back to article Japanese whalers lash protesters to mast

Two campaigners from anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd are "in custody" aboard Japanese whaling vessel the Yushin Maru 2 after boarding the ship in the Antarctic, the BBC reports. The pair were allegedly assaulted and tied to a radar mast during the action, Sea Shepherd claims. The pair - Australian Benjamin Potts and Briton …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Pirate

Hmmm...

From what I have seen of the actions of the Sea Shepard Conservation Society, it is most likely that the Sea Shepard came alongside the Yushin Maru 2, from there, members of the crew threw the bottles of 'rancid butter' over at the decks, possibly injuring a couple of members of the japanese crew in the process. As for how they got onboard, that is quite simple, if the decks were cleared because of the hurling of large bottles of 'rancid butter', it would be very easy to run an inflatable dingy up the slipway (have you ever looked at the rear of a whaling factory ship?). The usual method employed to prevent this is the use of high pressure hoses to wash the invaders off. If the deck was littered with 'rancid butter' could this have been done?

ian
Gates Horns

F**kwits galore

I've wondered how W was elected (twice, no less!). After reading these posts I understand why the USA qualifies for the Darwin award.

Paris Hilton

Blow Hards

Amazing how some subjects bring out the worst people. No wonder they have things like the Darwin Awards. Now is there any way we can get some of these blow hards to nominate themselves and go extinct, preferably before the whales do?

A note to Gavin and Marko - thank you for providing the only rational, sensible posts here - not that it will do any good. These people have long since stuffed wax in their ears. Even Paris has more common sense, wonder of wonders.

Thumb Up

Well yes

The crew of the Sea Sheperd are environmental thugs but you can't really disagree with the concept of someone who posesses an ex military water cannon and fires army surplus custard at whalers from it.

Pirate

I say we

Give those scurvy dogs a broadside with our guns captain, That'll teach em for strapping our men to the mast.

Holy cows of the sea again.

Minke whales arent endangered. There are over a million in existance and they reproduce at a healhy rate. What the Japanese are taking is a drop in the bucket.

There are endangered species out there, but they are mostly endangered by international shipping and pollution and past whaling by nations other than Japan, Norway and Iceland, which are now paying the price for still having stocks of whales.

Anonymous Coward

Peaceful Greenpeace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1qFSBmPEWo

Save the Tuna!

Fuck the whales!

Sure it's wrong to over hunt a species to the point of extinction, but the anti-whaling lot cannot get away from using overly emotive terms to describe the process or pleading for its uniqueness or beauty. If you can't make a reasoned and unemotional argument for why I should support your cause, I'm going to be sceptical.

Ever watched a guy in a Save the Whale t-shirt tucking into a tuna sandwich? Apparently it's only OK to eat the ugly animals.

Ros

@ User

Fin whales are endangered, and the Japanese hunt them too.

I'm surprised at the number of people who are confusing Greenpeace with the Sea Sheperd Conservation Society. These groups have entirely different approaches. Greenpeace plan to use peaceful methods, such as spraying water to obscure the whaler's field of vision. They're not planning to board or ram the whalers.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/oceans/esperanza-drives-whalers-out-of-the-southern-ocean-sanctuary

Check out the graph of unsold whale meat on that page.

Fin whales arent endangered either.

Fin whales are fewer in number and that is why the Japanese are only taking 50 per year. Another drop in the bucket.

There are lots of endangered species in the world, some of them whales, but they are not endangered by whaling. International shipping and pollution are much more likely.

If you want to save whales, stop tuna hunting (smart whales like Dolphins) and inuit hunting in the states (hunt endangered species).

Stop

"Why shouldn't they eat whales?"

To all those defending the Japanese's "right" to eat whales (and especially, to those claiming that this is a race issue) I say, please consider this in terms of more than "Japanese vs Non-Japanese humans".

Whales are not the same as "pigs, sheep, cows, goats, ducks, pheasents, and well lots of other animals". Whales take immensely longer to reproduce than any of the above. Their global numbers are also lower (well, maybe not lower than pheasants, I'd have to check that...) and they do not reproduce well in captivity so "proper farming" is not really feasible.

And to those who who, like Tony Barnes, say "If we do get to the real point of extinction, and someone who controls the waters deems it illegal, then yes, they need to stop" - two points. First, no-one controls International Waters. Are you saying that all's fair on the high seas? If so, can I start dumping nuclear waste there tomorrow? After all, no-one controls the waters to tell me otherwise... And second - fin whales are endangered already, and the Japs are hunting them now.

