back to article NHS frets over Brits' genitalia

UK health portal NHS Choices has got itself into a bit of a tiz over whether or not to show unexpurgated genitalia in a forthcoming update of its interactive Body Map - an issue apparently so sensitive it has decided to put the matter to a public vote. The blurb explains: NHS Choices will soon be updating its body map with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

It's those bloody "NHS managers" again!

Things seem to have been heading this way ever since the politicos realised they could save some money by handing control of the NHS from those highly educated medical types to a polit bureau of ignorant twats (if you'll forgive the irony). Still, looks like they'll soon have us all as ignorant as themselves, so we won't know the difference.

2. Stewart Haywood
    Go

To paraphrase the good book.........

If thy genitals offend thee, lop 'em off!

3. J

You mean...

"Just for fun they should include full footage of surgical procedures as well."

You mean surgical procedures to the "controversial" areas?

Because if you just mean general ones, then all you need to do is watch the Discovery Health Channel here in the US. Unbelievable the stuff they show...

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Is the 'hot rod' joke banned as well?

If not I'll be right on it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

if we don't show it ...

... we can't talk about it. NHS Choices is about giving the public as much information as possible so they can manage their healthcare. The bits that people know least about / are most worried about are the 'embarrassing' bit ... get those genitals on show and start talking about it

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a bigger fundemental question...

surely in this day of racial equality they should also be offering models from different races? or has the uk suddenly become 100% white overnight?

also whats wrong with a simple start page option to show either the natural or mutilated version?

and finally, as breast feeding is still viewed as a sick shocking display of public vulgarity on some parts of the country shouldn't the female model be subject to a double mastectomy in the name of decency?

7. Vi James

Let it all hang out - please!

As a brotherless child (I'm now in 60's) - and having looked at a simple dictionary) - I decided that a "foreskin" was the vine leaf thingy that I'd seen on pictures of classical statuary!

It was a long time before I learned better.

Vi

8. mX
    Go

STD no more!

Excellent! The NHS has found the solution to get rid of Sexually transmitted diseases... chopping it all off!!!

How about removing genitals as soon as baby males are born? Oh I shouldn't have said that, NHS might take this idea seriously...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

What's more worrying is...

...that the NHS is employing people that would even need to debate this and moreover some that think a anatomically inaccurate representation is the way to go. Clearly anyone offended by that never washes either because they might scare themselves when they look between their legs.

10. bruce hyman

genitalia...

gee, mine look EXACTLY like the picture on the right!

11. Martin Lyne

The Americans in question..

..would probably find the idea of a "National Health Service" far more insulting than the genitalia which we all have (at least) one of.

The UK Government could be spending those tax-pounds on waging war!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shaven slaphead ?

The bloke on the right looks as if he is in the early stages of willie disappearance brought on by not replying to certain Nigerian scam emails. And is pubic hair now anatomically incorrect ?

13. Peter Mellor

Wot no hair? Wot no balls?

The models depicted have no body hair, or even head hair, at all!

What is this supposed to mean?

Head hair (length, style, etc.) is a cultural matter.

Facial hair (beard, moustache, etc.) is cultural, but also genetic (e.g., native Americans and South American tribes do not grow facial hair). Chest hair and some other bits of hair vary between races.

I *think* we (common humanity) all have armpit hair and pubic hair (apart from young ladies currently living in London, who have neither, apart from, possibly, a "Brazilian landing strip").

If the NHS is so tortured about showing a realistic depiction of the human genitalia in what is supposed to be an anatomically correct diagram, why don't they just cover everyone's embarrassment with a merkin*?

This is utterly pathetic and contemptible. If they really want a good representative example of the English male genitalia, contact my manager.

(* Look it up on Google, you lazy sods! :-)

14. Pow79

Its the IT contractors that have the problem

This will have nothing to do with what the NHS thinks and a lot to do with whoever the contractors are (perhaps Americans?).

I have worked in several NHS organisations and if somebody mentioned blurring out 'offensive' bits of the human body they would be laughed out of the job. The NHS employs large numbers of people to deal with sexual health issues most of whom carry around a variety of life sized penis dummies (in a variety of skin colours) and litter the place with condoms like confetti at a wedding so I can't see anybody worrying about a few wobbly bits in a cartoon mockup of the body.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Henry Wertz

Why not both?

Why not have both? Have the "full monty" link and the "other" link both. So, if people are like in some classroom where they are supposed to be learning about heart & lungs, they won't get all distracted and be all like "woohoo, look at that wang!" whereas people who want the full version can still get it.

I live in the US, and am bothered by the prudishness of people here -- I'd say for certain the full version should be on there.. it's an anatomy site after all. So if it really is only one or the other, I'd say the full version.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.