back to article Jodrell Bank offloaded on eBay

Following the recent news that the government's popular Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) has decided to pretty well destroy UK radio astronomy, we're saddened to note that Jodrell Bank observatory is up for sale on eBay: Jodrell Bank auction on eBay The blurb elaborates: "Despite the fact that $8 million has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coat

JB was in a Dr Who Episode once

All Dr Who sites should be preserved for eternity and for British pride.

Mine's the overcoat with the extra long scarf.

Pirate

Petition's address

You seem to have wrong idea about the petition. You don't send it to Gordon Brown. You send it to David Cameron under the header: If you save Jodrell Bank, we the signatories will never vote for labor again...

That will get their attention.

Gold badge
Coat

Look on the bright side.

The record for World's largest Wok is there for the taking now.

Coat please, I've got 200 tons of Kung Pao Chicken to make up and I need to put some loo roll in the freezer.

Thumb Up

I'm with Rob Uttley - revenue from Sky sponsorship!

The Sky sponsership isn't such a bad idea :) isn't it only £80m their short of? Sky could perhaps spare that from their coffers for the image rights of having the Sky_ HD painted on it... then they could use it as the cutscene betweeen shows, and have a web addresss where people could find out more.

Then the other TV companies might even start funding their own scientific projects to compete!

</optimism>

Bronze badge
Alien

Science already knows everything...

...so why do we need instruments to look for more stuff?

The fact is that the more you know, the more there is to know. You can't tell where knowledge might lead, which might be scary for the government. It's unlikely that £2.5 Million would scrap this if there was not an adgenda to do so.

I have signed the petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RadioAstronomy/

and expect to be ignored. I think that must be the point of these. Get's you to feel like you have done something when you have really done very little.

Flame

melt it down...

they could always melt it down and sell it as scrap and use the money to recover 0.001% of the money being spent in Iraq each day. Idiots!

I like the Sky sponsorship idea. I wonder if it's legal? If hope so! Is the JB entirely goberment funded? I can see the adverts now, to get the "Sky+++" package you need a dish like this!!! :-)

Stop

STFC

Stop The F**king Country! I want to get off!

Uni Of Manchester

I spoke to my tutor about this last week (physics department) who is heavily involved with Jodrell and he was pretty bloody pissed off about it. He did say there is a lot of behind the scenes arguing going on and that there is funding to last like 18 months or so, but they will fight the whole way.

Anonymous Coward

Swindon Town Football Club

is the name the cut-and-shut job that is STFC acquired internally at CCLRC (don't know about at PPARC, they seem generally to have been ignored - as everybody predicted because funding councils have a fetish for bricks and mortars under central control, not distributing research grants to Universities).

(If you didn't realise, Swindon is the Siberia to which Whitehall has decided the research councils must be exiled).

The budget cuts are an interesting contrast to the money apparently around for "commercial" projects at STFC it would seem, like business parks on the CCLRC site....

Go

you can still buy it here!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140213485234&Category=211&_trksid=p3907.m29

The last time I looked the current bid was £910,946.00.

It's now in London though. I'm not sure how they got it there, surely someone would've noticed it was missing.

GO because this may have more effect than e-petitions.

vote with your suitcase

I pay my taxes to the Lithuanian Mafia because they are less corrupt than uk.gov ;)

Go

you can still buy it here! (part 2)

See previous comment for the link. Current bid so far is: £1,000,100.00.

Not long to go now. 13-Mar-08 23:21:46 GMT (1 day 1 hour) :(

Stop

Jodrell Bank...

the only bank the UK govt won't bail out....

Thumb Down

I had a thought this afternoon

I was sitting outside earlier on and came up with the following;-

Radio Astronomy monitors stuff in outer space, such as the Sun and stuff like that. Sir Patrick Moore said that in 2003 (when record temperatures were set) that it was solar activity (gamma and alpha as well as X-ray bursts, i.e. nuclear explosions on the surface of the Sun) that was causing the atmosphere to heat up. As a layman, I believe that Sir Patrick knows his stuff and being the man he is, wouldn't be inclined to tell lies. This doesn't really fit in with government policy on climate change, and Sir Patrick's explanation didn't get much press. It seems the classic "fit our solution to the problem (even if it is wrong, unworkable or way off the mark)" stamp of inept government. It is more than probably this that has led to funding cut.

Happy

that e-bay result in full

Winning bid: £9,999,999.99. That should sort it out.

see previous comment for the link.

A smiley cos it made me laugh.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018