flash but thats about it.

The original sucked and so will this, well fool the dipsticks that shelled out the £269 for the original and then are being asked for more money.

Jobs and Apple make Gates and Ballmer look like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, Apple even had the cheek to charge for a firmware upgrade that included applications for their ipod with bells and whistles which should have been on the shipped product, I'm talking of course about the touch.

Eveil Steve because he wants to suck you dry.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like