back to article Home Sec in anti-terror plan to control entire web

UK Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has decided to mount a push against cyber terror, in which the internet itself will somehow be modified to prevent people using it for terrorist purposes. Today, Ms Smith addressed an international conference on radicalisation and political violence. Much of the speech was about engagement with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

The government can't...

...fight their way out of a wet paper bag. They want to strengthen laws to prevent extremist websites. Don't me laugh. The law will have zero effect on the ground, even if they manage to get it on the statute books.

Last night's Newsnight item on Terrorist007 highlighted it perfectly. They described him as "sophisticated" and "technically adept" among other things. He might have been a good propagandist but everything I saw didn't add up to being sophisticated in the technical sense. To a luddite may be he does. First of all, at least one researcher knew about him for 2 years (at least). You only give someone a long leash like that if there is something else you are after (i.e. his paymaster). Also, not once did I see the slightest scrap of counter-surveillance or counter-intelligence. The dude's life was an open book.

Not that any of this matters. Chances of getting blown up outside of London are, as near as makes any difference, zero. Chances of getting blown up in London are, as near as makes any difference, zero.

Nothing to see here. Move along. NOW!

Ballmer 'cos he's more dangerous in his office than Terrorist007 ever was.

2. Paul
    Stop

Dear Uk Govt's

Dear UK Gov't,

I am a citizen, as were my ancestors. I am not afraid of terrorists, I am more afraid of dying in a car accident or violent crime which, statistically, are far more likely. I am also concerned about rising crime levels, and would therefore ask that you cease wasting time and money on pointless anti-terrorist actitivities and ID cards and instead ensure the police are adequately resourced to do their job.

Oh yes, and also stop meddling with the law producing unenforceable/unenforced laws that make people contemptuous of the law and the police.

I also insist that you stop pretending to protect my way of live and protect me from terrorists whilst all the while destroying the freedoms which are part of my way of life. Stop pretending that I and my fellow citizens are all scared!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In a puff of smoke

Didn't Jacqui Smith admit to smoking cannabis a while back?

Do you reckon she might have been at it again?

4. Rogan Paneer
    Coat

Which galaxy is she in?

Sounds like she's had one too many Pan-Galactic Gargleblasters ... Or her speechwriters/minders have.

5. David Keegel

More than two ways this could go

"So, we've basically got two ways this could go.

One, the Brown cabinet are just grandstanding...

Or, two, the government actually plans to build a Chinese-style Great Firewall of Blighty ..."

What about:

Three, expand the remit of IWF.org.uk to also cover illegal content decribing how to make an explosive bomb (or some other specific type of content which is illegal), and then have a process something like this:

(A) someone makes a complaint about a specific site breaching one of the areas in IWF's remit

(B) IWF investigates the site to confirm it does appear to violate that area (otherwise, no further action is taken)

(C) IWF adds the site to its stop-list which is published to participating ISPs

(D) When participating ISPs get the new stop-list, they block access to those URLs.

It does not mean that all bomb-making sites will be blocked, but it would give a process by which bomb-making sites can be identified (by people making a complaint) and after being verified those URLs can be blocked. In short, the government would be doing something to address the issue, but far short of completely blocking all bomb-making sites/content on the entire Internet.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Another "global village idiot"?

Please tell me David Keegel is not promoting another Australian Internet Censorship model .. how many URLs are on that "stop-list" now David?

http://www.efa.org.au/Publish/bsa_analysis2002.html

The question is; How much public money can be justified marketing an "impression" of effectiveness?

7. Joseph Helenihi
    Boffin

GUFHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

.....whew, that was a good one. What a clueless thought the Home Sec has about the internet. I blame the handlers. Reminds me of a quote,

Couldn't get a clue if they were a clue, on planet clue, drenched in clue pheromones surrounded by thousands of clues during clue mating season.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Interweb on DVD (set)

The government will make the Interweb available on DVD.

All your favourite (approved) sites, hours of surfing pleasure - ok not THAT kind of pleasure!! Clean, pure and safe for the kiddies and our religious friends.

Just send in 18,000 quid + 5 boxtops.

9. Kurt Faasse
    Jobs Horns

OK, one more time, children. . .

