back to article 'I'll be back' is most-quoted movie line

Arnold Schwarzenegger's famous "I'll be back" line from Terminator has been fingered as the movie quote people use most in everyday chat. A poll of 2,000 film buffs by the UK Film Council's myfilms.com also revealed that people were wont to utter "Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn" in the style of Rhett Butler from Gone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John A Blackley

My personal favorite

"It's been emotional".

You know the film.

2. Bernard Mergendeiler

Go ahead, make my day.

A man has got to know his limitations

3. Chris Cheale
    Thumb Up

@BossHog

All those Aliens quotes and you missed...

"They're coming out of the god-damned walls" - used by me a lot when getting pwnd in any FPS.

"They mostly come out at night... mostly" - just because it's a little bit creepy.

----

also

"Shut it down, shut it down forever" - Dark City

"I know Kung Fu" - the Matrix

"Say hello to my little friend" - Carlito's Way (I think) parodied in Warcraft 3 (click on Trolls lots).

"This is my boomstick", "Gimme some sugar baby", "Goody little two shoes..." - actually, fuck it, just about anything ever said by Bruce Campbell in any of the Evil Dead films... blatently ripped off for Duke Nukem.

And if you're gonna get into the world of gaming "The cake is a lie" is about to becomes an instant classic!

4. Markie Dussard
    Go

@Anonymous Fu Manchu

I think you'll find that Fu Manchu responded to his setbacks with something along the lines of: "The world shall hear from me again"

5. Slaine
    Black Helicopters

quote me, quote you

"I'll have what she's having..."

... oh look - there's a big black helicopter outside. A nice man from the Daily Mail is asking me if I know me... I said he's my evil twin brother. Can I stay in this thread for a bit 'till the heat dies down?

"They're coming to take me away..."

My own personal favourites...

"Ok - we did the nose, but she IS a witch" and

"Come back here and I'll bite your kneecaps"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Toga party"

Either they didn't include student film buffs or students aren't the same as in my day.

7. Mark

"Say hello to my little friend"

Also used a lot in Privateer 2 by the pirates.

8. Markie Dussard
    Go

Most-used Blade Runner quote

Forget Roy/Rutger's pretentious C-beams and the improbability of anyone ever using that speech in a real conversation, the Blade Runner quote that seems to get used most often around our house is, rather embarrassingly: "Home again! Home again! Jiggedy-jig"

9. Philip Alexander
    Coat

It's not FU MANCHU

It was Emperor Ming the Merciless who said "The world shall hear from me again"

I'm old enough to have gone to the saturday morning pictures - can someone help me on with me coat

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Hmm...

"Your failure is now complete."

"I find your lack of faith... disturbing." (Both very useful in business)

(Serenity)

"You shoot me if they take me! [pause] Don't shoot me YET!"

(LOTR)

"We neeeeds it! It's ours!"

12. Mark Roome

and you call yourselves experts ...

Really now people, there are soem things which should CLEARLY not be forgotten.

"Run Forrest! RUN!"

"There's a glitch in the Matrix" (ok, I know its not a direct quote but close enough)

"I'm a doctor, not an engineer"

"I jus' can't do it captain, she's got no more power" (insert cheesy Scottish accent here)

13. Vaughan
    Go

A quote for any occasion

"That Melon Farmer can go flip himself"

14. Dave Bell
    Coat

I've seen things you wouldn't believe....

Nuclear missiles glinting in the sunlight on their launch pads...

Men walking on the Moon...

Supersonic airliners circling the world...

All gone, like tears in the rain.

15. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Coat

Would have thought it was ...

... "let's get out of here"

16. Stephen Teater

More Missed Quotes

"It rubs the lotion on its skin" - Whenever someone doesn't do what I tell them.

"Hello, Dave" But only with a creepy monotone.

17. Sweep

Toga! Toga!

Thanks, I needed that!

18. This post has been deleted by its author

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I ain't got time to bleed

"If it bleeds, we can kill it".

"You sending the Wolf?"

"Well I'm a mushroom cloud laying mutherfucker, mutherfucker!"

"Please, call me Winston"

"I'll be back!"... "Only in the re-runs".

"Spock, you have the con"... "Who the fuck is Spock?"

"It's life Jim, but not as we know it"

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

My Lord...

..I have a cunning plan.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Amongst... & How did they miss:

Ah, the #2 source of apt quotes in our IT shop (just after MPFC). More overlooked gems:

"Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling" -- Whenever it's pub time!

"Shomer fucking shabbos" -- Whenever it's one's turn to carry the off-hours pager.

"That rug really tied the room together" -- Whenever kit goes tits up.

"I am the walrus" and "At least I'm housebroken" -- Whenever someone's inane comment calls for a suitable retort.

But these and many other Coen-isms are prolly too existential to make any public list. (PS: we patiently await the day the BOFH finally transcends petty reality to achieve abidement with The Dude.)

