back to article Adobe opens Photoshop for freetards

Adobe today launched a free version of Photoshop online. Called Photoshop Express, the software has many of the basic functions of its paid-for cousin. Users will be able to upload photos to the Photoshop Express site, edit them and then store them online. Features include airbrushing (particularly useful for celebrity models …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Stop

@ "Freetard" whiners

So someone called you a name? Get over it, this isn't your MySpace page or something.

Black Helicopters

Stupid Sarah Bee

It's not satircal, it's insulting. Satire may offend, but does so by parody, by making someone or some action seem foolish.

Sheridan was a fine satrist.

Swift was a fine satirist.

James Barrie was a fine satirist.

Those understood satire.

All you can manage is crude insults.

Thumb Up

Save the freetards!

Wow, I have NEVER seen so many el reg commenters offended by a little light-hearted name calling. For people that always seem to delight in mocking people who pay for software ("paytards", if you will), you sure get sensitive and demand political correctness when the tables get turned. (I forget, haven't I seen a similar term regularly directed towards IE users?) And the funny thing is that the tables haven't even turned - el reg is obviously supportive of everything free and would certainly include themselves in the freetard epithet.

Calm down, folks. If anything, it's the real retarded folk who should be offended by el-reg's associating them with penny pinching software cheapos.

As for me, I just gave my pirated version of MS office the boot and gave open office a try. So far, it's only crashed my machine twice. Somebody give those open sourcers a medal!

Anonymous Coward

I vote keep using Freetard - it amuses me

Just like I smile (really more a sneer) a little whenever I see M$, Micro$oft, Microshaft, Windoze, fanboi, and the excellent newcomer Paytard being used.

@Sarah

The problem with "freetard" is twofold -

1) You guys seem to be extending its (fairly rightful, to be fair) original use as a dig at people who will pirate things because they don't want to pay for them to now encompass anyone who's happy to use *freeware*. They're two entirely different things. The former is criminal, the latter is an entirely legal (and logical) choice based on cost vs functionality. As others have noted, you guys are using open source software to run the Reg site, for goodness sakes. If you want "freetard" to maintain some sort of punch as an insult, use it against the people who are doing something *wrong*.

2) "Retard" still isn't big or clever as an insult. It's down there with "spaz", frankly. I thought we'd all moved on since the playground? Language can move on all it likes, but some things remain offensive. Would you base a humourous composite epithet around the word "spastic"? What about "n*gger"? No? Well then.

Unhappy

It's not the free that's the problem...

The word retard is not acceptable. Disguising it as freetard no more so. There are some words we don't use in polite company any more (OK, including El Reg readers in that category is stretching it a bit) like queer, cripple and "the N word" (see, I can't even type it)

I don't object because it is an insult to me, but because retard is a word I am not comfortable with. I don't think I am alone in this.

Before anyone comes in with the "Political correction gone mad" argument (and that should be Political correction gone psychologically challenged, btw</joke>) it isn't. This is having some respect for people who aren't as lucky as us, rather than throwing insulting words around.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah

I get it, but context is everything.

@Sarah

Well, quite. But you're still now using it as an insult against people using freeware, rather than just idiots who think they have some god-given right to pirate software. It's like calling people who shop at Wilkinson's "cheaptards". There's no satirical point to be made, there.

The original point seems to have been lost in the "oooh, we've found a new insult that winds loads of people up. Let's use it at every available opportunity" sniggering and giggling.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: @Sarah

>>The original point seems to have been lost in the "oooh, we've found a new insult that winds loads of people up. Let's use it at every available opportunity" sniggering and giggling.

I fail to see the issue with this. Meheh.

But, really, it is possible to satirise your own satire. Without the world collapsing in on itself. Much.

eep

*implodes*

Anonymous Coward

Vote to keep Freetard

Have people just woken up? There are 4,400 hits for "Freetard" at www.theregister.co.uk

It's a great word for the nutters who hate paying for music: BoingBoing and Torrentfreak readers who live in their parents' basements etc.

It's dumb when applied to Open Source stories, and even dumber when used for "cheap software". Choosing to use open source does not make you retarded - nor does making a rational decision to pay less for a product or service (but still pay). That's called getting a good deal.

Nevertheless, I vote to keep - so long as it's applied to the people who really deserve it: freeloaders.

Coat

How's paying for things bad, exactly, freetards?

No, but thanks. I've got my Helicon Filter Pro for any editing needs and SmugMug.com Power account for any photo storing needs for about 80 USD a year and I don't regret it. In exchange I get reliabilty, constant updates, speedy customer service and

good feeling of supporting folks, that really work hard.

...the one with Doraemon, thanks.

*slam*

Linux

<insert title>

I'm a proud freetard, paytard and wintard, but not an itard (thank FSM). It's a joke, get over yourselves.

Thumb Down

Go with Picknik

I'm sorry, I think Adobe is late to the party. They were supposed to have this out, what, 9 months ago? I think Picknik <http://www.picnik.com/> is a better way to go. It's free and you don't have to register.

I have, use, and teach PS CS3, but if you just need basic photo editing, I'm recommending Picknik to everyone.

Thumb Down

@Sarah Bee

Yes indeed, Sarah, it's all about context. Why all these whiners can't accept "freetard" as a satirical term is beyond me. But maybe it's time we come up with an alternative to appease El Reg's readers. I'm not as gifted with words, but here's a suggestion. How about a takeoff on something to do with people in wheel chairs? Ooo, hang on, I've got a better one... how about HIV/AIDS - that would be hilarious! Or maybe better yet we somehow connect 'free' with being female - everyone knows women are pathologically unable to resist a really good deal when satisfying their feminine urges to shop. No? I didn't think so. Grow up, Sarah.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017