back to article Met Police to pilot Tasers

The governing body of the Metropolitan Police yesterday gave approval for Tasers to be issued to non-firearms-trained police in a pilot scheme beginning next month. Similar trials are already underway with other UK police forces. "Members [of the Met Police Authority] raised legitimate concerns about broadening the use of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

'Pakistan last week. Britain very soon now.'

There's a difference?

2. Alan

Assault with a deadly weapon...

Police bosses and the relevant government departments should be charged with something like "incitement to use a deadly weapon".

Any policeman/woman who uses a taser on any person who is not actually trying to kill someone, should be charged with "assault with a deadly weapon".

If someone dies due to the use of a taser, the policeman/woman should be charged at the very least with "manslaughter", and their bosses charged also.

3. Tom Chiverton
    Thumb Down

Good timing

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/11/24/2324212.shtml: "UN says tasers are torture"

4. hello world
    Thumb Down

nothing to fear oh Stuart Elliott?

y Stuart Elliott

Posted

If you've got nothing to fear, don't run, and don't struggle, and you won't get tazered.

Simple.

-----

@ Stuart-

says WHo?

are you privy to the usage guidlines?

and why should i not fear erronious results of human actions with lethal consequences?

by your logic any and all powers possible should rest with police.

after all, who need courts and other messy stuff? just let the copper handle it like judge jury and executioner right there and then!

after all, if you aren't a bad guy, what could you possibly have to fear?

ummmm the fact that police are human not perfect little gods.

tasers are currently in the news for causing the 3rd death within 2 weeks in Canada! i think its highly inappropriate to be considering their use at this late juncture.

you are SOooo behind people...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Terror police shot man in coma - with Taser - in Leeds, UK

Terror police 'shot' man in coma

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/7096456.stm

6. peter ashworth
    Thumb Down

this is a very bad idea .........

and anyone who really befieves that the Taser should be introduced to this country should agree to be Tasered BEFORE his request is taken seriously

also believe that ANY policemen who carries the Taser should be Tasered AT LEAST once a week

that will make them aware of what a dangerous piece of offensive equipment they carry

while we are at it, why not also give them light hand-guns, you know, just ones that really bruise someone but cannot kill them????????

what idiot thought this one up?????

7. Charles Teton
    Thumb Down

Police have enough force already...

We don't need it, they have enough force already. Twice I've been roughed up by the Met Police unnecessarily and kept in over night with handcuffs on and resulting bruises and thumbs and fingers numb for a week. My Dad has also had the same treatment... Mostly for disagreeing with them... Looks like a know what my Christmas present will be... A Tazer... But its probably illegal to have one? PS Normal person, not thug...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.