The Internet sees censorship as damage and routes around it.

Repeat.

The Internet sees censorship as damage and routes around it.

The internet is designed to survive a global nuclear war and continue functioning in the service of the people.

If the government wants to go all SkyNet and nuke the world to save the world, none of us can do anything about that. Ever again. Otherwise, I would not even waste space printing articles like this or time reading them.

If worse comes to worse, we can let them devolve back to the stone age and we can keep on using shortwave packet bursts to communicate.

Who is John Galt?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

meh

it has nothing to do with controlling or monitoring terrorists and everything to do with monitoring and controlling normal citizens.

Why?

Becouse terrorists and any other person out with a mission shall get around any measures with little difficulty. The government and law enforcment have to know this.

They probably just don't want some normal citizen getting fed up and blowing up the house of commons.

That would be a frightful shame if it were to happen.

11. Mr Larrington
    Flame

Kill Them!

IIRC 'twas that well-known defender of freedom Vladimir Ilich Lenin who said "The purpose of terrorism is to terrorise". And a dictionary I consulted earlier defines "to terrorise" as "to fill with terror or anxiety; scare". And since the only outcome of this latest spewing of bollocks from the worthless snivellers at the Westminster Gasworks is to scare a few more people, why isn't the Smith woman already locked up in Holloway, married to the person with the most cigarettes?

Grrrr! I really am quite worked up about this.

12. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Enemies of the state: don't rely on Tor. And neither do Friends of States

"We had the IRA doing serious damage for 35 years, well several hundred really. "

And whenever they started targetting big money/financial centres rather than flesh and blood, an accomodation was miraculously found and now the Chuckle Brothers [Ian and Martin] are no longer just so true to their earlier core beliefs/expressed and recorded views, but who can blame them whenever they have the cushion of wealth to lie on. Quite whether they are Fit for the Purpose of Leadership which First Minister and Deputy First Minister would seem to imply is something which only their thoughts and/or actions will demonstrate. And we all look forward to them succeeding admirably.

"Wow. I did not know that this was possible. But is this some kind of far fetched scenario that would be used under extreme circumstances......like for terrorists or something? It seems awfully involved and complicated a technique to employ just for some minor legal violoation, like downling music. I mean there are all kinds of internet scams that no one seems to be able to track or resolve." .... Caspian #22 .... http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=193948

Scams and Internet plays which are purely for financial [ill-gotten] gain may not be of any interest as such gains will all probably be fed back into the system anyway, albeit from another "donor"..... so the System itself does not lose anything, although one would be quite entitled to wonder at the Morality and Ethics of such a Control System.

However, should some activity threaten or be capable of threatening and bringing down the Capitalist System, by whatever means be they Real or Virtual, then one might see some action/panic. And should such a vulnerability exist because of the way the System is Built and/or Administered, then one would quite reasonably expect them to Change the System in Order to remove the Zero day Vulnerability.

Shooting the Messenger will not cure the System and it would be a fundament and catastrophic error of judgement to Imagine that it would and that the System can survive without immediate Change, for some would Use the Vulnerability/Opportunity to crash it just because they can...... and that Opportunity must/should be removed from all available options at whatever the cost, surely?

13. el_zorro
    Stop

a spectacular success

the best hope is that they outsource the project to large global corporate offshoring company (tm) and it succeeds as spectacularly well as all those other ill conceived billion pound government IT projects...

how much tax payers money are the home office paying to receive this facist hot air?

the know how to make a bomb isn't the problem, deciding to use one in an act of aggression is.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Bah

The government has no plans on this, go back to sleep. Its just political posturing for the clueless classes. If you want to get all worked up then lets off to the lower house with molotovs and baseball bates .... who's with with ....

15. David
    Joke

@ AC

"The government will make the Interweb available on DVD."

There is a slight flaw in your plan :)

16. Shakje

@Eddie Jones

Or he could be just making a satirical point about the circular society of fear we live in:

Isolated terrorist event happens, government uses it to instill further fear and push through rights-destroying measures. Terrorism levels return to normal (since it's isolated), and government uses it as proof that they were right, and the loss of freedom saved the world, and can push through further measures, because the majority of people, while claiming that they don't, DO believe politicians when they've got something to fear, whether that's immigrants taking their jobs and houses, or whether its the brown person next door building a dirty bomb and killing your goldfish.

