back to article Three Little Pigs book deemed offensive to Muslims

A digital book based on the story of the Three Little Pigs has been rejected by judges presiding over the annual BETT awards of the government's educational technology tentacle, Becta, because the literary deployment of porkers "raises cultural issues". The CD-Rom - produced by Newcastle-based Shoo-fly - is aimed at primary …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coat

It looks worse from the sharp end

As a photographer/desogner, I spent a good few years learning about this crap the very hard and painful way.

You get a group of people ( all races etc) together to shoot an illustrated cover for an AIDS pamphlet, you shoot them in various places and situations. You pick the best image for the most prominent part of the cover montage. Then some prick points out that having two black people on the cover "reinforces the stereotype that AIDS comes from Africa". You feel the grip of inner fear and loathing as a number of other people, clearly closely related to chickens, see the light and declare that they thought that all along. You spend the next four days rearranging the images till the message is clear and everyone (short of the target audience) is happy: white males perpetuate AIDS.

You produce an illustrated map showing various local facilities, one of which is a city farm. Since one of the most prominent attractions at the farm are the pigs, you use a porcine image. A local "community leader" complains that this offends (presumably all) local muslims, and suddenly a hundred other (mainly white) people see why this is a dreadful mistake. The obliging taxpayer-funded producer of the map takes this seriously and pulps the 10,000 alreay printed, and reprints the map sans porker.

I could fill a War and Peace sized book with this crap, which thankfully doesnt darken my door these days. You realise that behind every over-sensationalised headline lurks a mountain of truth.

Do a couple of years of it and you can spot a racial/religious/sexual slur at 500 paces in a martian sand storm. You start to get the guilts when you ask for a "white" coffee in Burger King, and it really is time to get out when a nondescript background texture you created for a document starts to look like a giant vagina if you squint hard enough. Do it now or you WILL eventually end up using a giant vagina as a background texture in revenge at the indignities heaped on your creative talent.

The culprits are not always white back whipping middle class guilt trippers, but whatever their demographic profile, they would all qualify for that label at least on a moral level. The self appointed community leaders frequently provide the spark, but the conflagration that follows is largely kept burning by a government funded species of GM chicken, quite distinct from human beings, that seems to exist in a weird and seperate space-time continuum that slightly overlaps ours, where sanity is the exception and misplaced guilt is a law of physics.

Bacon sarnie anyone?

Various thoughts

@Kenneth Ross

Good on them if they feel that teaching MS specific products is bad. I agree. Teach the process and ideas, not the product specifics. I'm not against installing MS Office in schools, but provide Open Office along side to show the difference (and even let those who chose it use it).

Your logic that they will be using MS Office in the workplace is ignorant and stupid. For starters, since Office 2007 is totally different to Office 2003, what good is learning a product that could be totally redesigned by the time you finish school?

@Adam Williamson

No. Most haven't read it. I haven't. But I'm fairly sure you only need to look at the arguments put forward to conclude that BECTA are political correctness retards. Might offend builders? Yeah right... I suspect only cowboy builders will be offended, to which no-one should have sympathy.

The Muslim argument sounds like a poorly thought excuse after they decided they didn't like the book calling builders cowboys. Perhaps someone on the panel has a builder for a relative, and saw similarity to said relative.

Orwell

Animal Farm? Ban it! And while we're at it, get rid of "1984". It's too close to the Government's Five Year Plan.

Menks, the lot of of 'em.

Flame

Nanny state anyone?

I am constantly surprised that the "powers that be" actually believe we still need to be bottlefed to protect our feelings. What the hell is the world coming to?

Can't call a "black board" a black board? It's black in colour hence the fucking name!

3 little pigs? Let me guess, vegetarians may be offended?

It's high time these halfwhits realised that sometimes things are exactly what they say they are and are not making a subliminal political statement.

Freud once said "A spoon is sometimes just a spoon". I really despair at this bollocks to be honest. Only recently my colleague who works for the council IT department was chastised for saying a switch port is "disabled". It was offensive to non-able bodied individuals.

What the fuck? It's a switch port for godsake, it's either enabled or disabled?

Kill me now!

Pirate

More Honesty

Clearly the y should ammend their sdecision to read:

"While the book was not deemed offensive by any Muslims, Builders or indeed Pigs we spoke to, it is deeply offensive to wet white liberals who are the only people who really count......."

Dead Vulture

Burn the Books! Burn the Books!

So, you are going to burn books again in Britain ?

I thought we talked about this already and decided that we shall not do so? What did we call it... Enlightenment ?

Heh - those were the days...

Happy

... not as offensive as something I just thought of

3 - little pigs is not a cultural reference - it's an insult to fat people. The story is even more insidious though, by raising the obvious question, "and where were the police when that big nasty wolf was blowing those chubby little pink brothers?" OMG Whatda-phuk-amIsaying?

Anonymous Coward

PC gone mad

"I say that there must be some truth in the news article otherwise theregister would not have posted it. It is political correctness like this that breaks down the relationship between different communities with different beliefs."

I'm don't agree. You should never take the word of any news organization at face value. In this case it looks as though certain (ridiculously stupid) comments were highlighted taken out of context - with any luck the person won't be placed in a position of responsibility again. There is no evidence to support the assertion that any of these comments were taken into consideration during the judging.

It's equally valid to argue that the media in raising the comments of one stupid individual encourage the breakdown of relationships between communities. The liberal press are equally - perhaps more - guilty of this when someone goes off-message.

Everyone makes stupid comments sometime. It would be nice if we recognized these as stupid comments, and had a quiet word - rather than viewing them as a portent of the downfall of civilization. After all - this is itself a version of PC gone mad. Just from a different political perspective.

Flame

2020 The year they Ban Sausages.

Go on Gordon Brown, ban sausages. Actually no, why not just go the whole way and ban pigs in this country all together.

If politics offends me then surely it should be banned as well, no?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018