/Yes, the coat with the pee stains. The Nihilists are already waiting outside for me./

22. Slaine
    Go

@ boss hog

"Say Hello to my litle friend" ... scarface mate - another utter classic.

23. Marco

And let's not forget:

"Greed is good" and "if you need a friend, get a dog".

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Fuck Paul Verhoeven, you asshole... and Casablanca

Paul Verhoeven screwed up.

Arnie's original line was "Fuck you, asshole" (selected from a menu of three possible responses seen on his head-up display, IIIRC).

The little old lady in Total Recall says "Fuck you, you asshole".

Totally spoiled the rhythm and meter of it, if you ask me. Every time I see that film, it just jars. I want to grab the little old lady and smack her around, while shouting "Fuck you and your "fuck you, you asshole, asshole", it's "fuck you, asshole", you asshole".

Oh, and Casablanca? "Play it", "Play it, Sam", and "Play it once, Sam". But never "Play it /again/". Which is the way it's usually (mis-)remembered.

Or did you mean "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot!

"It was Emperor Ming the Merciless who said "The world shall hear from me again""

The first - second? - chap was right, it was Fu Manchu, at least in the 1960s Hammer films with Christopher Lee, e.g. "The Brides of Fu Manchu". Unfortunately the IMDB doesn't have a quotes listing for any of them.

I don't think Ming the Merciless had a clever death quote. He probably wouldn't talk about the world hearing from him again; which world? He was more interested in conquering the universe, individual little planets were playthings for him.

I choose Paris Hilton as my avatar because, after all, we'll always have Paris.

26. this

Re: reprise quotes

all these 'I'll be back' - Fu Manchu, Ming, Arnie quotes - what did Shredder used to say in 'Mutant Hero Turtles' ? Can't find the reference, animated discussion in workplace etc. Was it 'I will return?' - there's a fiver riding on this, it's important. Any Help?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the Holy Grail?

Although many of the quotes called out here by themselves are used regularly, the movie which can inspire the most quotes has to be Monty Python and the Holy Grail! I give you...

"Go Away or I shall Taunt you again.."

"Fetcher la vache..."

"It's only a flesh wound!"

"Some call me.... tim"

"What is your Quest?"

"It's got fangs..."

I am sure each of these generated another 5 quotes which can be recited by many a friend or colleague in any home of office in Canada. I won't speak for the rest of the world but This has to be the movie that is most quotable.

28. Alex
    Paris Hilton

and ofc

"this is bat country"

if you don't know where that's from, you've failed in life.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Not Fu Manchu!

I was wrong, it wasn't Fu Manchu, his was indeed "The world shall hear from me again"

It was "The Spirit of Dark and Lonely water". Remember that BBC public information film telling children not to play near lakes? It finished with that echoing "I'll be back-ack-ack" http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4690150.stm

On the TV in the 70's like Fu, hence my confusion...

Ah, now I can get me coat & go home in peace

30. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

ok shoot me but...

I really love the lines from True Romance as he goads the hitman into shooting him. PC brigade be damned:

"Your ancestors were niggers and your great-great-great-great grandmother fucked a nigger and she had a half nigger kid. If that's a fact, tell me, am I lying?"

*bang*

31. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

re:Kane

Brother, life's a bitch... and she's back in heat.

LOVE that movie.

32. Chris Irvine
    Pirate

totally geeky but....

the poster who made the remark about StarScream in the Transformers tv series misquoted it, as it was re-written to suit the scene

Runabout : "hey, wheres your security pass?"

Starscreams Ghost : "passes? PASSES!? We don't NEED no stinkin passes!"

33. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Lock Stock...

If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth, or I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything, I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive Nick. Now, do you understand everything I've just said? Cause' if you don't, I'll kill ya! Now, Mr Bubble and Squeak, you may enlighten me.

Not when the price is 200 pound it ain't! And certainly not when you've got Liberia's deficit in your skyrocket. Tighter than a duck's butt you are. Now, lemme feel the fibre of your fabric.

Yeah, little bit of pain never hurt anybody. If you know what I mean. Also, I think knives are a good idea. Big, fuck-off shiny ones. Ones that look like they could skin a crocodile. Knives are good, because they don't make any noise, and the less noise they make, the more likely we are to use them. Shit 'em right up. Makes it look like we're serious. Guns for show, knives for a pro.

Harry didn't think that he did a very good job, so he grabbed the nearest thing to hand, which just so happened to be a 15 inch black rubber cock, and proceeded to beat poor old Smithy to death with. And that was seen as a nice way to go. Now, that, is why you pay Hatchet Harry, when you owe.

Eddie: They're armed.

Soap: What was that? Armed? What do you mean armed? Armed with what?

Eddie: Err, bad breath, colorful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit!

34. Michael

@ AndyB

You cocked up the Dirty Harry quote. Here it is, in it's unabridged form:

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

35. Rob Holmes

@ Chris Irvine

God dammit, passes, I remember now! In fairness its been about 10 years since I last watched that video.

