back to article Tumbleweeds outnumber punters, as iPhone's First Night flops

Journalists and PR minders outnumbered buyers on Friday night as interest in Apple's iPhone miserably failed to live up to the pre-launch hype in the UK. The iPhone went on sale at stores operated by retail titan Carphone Warehouse, exclusive operator O2, and Apple's own retail chain. The days preceding the launch had been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Will

Yes the N95 is technically superior

Just as a Mitsubishi Evo is faster than an Audi R8, however it doesn't make it a better car. This is what geeks often overlook, its not just what a product does but its how it does it. This is so reminiscent of the Mac PC debate its funny. How many of you iPhone knockers slagged off the iPod as overpriced and foretold its demise and failure? Was the Razr a success because of its superior feature set or its superior UI? Products succeed and fail for many reasons, not just because they have a superior feature set. This is where Apple's strengths have always lay, taking common tasks and features and doing them better, and making them easier to use.

I think if you consider that the iPod touch is £199 then the iPhone isn't bad value at £269. Sure you have an 18 month contract but then I'm sure a lot of people have 18 month contracts that are around the £35 a month mark, I know I was on a similar deal with Orange when I got my SPV M3100 and the networks are pushing them more and more to avoid churn.

Reports today seem to indicate that they sold 70,000 over the launch weekend, that's good going by anyone's standards. Unfortunately we don't really have any competitors figures available to contrast with the iPhone's sales, perhaps someone can point me in the direction of sales figures for the N95?

For what its worth, I think it would have been better if they had just sold an unlocked phone but time will tell if their strategy is the right one.

2. Danny
    Jobs Horns

@will

http://www.symbian-guru.com/welcome/2007/08/nokias-2q-numbe.html

1.5million in 3 months

And that's without hyping it up and making it out to be the greatest thing ever. No big billboard ads, nowhere near as much free media coverage, no TV ads, no huge launch parties. Plus the iphone figures are skewed as hundreds of people seem to have only bought them to flog straight away on ebay

3. Will

@Danny

Thanks for the link, are those worldwide numbers? If so then Apple's numbers hold up quite well. That link is also incorrect when it states that Apple intend to sell 1 million in a year, they did that in its first quarter, the target is 10 million.

I think Apple deserve a pat on the back, I really do. How many other companies do you know could enter the mobile phone game and stand toe to toe with Nokia with their first product? Nokia sold 1.5 million worldwide, Apple sold 1.2 million in the US alone. Entering a developed and mature market and selling as much as they have should be something that is admired.

I'm sure Apple's presence in the mobile market will be a good thing for everyone, it will certainly keep the likes of Nokia on their toes.

4. Ed chappell
    Stop

pricing

is £270 plus £35 per month for 18 months right? so who is going to pay £900 for a phone/PDA? hell i wouldn't pay that for a laptop !

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Will

Apple have done really well at matching ONE particular Nokia model nearly but not quite like for like....

What about 1.2Million vs 100.3Million?

Statistics show what you want them to eh?

You thought of a job in journalism, think you'd do pretty well.

6. Allan

Title

'This would have been an amazing piece of kit if they released it 3-4 years ago but now it is already very dated. Lets just do a very quick comparison of the N95 vs iphone'

I don't think you've quite grasped the point of the argument. Technology alone does not make a phone better than another phone, as much as you'd like to believe it. The majority of consumers don't give a toss if they can go bluetooth to a keyboard, that it has a A2DP, Carl Zeiss optics (which means nothing to be honest) or an open source browser. They want to have cool easy to use functions in a pretty package, and the iphone exceeds at this.

'Apart from the multi-touch screen what exactly is revolutionary about it?'

Ha, I think I'm actually embarrassed for you after saying that. Hmmmm lets just overlook the fact that it totally redefines the mobile experience shall we.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Re: @ Will

"You thought of a job in journalism, think you'd do pretty well."

It sounds like he already has a job, with Apple's Reality Distortion Dept.

8. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@Allan

'lets just overlook the fact that it totally redefines the mobile experience shall we'

How exactly is it a total redefiniton of how you use your mobile? Is it that many things you are currently able to do with one hand, now take two hands such as type an sms?

9. martin burns
    Dead Vulture

Never let the facts get in the way...

If this is a flop, O2 are presumably wishing they had a lot more of them. Fastest selling device they've had, they claim: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article2856908.ece

Still Andrew, you wouldn't like to start getting a reputation for accurate reporting now, would you?

Mind you, I'm still happy with a high quality phone (and let's not forget that the top 4 functions of a phone are voice, voice, SMS and voice), and a 60GB iPod. They both fit in my shirt pocket just fine.

10. Will

Anonymous Coward

I don't see your point. Nokia have multiple mobiles at different price points aimed at different users to a worldwide market and are have been in the market for over 10 years. Of course Apple aren't going to sell anything like the number Nokia do. However, everyone is comparing the N95 to the iPhone so that's why I'm comparing the sales figures of the 2.

