back to article Facebook faces UK data probe

Facebook is facing investigation by UK data protection watchdogs after a complaint from a British user who tried, and failed, to delete his account. Facebook accounts can be "deactivated" but not actually deleted. Your profile remains in the Facebook servers but cannot be accessed by anyone else. The Information Commissioner …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@Peter Koy - Facebook - FBI??

"Is that proven?"

Yep, 100% verified!

"They only have my fake details..."

Makes no difference, if you are using the same keyboard entering fake and real data, even on different websites: Every keyboard writes letters with a unique 'signature', and thus FaceBook International/FBI can match fake and real details.

Wrapping more than. 4 inches/10 cm of the the cord of the keyboard in tinfoil blocks the unique signature of the keyboard.

If you are using a wireless keyboard (or mouse) only a tinfoil hat helps.

2. Daniel B.

Facebook

So it seems a good thing I didn't bite into it. I actually didn't even budge on creating a Facebook account, because I thought I already had one ... I was confused by the Facebox service. Mind you, all of those services are the same shite, only packed differently.

The first one I remember was hi5, which was kind of fun; then a lot of these thingies started sprouting overnight so badly it just wasn't fun anymore. I kept myself only using the live spaces (only because I use messenger) and hi5 ... just because its there. I was fortunate to get a referral on LiveJournal (an older, but less Web2.0-ish blog service) though I haven't used that one too much.

Bleh.

3. Richard Hicks

Reason for clearing profiles...

Perhaps the reason for asking users to clear profiles of all data, is because they have set up a script to check physical files vs database entries. Any orphaned files... delete. Certainly seems an easy way to 'circumvent' not having an account deletion procedure at launch, as someone suggests above.

4. Marc Jones
    Happy

I deleted my account!

I requested to have my account deleted and all information erased a few days ago. I got a reply asking if I was sure, telling me to remove whatever is in my profile and then letting them know. I got a confirmation email yesterday saying that all my information had now been removed from their servers! So I guess you can delete your account :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.