back to article Why you should care that Jimmy Wales ignores reality

Even if the colonel were disobeying a Twenty-seventh Air Force order by making you fly more missions, you'd still have to fly them, or you'd be guilty of disobeying an order of his. And then the Twenty-seventh Air Force Headquarters would really jump on you. - Catch-22 Late last year, in the wake of our story on Wikipedia, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

I wasn't kidding

I know El Reg gets money from ads, but don't you accept donations from happy readers as well?

Alert

Re: Citizendium

Max,

I'm not sure what you're referring to re: our article creation policy: it's totally open. We (Citizendium) are actually ahead of where Wikipedia was after its first year in terms of amount of content. Something tells me we're ahead on quality, too.

Mike

Pirate

The best thing that can be done with Wikipedia

Create Wikipedia 2, Wikipedia 3, etc. (of course with other names and organization). The problem with Wikipedia is that it lacks competition (Britannica is not competitive because you have to pay for it and almost anything else you find in the net is a mirror of Wikipedia, not any competence).

So every secret agent, public relations, political flamer, copyright purity watcher, etc. can fully concentrate in a single site without fear of damaging its credibility/competitivity nor alienating its mostly volunteer unpayed editors, who have nowhere else to go. Would there be a handful of English-language Wikipedias, maybe even copying one each other for the bulk of the stuff, but with some differences, it would be good for each of them.

It's lack of competence what is harming Wikipedia.

I want to create a Wiki2 focused based in intolerance for fascists and zionists all alike, favoritism for anything minoritary and Peters projection maps, with administrators elected and not appointed and so on. A loose copyright policy and no bots allowed at all. Anyone?

I mean, it doesn't seem so difficult. Less criticism, more positive action.

@John Stirling

You're fired.

Dave.

(Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: I wasn't kidding

Thanks for the offer, Ted.

You could always buy a Reg t-shirt at cash'n'carrion, I suppose.

Thumb Up

Which sort of -ism?

@"Wikipedia practices a sort of information marxism"

By Anonymous Coward

Posted Thursday 6th March 2008 16:49 GMT

A sort of, but with a crucial difference - marxism never needed to revise or falsify history, because that is what justifed its existence! Google (not wiki) about and you will find an Ism that doesn't need to be qualified by "a sort of".

Would that be Onanism?

The icon? Guess...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017