back to article 123-Reg takes weekend off

Pipex's hosting service 123-Reg suffered a weekend of downtime thanks to broken hardware. The Reg received emails from many of those hit. One said: "Nameservers have been down for 48+ hours this weekend, loosing [sic] me around £3k across my four more popular domain names. "No explanation on there [sic] website as to what …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Christopher Woods
    Thumb Up

Hmm, I suppose I could outsource my DNS hosting from 123-reg to another provider. Oh, wait -

I already do that. A few years ago I made the decision to outsource my DNS management to to Afraid.org's free services, and now I switch any new domain over as soon as I can after ordering it through 123-reg. You can do this from about 5/10 minutes after the domain name is configured on you 123-reg control panel, and you can preconfigure your domain on your afraid.org control panel in anticipation of the nameserver updates, and then there's pretty much no downtime.

I've got about 14 domains hosted on afraid.org, and they've had precisely one period of (partial) downtime in the past few years I've hosted with them. I like them so much, I subscribe to their premium services. On the contrary, I've had nothing but delayed DNS record updates, shit service, and crap tech support from 123-reg (they STILL wont' let me lock/unlock my .name domain, saying that that feature is 'coming soon' and requiring you to ring them up to ask them to unlock your domain, even though they advise you to unlock your domain to make modifications in the support pages!) Trust me, the only times I've rung them are to ask them to unlock my domain - so I could make the switch for my DNS hosting to afraid.org. Couldn't be happier since I made the change.

That's my little nugget of advice for today...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like