back to article Israel electric car project aims to wipe out oil

Israel today announced backing for Project Better Place, intended to switch motor transportation from oil to electric, and by a massive coincidence one of the project's prime movers, Shai Agassi of Better PLC, was evangelising at the DLD (Digital Life, Design) show in Munich. His objective, he says, is to "take one country off …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

"the value of the USD$ would plummet like a stone..."

"...If that was to happen then it is likely that it would default on the present massive debts it has..."

Which would suddenly be less massive because they're dollar denominated?

It's the Chinese that would get it in your scenario, because they have huge US currency reserves.

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: @ herman (Bad batteries)

The pricing model they're suggesting is that you buy miles, not batteries. The batteries remain the property of the distributing company, and you pay for 200 miles. So long as you get that, you don't give a hoot about the age of the battery, is their theory.

Go

Go IL

We have to reduce our dependance on oil, and this is an excellent step on that way. Good on you Israel.

To you cynics - what are your plans for a post-oil world then?

Paris Hilton

Wipe Out Oil???

Since when did they start making cars that didn't require grease. Last I knew, ball bearings and other moving parts still require petroleum products...

Coat

Re: Congrats to F-Zero ref.

> By Alex D

> Posted Tuesday 22nd January 2008 22:41 GMT

> Go

>

> - There's a whole lot of work being done on Lith-ion, lith-poly and the more exotic batteries which is making them much more efficient- maybe not quite Moors Law, but not too far off (I run a company selling lith-battery products). So the main argument against the electric vehicles will dwindle away as tech improves.

<End quote>

Err ... Do you mean "Moore's Law" ("The number of devices on a chip doubles every 18 months."), or is "Moors Law" some principle recognised by the Arabic conquerors of medieval Spain? If the latter, could you state this law?

Could it have something to do with the dependence of the western democracies on Middle-Eastern oil, and the consequent funding of Wahhabi propaganda by Saudi Arabia using oil revenues?

I think we should be told.

That's my burkha hanging up there!

Econ 101

@Austin Tayshus

It doesn't matter where Israel itself buys its oil from. If Israel were to nuke oil producing countries, the global supply of oil would drop, which would cause the global price of oil to rise, assuming demand remains the same. If Israel wants to nuke an OPEC nation without taking a hit to what it pays for energy, they need to get off oil entirely.

Off oil? Not bloody likely

Oil isn't just used to make petrol/gas and car grease. It's also the primary product behind pretty much all plastics and polymers. So, given that Israel is going to ditch oil, what exactly do they intend making their plastics out of? I take it that's not Agassi's department either...

Happy

Israel's Launch of a National Electric Car Program

In recent years, Israel has developed and popularized numerous new leading edge technologies ranging from ICQ to the use of nanotechnology in medical procedures. Israel's decision to implement a national electric car strategy is excellent news for since the vehicle exhaust is the single largest source of the Green House Gases that are contributing to global warming. The documentary film "Who Killed the Electric Car" tells the sorry saga of how the north american auto industry with the support of the oil industry destroyed its own electric car initiatives. If this national experiement is successful in Israel there is no reason that it can't be emulated around the world, leading to numerous and dramatic positive economic and environmental changes for our whole planet.

Leon Wasser MBA, P.Eng.

President, Green Market Canda

The Canadian Green Building Portal

www.Green-Market.ca

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Off oil? Not bloody likely

He claims 50 per cent of oil is used to power cars, 20 per cent for 'plastic bags etc' and 30 per cent for other industrial processes. So while there's clearly hyperbole to the "off oil" target, taking cars out of the picture makes a big dent. How much the trend away from plastic bags will reduce the total depends on how big that 'etc' is, I suppose.

Boffin

ICE

<quote>"Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)"

Thank you!!! I'd been struggling with that for quite a few posts.

</quote>

Ah, so I was not alone. At the first mention, I thought they were talking about the Inter-City Express, and wondered how the hell would a train be *less* efficient than a 1-person run car. Fortunately, "smelly ICEs" gave away what the acronym would mean.

Though if you're using EV, the correct acro would be ICV, wouldn't it? ;)

As for battery swap, there is also those "flow batteries" mentioned some time ago... only swap over the fluids. Maybe even quicker than the battery swap :)

Flame

This is a good thing!

The fact that this is happening Israel is a good thing.

A few years back now, all the major car companies (GM etc) were researching "green" cars, do you not remember the constant talk of the millions of dollars that were being sunk into R&D?

Well Geroge W. had a word. It wasn't really "good for the country" at that point to seriously start thinking about moving away from Oil. Not when it was his family business after all. So they didn't, research budgets were cut, and the US suggested the TOTAL waste of time: Carbon trading.

For those who don't know, carbon trading is essentially the Americans, justifying using their SUVs and releasing vast amounts of Co2 by bunging developing nations a few quid and saying that they were using their carbon quota.

This money then gets spend on useful things for the developing nation, like guns, bombs, knives and khaki.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018