I do, however, agree those who accuse Greanpeace et al. of using blatantly emotive language to get their point across - but have you seen teh Japanese media's take on the situation? Two can play the play-on-their-emotions-not-their-reason game.

And I agree Sea Shepheard are a bunch of nuts who do their cause more harm than good, and that the boarders got exactly what they deserved - and they could well have got a lot worse. I can see the headlines - "a terrible accident while attempting to illegally board another vessel caused the tragic loss of two lives today"...

Anonymous Coward

@Steve

First you say "Fuck the whales" then you contradict yourself with the argument "Sure it's wrong to over hunt a species to the point of extinction".

You then suggest that no-one is making "a reasoned and unemotional argument" so you are "going to be sceptical"

You've made the argument yourself, stating that it's wrong to over hunt a species to the point of extinction, so now you can stop being sceptical and support the anti-whaling cause.

Coat

Never mind tying them to the mast...

They're going to be really upset on Friday when they find out it's their turn in the barrel ;-)

Joke

BBC news

Anybody else see Auntie's 10PM news report on this last night? Sent by one "Jonah Fisher". Yeees, and I'm sure he has a friend called Bigus Dickus and his wife is called Incontinentia Buttocks.

Did also show how they got aboard. There isn't much freeboard on the whalers, so its only a short jump from a boat onto the deck.

Gates Halo

Sea Shepard

Sea Shepard should have just done the usual and rammed them, with all the monies they are posted I thought they would have just bought a reinforced spiked plow and sank the bastardos!

Jim

Idiot Marko

So, you are all for eating farm raised tigers, eh?

Flame

I, for one...

...think its about time we all took a more proactive stand to protect this planet and its endangered species - I am all for Sea Shepherd's actions.

No-one has EVER been killed or seriously injured by this society. Ships have been... tampered with... (read as sunk) when at harbour, however, there have been no verifiable serious injuries. Sea Shepherd has a reputation for being tough, yes, and this is in the main deserved, however this reputation also allows its detractors to create apparently believable stories - including attempted murder on one occasion. Luckily, that incident was being recorded and the videotape evidence subsequently proved that the Japanese had made up the story.

The Japanese are blatently disregarding international law in hunting whales - their exemption on scientific research grounds is agreed by all to be purely a smokescreen with no scientific accredition whatsoever. If they want to hunt whales, then fine - but it must be after a change in international law - the law that was created to prevent the extinction of a species.

Lets hope Sea Shepherd can afford a couple of exocets - even a rumour of the Steve Irwin's presence would be enough of a deterent then!

Jim
Alien

Gavin, Whales != a species

Gavin,

Since when did all whales become one species? Minke whales endangered? Since when? There are millions of minke whales alive in the world today. What you are saying is like, since Bald Eagles are endangered, let's ban all bird hunting or ban all bird eating. Goes to show just how ignorant the green-priates and enviro-nazis are.

Not sure why you even bring up the COD issue, unless you are advocating the hunting of Harp Seal. Sure, WWF (a private organization) puts COD on its endangered list; let's not forget, WWF was founded as a private slush fund for racists to funnel money to support apartheid.

You are exactly right, it's all about money. The green-pirates and enviro-nazis are doing it for fund raising. It's interesting to track the flow of money and hence the real purpose of those anti-humanity organizations after the useful idiots (the clueless foot soldiers) are paid.

Bloomin' idiots

Boarding someone's ship without permission means they deserve all they get...

Jim

re: I, for one

You, for one, are a wannabe terrorist.

Since you are so up on your international law, do you happen to know that sinking another country's ship through sabotage is act of war? There is no international law banning all whale hunting. Some species are endangered, but minke whale certainly is not. There are millions of minke whales in the world. Sure, Bald Eagles are endandgered, but shall we ban all bird hunting and all bird eating, including chickens?

As for exocets reference, well, that just goes to show your wannabe terrorist couch-pirate credentials.

Equal Opportunities

Given that whales are highly intelligent creatures, perhaps the solution is to provide them with some missile launchers and training on how to use them (OK, a resupply depot to assist with reloading as well), plus how to identify whaling boats. Then it would be a fair fight with the 'researchers'.

Pirate

Yay! Someone called me a name! It's working...

Jim did sed:

> So, you are all for eating farm raised tigers, eh?

If someone was prepared to go through the arseache of breeding tigers for human consumption, they'd, frankly, deserve every penny of the $200 per kilo wholesale price they'd be able to charge for tiger steak... then they'd just have to find the other $200 they'd need to break even.