17. Vulpes Vulpes

I don't meant St Francis

Who was it I remember saying something else like this....

"Where there is discord, let us bring harmony, where there is doubt, let us bring faith, where there is despair, let us bring hope, where there is illegal material on the net, I want it removed."

Jacqui, Jacqui, Jacqui!

OUT, OUT, OUT!

18. michael

not a hope in hell

they can not block child p0rn or spam how are they going to block bomb making instructions

19. Tom Cully

Terrorism

terrorism (noun)

1:The deliberate commission of an act of violence to create an emotional response from the victim in the furtherance of a political or social agenda.

2:Violence against civilians to achieve military or political objectives.

...wait for it...

3: A psychological strategy of war for gaining political or religious ends by deliberately creating a climate of fear among the population of a state.

"The purpose of terrorism," Vladimir Lenin once said, "is to terrorize."

Maybe the the UK gov should ban access to all *.gov.uk domains.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm

A fatal flaw - if the content isn't linked how can it be found - let alone removed. More substance less hype - that's what we need - this is quite frankly complete tosh from a minister with a lack of understanding of the problem let alone what needs to be done come anywhere near finding a solution......what I really what to know is what paris thinks we should do!

21. Bill Smith
    Pirate

twats

For the love of (insert name of favorite invisible friend here), who gives a toss what the useless gits say. They dont understand computers and the internet, they never have and they never will. Stop taking them seriously it only encourages them.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

lol

http://www.waronterrortheboardgame.com/

I think that this is relevent to our interests

23. Random Guy

Its been happening for a long time...

The mainstream media is already "filtered" anyway.... how many people have heard about this story?

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/01/389332.html - is that not newsworthy?

How can the BBC report on events before they have happened? Scripted news anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7SwOT29gbc

Your rights are slowly being taken away from you on a daily basis.... whats next? banning blogs, banning comments on news sites, government censored personal opinions... the list goes on... and all of this in the name of "The war on Terror"

Regarding "filtering the internet" - all this government needs to do is pass a law to shut down all ISP's due to "the war on terror", then comes HM ISP... they only need a couple of fabricated events to happen in order to (falsely) justify the reason for doing it...

24. Dave
    Thumb Down

I give up

while t'Internet is still available I am researching the best emigration options

25. Brian
    Joke

haha

@steven kraft

I was wondering how far I'd have to scroll before someone said that. It was my first thought upon reading the article!

26. James Anderson
    Paris Hilton

Pa Broon takes inspiration from Hu Jintao.

I wonder if our glorious leader will include the "Great Firewall of Chine" on his current state visit.

Pa Broon must be deeply impressed with the level of control his chinise counterpart has over the media, not to mention the economic savings to be made by dumping this democracy nonsense.

So can we look forwared to the "Gordons Firewall" sometime soon.

Help ma Bob!

Paris cause she would obviously make a better PM!

27. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Tomorrow....

for an encore, tomorrow the Home Secretary will modify the telephone network to prevent anyone from discussing any terrorist activities.

For reference, please be aware that as fertiliser, hair-bleach, and of course clothes washing powder can all be used as the basis for explosives, all farmers, hair-dressers landerettes and petrol stations will cease operation from the end of the week.

28. Ted Treen
    Flame

Serious question

How in God's name did such a bunch of twats manage to get themselves elected three times in a row? No, I never voted for them: I was a theoretical Labour supporter between the ages of 13 and 15, but then my idealism was dented somewhat by increasing maturity and an awareness of reality.

I'm with "Anonymous", and, being a 1950 model, I suspect I'm a similar vintage.

Orwell wrote a superb salutary warning.

NuLab adopted it as an Instruction Book.

29. LittleTyke

Why not use a bulletin board?

I can remember using BBS's in the days before the internet. Our company ran a Wildcat! BBS to take calls from support engneers. So what's to stop determined terrorists from firing up the old modem and ZMODEM? I wonder whether Five Bellies even knows what a modem actually is?

30. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Fear

"By Chris W

Posted Thursday 17th January 2008 15:33 GMT

I think you're all being really unfair. These laws must be working both in the UK and the USA. There hasn't been a terrorist attack in the USA since 9/11"

The reason for that is quite simple... Because the terrorist behind 9/11 are now dead, they killed themselves on those planes. Get this image of a multi-headed hydra super terrorist organisation out of your head it doesn't exist. Just as the old "Reds under the bed" conspiracy didn't exist during the cold war.

There was always isolated terrorist attacks in the past, the Communist evil master plan for world domination was blamed for them all back then, today its global organisation nobody can prove actually exists that is referred to mythically as "Al Qaeda" headed by a boogeyman who just releases a poor quality video every other year to get people's panties in a twist.

Its all about using fear to control and gain more power.

31. brimful
    Paris Hilton

Legislation doesn't prevent T's

If T's want to blow sh*t up then they'll blow sh*t up and no amount of legislation can prevent that eg: id cards. How the hell is a piece of plastic supposed to prevent T's from blowing shit up? Is it going to self distruct should it detect some violent impulses hence turning a very innocent but hot headed person into a bomb and thus doing the same damadge that the card was supposed to prevent? Is it going to help identify the T? Well we know who the T is, he's the one who has been scattered all over the road. Is it going to tell MI5/6/7/8 that a T is carrying a bomb and is about to detonate it? I hope I can invent a piece of plastic that can tell the future.

32. John

keep the info out there

i) if it's on the internet it can be monitored

ii) might as well ban removable storage. I think nearly every schoolboy in the country had a copy of the anarchist's cookbook on floppy.

33. Cameron Colley
    Flame

RE: Serious question

The people who voted for this government are the same morons who buy "Oops Magazine" and watch "Big Celebrities Have Brothers" -- they probably try to eat only 6g of salt a day and think 4*4 drivers are worse than rapists too, despite the fact they probably munch on McMeatcopy for most meals and swig alcopops while feeding their state-supported kids.

In short -- this shithole is now run for morons, by morons, with lies and marketing being the new ideals and policies.

Sadly, the days of true political leaders like Thatcher, Kinnock and Scargill has ended due to a cancer of uneducated, wilfully ignorant scum multiplying far faster than the rest of the population.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A worrying development

I was concerned when I read this, as it seems as though the Government is finally about to step across a very important threshold if it chooses to do this. Setting aside the technical arguments as to whether this kind of initiative is actually possible, we need to be asking ourselves whether it is healthy for a democratic society to allow the Government to be allowed to claim the authority to filter what people can read, post and consume on the Internet.

Obviously I’m taking a libertarian stance, but the arguments put forward by Jackie Smith earlier in the week were either naive or disingenuous. On one hand she proposes engaging with Islamic groups and attempting to challenge the ideology of terrorist groups, whilst on the other hand setting laws in place to persecute people expressing those ideologies in public and “banning them from the Internet”. If history repeatedly tells us anything it is that authority attempts to ban ideology (no matter how unpalatable they may be to most people) will always fail. Indeed if anything idealists such as these view the Government’s attempts to quash them as justification that that they are right (and that the Government is the enemy) and as such it energises them.

But what really concerns me is that it appears as though Jackie Smith and the Government are finally preparing to park their tanks on the internet’s lawn. The mechanisms which Smith would like to see introduced into the infrastructure of our ISPs would enable Government monitoring and particularly control of internet content for the very first time. As a libertarian that concerns me, as (once again) we see extreme and minority case justifications used to introduce new laws and mechanisms which affect the rest of us.

In her interviews Smith made it clear that she was determined to stamp out Terrorism, Paedophilia and extreme Islamic views from the Internet and who can argue with that? But she also hinted that the Government was looking to bring the illicit use of the internet for other “crimes” under control as well. As always the Government strategy is to implement a policy using a justification from an extreme, but subsequently use that policy as a Trojan for other, opaque and less popular changes and applications.

