back to article MPs pile pressure on ISPs over Phorm

Don Foster, the Liberal Democrat shadow secretary of state for culture, media and sport, has written to the chairman of BT asking him to explain his firm's secret trial of Phorm's advertising technology last summer. Meanwhile William Hague, the Conservative's shadow foreign secretary, has written to the Department for Business …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Up

@Peter White

Well done, it's nice to have everything in one place. Much appreciated.

Re:Do not want Phorm at all!

"Given Phorm's history (as 121Media) I wouldn't trust them not to profile my data even if I *was* opted out. The only way to be sure you're not being spied on by Phorm is to use an ISP that has nothing to do with them."

Actually, the only way to be REALLY sure would be not to use the web at all, given their history in malware and hidden "bundled" installs.

As long as it is specific opt-in (i.e. you have to physically tick the box yourself rather then forget to untick one that is left already ticked) then I don't see it as a problem. So few people will bother to opt-in that it'll die a death before very long.

Sam
Go

Grey area

"Finally we will hear how a * rouge * employee of Phorm has been harvesting credit cards and identities."

If you mean they will be ground into a fine powder if I catch up with them, then it's nit a spooling mistook.

Thumb Down

I Won't be voting for Kate Hoey MP

Sent her a lengthy email explaining Phorm and my concerns over three weeks ago and have received no reply - nothing!

She won't be getting my vote.

Thumb Up

Share price still falling and ePetition nears 10,000

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail%3Fcode%3Dcotn:PHRM.L&it%3Dle

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/

Happy

Virgin are weakening - keep up the pressure

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/webwise.php

says

We are currently at the early stages of working to deliver the Webwise solution and will be writing to you nearer the time to advise when the solution will be ‘switched on’ providing more detail of what this will mean to you. Given the benefits of Webwise, we’re pleased to be offering you this service and making your web experience safer and more relevant.

BUT

customer service have gone from quoting the above to

"Ultimately customers will not be forced to use the system and will be able to keep their Internet experience just as it is now should they wish.

To reiterate, no solution has yet been implemented and will not be until we are confident that it is compliant to do so, in accordance with Regulation 6 of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

"

Quoting

Helen At*****

E-Contact Team

29th March

(She will know who she is, I respect her right to privacy, wonder if they will do the same for me)

Joke

Aren't these complainers just Google employees

Go on, admit that you just want Google's adSense to be the monopoly on carefully targetted advertisiting on your screen.

BS

----

as most isps buy bandwith from bt, with the large increase in internet traffic seen over the last few years they need a better way of making money. this can either be passed directly onto the consumer in increased fees...

----

Bollocks, basically.

ISPs are charged for data transfer in the same way that web hosting companies are charged for data transfer - it's exactly the same thing but in the other direction.

That being the case VirginMedia charges me £25 a month - with fair usage and traffic shaping policies (300 meg in "primetime" before shaping) - and that's cable not DSL.

My web host charges me on data transfer - a 2 gig limit a month, go over that and they just roll the additional charge over. Totally painless, totally simple - I pay for what I use (or rather what my visitors use). As long as I'm within 2 gigs a month this service costs me £15 a YEAR; 1/20th the price.

The ONLY reason ISPs charge the amount they do per month is so that those of us who don't transfer a whole lot of data (don't use iTunes, BBC iPlayer nor transfer movies/music over p2p) subsidise those that do. About the most data intensive website I visit is YouTube, other than that it's software and games patches.

Bring on price-per-gig billing, I could potentially save a fortune and not only that, it could get rid of all these crappy "fair use" policies and idiotic moneyspinning ideas like Phorm. If I was on DSL I'd just switch suppliers, but I'm not losing cable TV/Internet to switch to Freeview/DSL (I'm in a flat - satellite dishes are a no no).

Oh, and it'd make the movie industry happy because p2p-ing movies would probably cost as much as buying the physical media; especially for older moves as you can pick them up for £3 - £5 in sales.

@AC Response from Virgin

I've got exactly the same letter in my inbox at home - so I sent a detailed reply about Phorm, the Data Protection Act, RIPA legislation and AOL's bungle with displaying search results (and how people were identifiable through that very limited amount of data - nothing like the amount Phorm will harvest).

I had a phone call yesterday - unfortunately it was a customer care rep who was in over his head within the first 20 seconds - but he said he'd escalate it (we'll see).

Anonymous Coward

@Aren't these complainers just Google employees

No, different thing altogether. It's not the ad serving (we can always block ads), it's the illegal interception that's bothering us. Just in case you hadn't worked it out.

BTW my 2nd complaint to ISPA has just been made. BT still declined to reply to the first ISPA complaint or any made directly to them from me before that. BT are clearly worried.

central resources

what we need is a central location to keep all the issues, websites, email addresses and places to write to, to complain so we can maximise and co-ordiate everything against phorm, is anyone aware of a site or blog like this?

we also need standard letters that list the issue we are complaining about to the relevant recipient of the complaint,

one to each of the following

ISP

to register your position on phorm and specifically remove permission for them to profile your data or pass it via profiler

info commisioner

to register a complaint with regards to BT, VM, TT and Phorm potentially breaking RIPA and the DPA, even if the user opts in

MP

general complaint, plus info on their comms to constituants and researchers web activity being profiled if using one of the 3 ISP's etc

home secretary

as it involves BT's breach of RIPA last year during trails of webwise, and potential breaches of RIPA and DPA in the future, and possibly the national security implications of governmet officials web activities being profiled etc

MEP

as it could involve european law, in particular human rights act, as right to privacy would be infringed

local press

make more people aware of the potential issues

bbc watchdog

as local press but more national coverage

have i missed anything??

Stop

important question

does BT have any plans of rolling phorm out OR profiling the traffic of ISP's that buy web access from BT and resell it under their own brands

if they were to do this by changing the T's & C's to the smaller ISP's would the smaller ISP then have to change their customer T's & C's or would it go through quietly until someone noticed?

this seems to be a point that has been missed

Stop

phorm opt-in broken

look at the link

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?p=199729

it shows how a dubious website can opt you in without your knowledge, using standard cross site request forgery techniques

so if you visit a site it can put an opt in cookie on your pc without your knowledge

then it is down to whether webwise process the opt out or opt in cookie first

hmm looking more dubious and less secure all the time

What Early Day Motion?

My MP can't locate Don Foster's reported Early Day Motion. Is he really tabling one, or is it another MP? Or have we been misinphormed?

fiddler

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: What Early Day Motion?

I have been told by his office that he intends to table the motion. Suggest you contact them for when it'll go on the books.

- Chris

Don Foster's EDM

Thanks Chris.

f

Go

Don Foster's EDM

Hi all,

Don Foster's EDM has now been tabled and has the number 1311. Please get your MP to sign it.

Thanks.

Washington Post article on Phorm type spying.

Scumware companies like Phorm have been deploying similar technologies in the US using the same shameful tactics as BT. Testing without consent or knowledge of ISP customers, burying changes to T&Cs deep within the usual legalistic bullshit they use to cover their backsides. Obscuring so-called 'opt out' choices by making them hard to find. Spinning the same 'we know what you do, but we don't know who you are' fairytales as Phorm.

Activists in the US are stirring into action using what is left of their constitutional rights to oppose this 'peeping tom' technology. Read more here:-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/03/AR2008040304052.html

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017