Once more, for the cheap seats... the objections to whaling as opposed to farming animals like cattle and poultry for food are:

1. Whales are wild creatures; cattle and poultry are bred in captivity.

2. Whales are scarce and under population pressure; cattle and poultry are abundant and thriving.

3. Whales are finicky breeders (goes with being top of the food chain); cattle and poultry reproduce at a high rate (a consequence of being chomped by predators all the time).

4. Whales take many years to mature; cattle and poultry mature in a matter of weeks or months.

5. Whales are killed by cruel, slow methods; cattle and poultry are kiled quickly.

Your farming-tigers example would eliminate objections 1 and 5; if humans raise an animal in captivity, feed it and keep it healthy, it can plausibly be argued that it's within humans' right to do with the animal as they please, including eating it, and if an animal is to be eaten, it would follow from it being captive that it can be killed with minimal distress.

Now you just have to figure out what to do about tigers' finicky reproductive habits and the sweet time they take growing to a size where they can make any kind of decent eating, or breed, so they can make more steak-tigers.

Keeping the pirate theme going...

bunk

1. Whales are wild like many other animals. This is a pro whaling reason. No inhuman treatment of animals involved.

2. Some types of whales are scarce. None of the species being whaled today are scarce or endangered from whaling. Shipping and pollution is.

3. Whales are not finicky breeders. They reproduce at a slow but steady rate. Case in point Humpback has come back faster than anyone thought possible.

4. Whales raise more than one calf at a time.

5. Whales are killed rather fast. More than 80% of minke are killed almost instantly. Sure there can be a bad shot once in a while, but take it from me, sheep and cattle dont all die instantly either.

Your arguments are bunk.

Pirate

I feel a dance coming on...

@ User...

1. WTF are those three sentences, taken together, supposed to mean?

The distinction I make between wild and farm-raised creatures, as outlined in my previous post is

"...if humans raise an animal in captivity, feed it and keep it healthy, it can plausibly be argued that it's within humans' right to do with the animal as they please, including eating it..."

That doesn't happen with a wild creature; the only exertion humans put themselves through there is when they make the trip out to shoot it, spear it, scoop it up in a net or bonk it over the head with a bat, then drag the carcass back with them... and, aforementioned bat notwithstanding, that's not cricket. We have the option of growing our own food without inconveniencing to the rest of the Earth's biosphere beyond usurpation of resources by our fields, farms and fish ponds.

Unlike other living creatures, humans take much more from the Earth than they give back; a good portion of us don't even rot and feed the worms when we die... now, you can argue that our big brains and opposable thumbs give us the right to do as we please and that cows would eat us if they had the chance, but if you're going to do that, explain to me why, at 6'4", 105kg and considerable knowledge of martial arts, I shouldn't just assert myself, kick the shit out of random strangers on the street who happen to be scrawnier than me, and live off the cash I find in their wallets?

Dead Vulture

If you really want to take action....

Just stop buying Japanese products.....TV's, computers, cars etc

They will soon stop the whalers then.

Personally I don't care about the whales, I have no time for people who worry more about animals, than for example, homeless humans.

Ros

@User

Fin whale status:

http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/2478/all

"Balaenoptera physalus – Endangered"

And the other factors that make things harder for this species to recover are no justification for killing 50 more of them every year.

Jim

Marko

Glad to hear that you are all for eating farm raised tigers . . . yes, there are farms that raise tigers. . . currently they are raised for tourism.

None of the contentions about whales being rare, hard to breed or slow to kill apply to Minke whales. Sure, bald eagles are endangered and probably should be targetted for hunting, but that doesn't justify blind bird worshippers getting in the way of sparrow shooting.

BTW, the term "idiot" was a direct quote from your earlier post.

Jim

Marko

"We have the option of growing our own food without inconveniencing to the rest of the Earth's biosphere beyond usurpation of resources by our fields, farms and fish ponds."

And somehow you think the pollution caused by our fields, farms and fish ponds are less than taking minke whales and their food, the shrimps from the wild. Go take a look at the dead zone at the mouth of Mississippi.

"explain to me why, at 6'4", 105kg and considerable knowledge of martial arts, I shouldn't just assert myself, kick the shit out of random strangers on the street who happen to be scrawnier than me, and live off the cash I find in their wallets?"

'cuz I have a gun and know how to use it; you might find yourself dead with a hole in your head before your finish swaggering about your martial arts skills. The bare risk of the random stranger mark, or someone else passingby, might have the means to knock you off is enough to outweight the unpredictable gain of how much money is in the pocket of the intended victim.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018