When one connects these announcements with the legislative framework created to prosecute terrorism the dangers of these proposals to freedom of expression, consumption and communication debate online become very worrying indeed. The Government has already laws which define terms such as “terrorist”, “extremist”, “promoting” and even “activity” in such ambiguous terms that they could conceivably be applied to cover almost anything. Already we have seen laws intended to prosecute “terrorists” used widely against Walter Wolfgang, anti-war, arms trade and airport protestors. Are we now to allow the Government to patrol and prosecute with the same latitude based on what they can trawl in cyberspace? One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter – are we prepared to retain that right to determine which is which or should we trust the Government to do all of our thinking for us and make these important distinctions for us?

With the mainstream media controlled by conglomerates and our democratic political processes strangled the internet is now almost the only mechanism left where people can express their views easily and communicate with the like-minded. Some of those views are absolutely unpalatable, but the counterstrike should be to engage these arguments in their native domain, online, rather than seek to start controlling the one area of free speech we have left. Nothing would suit the ruling classes them more… are we prepared to hand it over to them to control?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next Stupid Idea

Look this has been proposed by the same whackjobs who think popping 2 cd's in the post is a secure data transfer method.

36. lee harvey osmond
    Paris Hilton

Faux Russian lesbian popstrels are terrorists?

My mistake -- I seem to have confused TATP with tATu. And I don't know about you, but U and P are very close together on my keyboard. Wouldn't it be just awful if I made a typo while searching for warez?

Of course, there are allegations that Paris Hilton has starred in a home-made lesbian sex tape.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

It's a Government Flame

Their only trying to hide their own illegal activities eg I know they gave me £???? and I should have told you but it's an honest mistake.

Paris Hilton angle, the UK Govt make Paris look in intelligent

38. Eileen Bach
    Coat

no need to censor the web

If them thugs don't like what you're reading they should just come round and give you a pasting like in Nazi Germany.It's coming back though.. Me? I get forced to resign from neighbourhood watch (which I started) for reporting anti-social behaviour, not by my members but by our local police. Our members are too intimidated to do much about it. I wouldn't mind so much getting a pasting from HMG agents if only we had public legal aid to defend ourselves later. If the sort of folk who read bombmaking where allowed to live in peace then they wouldn't advocate working on wars. That includes the workers in defense industries

If you have to give up liberty to defend freedom you don't deserve either.

39. Andraž Levstik

@enemies of the state: don't rely on Tor.

Nothing new there... Such an attack is documented on the tor site.

40. b166er

NetNanny

I propose tags similar to NetNanny/CyberSitter that terrorists can embed on their sites.

AdverseOpinionometer (Please click here to visit the Gov.UK website to have your soul cleansed) anyone?

41. Tawakalna
    Paris Hilton

don't blame me...

..'cos I didn't vote Labour!

I wonder how many people who post on and read here did? If you voted for Blur/Broon in '97 then, although you were admittedly lied to at the time, it's your fault. Think Iraq was a good idea at the time, and blindly supported *our boys* because that Saddam was a bad man who could nuke us in 45 mins? Yep, your fault again. Voted Labour again since '97? Well if you did then you must need a feckin' lobotomy, because by 2006 they'd proven that they couldn't run a p*ss-up in a brewery and that they were shameless liars.

As long as people keep voting this shambolic shower back into office, you'll get exactly what you deserve - except that it gets inflicted on people like me who saw through it all decades ago. Six more years and then I'm off, no more Little Blighty on the Down for me. A little pensione in the Tuscan foothills awaits.

meanwhile, the lovely and talented Miss Hilton gets my vote...

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't turn off the lights - it'll make you go blind

Of many similar comments, Cameron Colley's best sums up the situation that I've watched developing from afar over 30 years of expatriate existence.

I don't know who originally may be to blame for the rising tide of ignorance and sheer bloody haplessness (and fuckin prahd of it, mate), but it's there and it's real and it's the arena created and engineered by cynical weasels like Jacqui Smith and her predecessors, to impose ever more fear and control on a population, whose potential and spirit Ms Smith and those whose crony she is, have betrayed.

This Internet censorship crap is just another absurd little squib thrown down to distract your attention away from the real hijackings of your freedoms - wait till the health and safety horror removes every service or business with any initiative, and leaves you with only the government to turn to to ask what you or your children or grandchildren are allowed to do. That's something that's already in place and you're all bitching about an unworkable proposal like Jacqui's?

Shame on you, innit?