11. Will

@Anonymous Coward

"It sounds like he already has a job, with Apple's Reality Distortion Dept."

That's right, just because I make positive comments about Apple I must somehow be weak willed and deluded. I'm not adverse to criticising Apple but I think you're wrong on this one.

12. Duncan

Title

"However, everyone is comparing the..."

So I will make the same comparison without justification as well.

13. Richard Kilpatrick
    Go

And, it's sorta unlocked!

If you already have an O2 SIM or just want to pop a PayG one in, it's now possible to Jailbreak, upgrade to 1.1.2 (proper) firmware in iTunes, and "activate" (or rather, patch so the phone appears to be activated) so it will work on the network it is locked to - O2 for the UK. Unlike previous (i.e. 2 days ago), this patch process allows full sync/iTunes and is reboot-resilient.

Which brings me to another point about the iPhone, as everyone bleats about "it costs £900!" and what it doesn't have. I am no less irritated by Apple's official route of sales and operation, but when you DO use it, and look at how it behaves, it's a bargain for £269 - especially if you are a Mac user waiting for a workable PDA.

You would struggle to get a PDA with 128MB RAM, 400MHz CPU, 8GB storage, WiFi AND Bluetooth (albeit useless, feature-crippled Bluetooth) for £269. And it would be practically impossible to get it with exceptionally good build quality, the fantastic touch screen, pretty good audio quality (teenagers will love annoying people with the volume it puts out). Added to that, you get a phone built in too!

Industry supply people have estimated the build cost at a couple of hundred dollars in terms of component price. It should, with R&D, taxes and so forth - and profit - taken into accout, be a £399 product - at which stage it would be rather akin to the old HP HX4700 but nowhere near as clunky. And fully Mac compatible.

3G is important; I use it a lot. I think it's meaningless on the iPhone since the iPhone cannot act as a modem or create sufficient content to require that bandwidth to upload it. At least, not yet. The third party apps are Palm-esque in appearance, not the heavyweight Windows Mobile "Pocket Artist" class.

Call quality is good, too. It's actually quite a nice phone.

Essentially the complaints must stem from people who are merely sick of the hype and want to make noise, and people who actually really WANT the iPhone, but cannot justify (and it is very hard to do so) the costs of terminating a contract, taking a mediocre deal from O2, and can see that certain key points in the spec are missing (like 3G) without taking into account that the phone itself is not overpriced per se - it's just that the subsidy model is the wrong way around.

That N95 everyone loves actually costs £364 (street price, retail is higher) and you can add £60 to that to get the 8GB storage. For that you get a lower-resolution screen (smaller, too), arguably lower build quality (and certainly a less pleasant interface), but critically, you get the ability to choose your network and add third-party applications.

If Apple were to make the iPhone "open" and unlocked, you'd still need to buy a contract to get good value data and phone use, so to say the iPhone costs £900 is a bit incorrect unless you intended to use it without any phone functions yet signed up regardless - for which the iPod Touch is a great alternative (and can be hacked to have the better iPhone software with editable contacts and calendars, making it a PDA). What is frustrating is that a clearly excellent device is hamstrung, rather than Apple having produced a poor device in the first place.

If you're prepared to spend 15 minutes or so (plus 1/2 hour of digging around for files and utilities) then the iPhone is a bargain £269 Mac friendly PDA which also conveniently integrates a phone, admittedly still tied to O2 but perfectly able to use a PayG SIM and GPRS data (if you get the cheap O2 contract with the "Web" package, it will use EDGE if available; PayG data is more of a hassle).

And it runs OS X, with all the proper unixy bits underneath. What's not to like? Your phone not only has a shell, it has a keyboard that works well enough to use it!

(Strangely enough, it also works VERY well in the car connected to an iPod-friendly head unit - the smaller memory, or perhaps Flash memory, makes it a lot more responsive than my 80GB iPod on the same device, and if I have a bluetooth headset and don't want to initiate calls, I can leave it in the glovebox and forget it - when a call comes in it pauses the music with a typically Apple "soft" fade instead of a hard pause, and resumes when the call is ended. Again, good call quality, too. And video playback on the device is very good; I've got a couple of converted music videos in iTunes which stutter when played unconverted on my Ameo, yet the iPhone plays them back perfectly).

14. Mike Graham
    Happy

RE: Yes the N95 is technically superior

"Sure you have an 18 month contract but then I'm sure a lot of people have 18 month contracts that are around the £35 a month mark"...yes that's £35 for a frankly crap contract thanks to Apple's revenue sharing but I suppose at the end of your 18 month contract you could always go to....erm....O2 again and continue paying the £35 a month until Apple decide they want to move to another provider. Or you could always use your £900 iBrick as a paper-weight or doorstop.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like