43. Joseph Helenihi

@LittleTyke

And it was wiser to use ZMODEM.If the call dropped file transfer continued where it left off after redialing and starting the download again.

....NO CARRIER

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Fear by Anonymous Coward

Go back and reread Chris' post, but this time, switch on your sarcasm detector.

45. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

Hmm

Hmm , a bigger and more wowser then I thought !

In one way one would be insulting all house bricks if you were comparing them to his single one thought a time brain cell attempting to enforce absolute control of the intertubes on the multi billion users for it would be like putting one finger over a small hole in a dam wall with another ten million same size leaks spraying in every other direction !

Now if the authoritarian regime in mainland China cannot hold the line even at the point of gun at the users head , then how can this adherent and disciple of the "Peter Principle" in a dying regime do in the same manner !

In Oz the mighty Little Johnny the deputy wowser of the South Pacific fame and ex PM of the always the me too behind your ass flavour of the month and his great waste of money intertubes net garbage filter could be disabled with two keystrokes by any ten year old child using just two fingers , how indeed would this wannabe also ran on the nose pretend wowser do likewise ?

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh the irony

Isn't this the minister who admits in today's press that she doesn't feel safe in London after dark?

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye." (Matthew 7:1-5)

47. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Don't worry about the Home Secretary...

... she's hardly going to be able to take over the Internet when just about every police officer in England & Wales has a picture of her on their dartboards...

... on Wednesday, well over 15,000 police officers from all over the country are converging on London to march in protest against her unilateral decision to abolish the Police Negotiating Board and replace it with a tame "pay review body" (there won't be any negotiation about pay and conditions because the new body won't include anyone to argue the staff side case). She can do this because no-one ever foresaw a Home Secretary deciding to completely ignore an arbitration by the Police Arbitration Tribunal (in fact, leaked documents show that the Government had decided this even before the arbitration took place).

So the idea that she will be the Iron Lady leading a crackdown on all you terrorists... sorry, Internet users (same fing, innit?) is a bit of a joke.

I hope that she's got a speed camera detector...

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and this would stop how many terror plots?

thats right.... none.... hmmmm.. even if this *could* work which it can't... it would achieve.... nothing.... at...all..

49. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

didnt vote ,shame on you...

"As long as people keep voting this shambolic shower back into office, you'll get exactly what you deserve - except that it gets inflicted on people like me who saw through it all decades ago"

it seems everyone always forgets the obvious, its not the people that voted for this lot, its the people that didnt vote at all...

if only you people that didnt vote, ohh cant be bothered, it never changes,theres no point etc were to actually get off your backsides and vote for any outsider, again i say,any outsider it doesnt really matter.

as long as its the same one across the board then we might see a change,then these power current hungry types that have turned the uk into the banking and services nation, instead of innovation and tech nation will continue to prosper and manage the UK PLC for their own needs and wants.

next local and national voting round, get off YOUR backside and take 10 minutes to vote at the local school on your way to the shops/work and really make them pay by being made redundant , take away the power mongers power and we all win in the end.

get off your butts and vote, dont just sit there apathetic makeing excuses up and saying it wasnt me bla,bla.

if you didnt vote em out, it was as much your fault as those that did vote em in.

50. auser

tor remarks...

""Because the ISP can see *who* your computer is talking to, and intelligence agencies have the internet tapped. They can see you visit website x, talking through tor node 3, talking through tor node 2, talking through tor node 1, talking to your computer. They can see who is talking to whom, and depending on your computer sending requests that get relaying through the network, they can follow the string right back to you because they are capable of observing the whole internet.""

This is only true if only one person is using the tor network at a time, or if tor uses a separate connection for every user between it's relay points. If the whole internet is monitored (and in some western countries the whole country is monitored), then the system can map who uses tor and what requests come out from tor. But if the network is working properly, they can't connect the requests to the users, so they can't know who did what from all the users connected at the time of the requests. And I didn't even mention hiding traffic amongst normal requests or using privately owned nodes in countries without monitoring.

Censoring a network that is designed for safe communication and to resist censoring doesn't sound like a smart idea. The government would get better results if they put a police officer behind every user's back or banned the use of technology altogether.

This topic is closed for new posts.