*Vows to find somewhere that will sell him a new VCR*

And wheres the transformers posting icons?!?

36. Slaine
    Thumb Up

more Grail of the Holiest

"It's only a model", "Shhhhhhhhht!"

"N..n..n.. ... NOOOO", "No, no, that's "Ni !!"

"A SHRUBBERY!!!"

37. The los7boy
    Alert

oh come off it...

THE MOST used quote in ANY office...

is... "DOH!"...

Homer, i salute you...

38. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok Ok Hear's andother one

"Flash Gordons alive?"

Delivered as only Brian Blessed can.

39. Anthony Gamble

All time classic...

from 'Mystery Men'

"I don't need a compass to tell me which way the wind shines"

40. Tim
    Coat

I notice some of you are quoting from video games...

...and yet not one of you has mentioned "all your base are belong to us!!!"

Its a goddam travesty!

41. krek

that list is pathetic

"We're not in Kansas anymore" Wizard of Oz

"There's no place like home" Wizard of Oz

"Doh!" The Simpsons

"Mind if I have a some of your tasty beverage?" Pulp Fiction

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that" 2001 A Space Odyssey

"What we have here is a failure to communicate" Cool Hand Luke

"The Dude abides" The Big Lebowski

"That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age" Dazed and Confused

"All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life - remind me to kill myself" Dazed and Confused

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" Hackers

and that is just off the top of my head

42. Slaine
    Thumb Up

more....

"Follow the white rabbit"

Does it have to be a movie?

"I like my species the way it is" (best of both worlds - star trek s4, episode1)

43. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Some More...

Everybody's dead Dave. (Red Dwarf)

So if Little Red Riding Hood shows up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch. (Dog Soldiers)

I expect nothing but gratuitous violence from the lot of you. Just because we're firing blanks doesn't mean we have to be thinking nice thoughts. (Dog Soldiers)

I'm not breaking radio silence because you lot got spooked by a dead f**king flying cow. (Dog Soldiers)

You like pain? Try wearing a corset (Pirates of the carribean)

But why is all the rum gone? (Pirates of the carribean)

And call off christmas (Robin Hood POT)

I'm gonna dig your heart out with a spoon! (Robin Hood POT)

Woah Ugly (The three musketeers)

How can the same s**t happen to the same guy twice (Die Hard 2)

Run Away! Run Away (Monty Python & Holy Grail)

Any of you f**king pricks move and I'll execute every motherf**king last one of ye! (Pulp Fiction)

I'm gonna get medival on your ass (Pulp Fiction)

44. Slaine

I bow to the awesome "anonymous coward" and offer...

SAW (various) "Let's play a game..."

45. Michael Chester
    Thumb Up

Ok, so its not a movie but.....

Portal is by far the most quoted thing amongst my friends (most of us are doing Further Maths at college and so are all massive geeks).

"The cake is a lie"

"2 + 2 is..... 10... in base 4!! I'm fine!!"

"You can't kill me, i have the only permanent back up of your brain. Don't believe me? look, I'll put you in (squeaky voice) 'HELLO'. Look, that's you, see how stupid you sound!!"

"Now place the weighted storage cube on the heavy duty supercolliding super button"

"There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the companion cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends because of how unlikable you are. Unlikable, it says so here in your personnel file: Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. SHALL. NOT. BE. MOURNED. That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you're adopted, so that's funny too."

"Aperture science promises that you will be in no danger during the tests, if there is any danger, you will be given proper safety instructions, for example: the floor of this room will kill you, try not to touch it"

And of course singing the end theme whenever possible

(to those that cry spoiler, thats barely scratching the surface of funny quotes from that game....)

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting late, but

Where's the Kaboom? There was Supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom.

47. Scott Michaels

Title

They didn't even include any quotes from Spaceballs. How could that happen?

1... 2... 3... 4... 5... That's the combination to the airshield.

That sound like something an idiot would use on their luggage.

Oh my god, that's the same combination on my luggage!

We're passing Ludicrous Speed. We've gone... Plaid!

Oh great, a druish princess...

I'm Barf, Barfolomew.

And just so many more

Or how about Airplane:

Anyone here speak Jive?

Unger, Roger. Roger, Over. Over, Unger.

This was a bad day to give up *take you choice*.

And as for Star Wars, who can forget:

You scruffy, *something* nerfherder.

Who are you calling scruffy?

48. Damian Gabriel Moran
    Go

Snootch...

to the motherfuck*ng noooooooooootch!

49. Slaine
    Happy

Airplane ;)

"Do we have Clearance, Clarence?" (followed by...)

"Roger Roger, What's our vector, Victor?"

50. Steve Sorensen

Betelguese! Betelguese! Betelgeu

DELIA: This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?

BETELGEUSE: Not so fast, round boy. We're gonna have some laughs.

OTHO: Ugh. Deliver me from L.L. Bean.

LYDIA: I myself am... strange and unusual.

BETELGEUSE: We've come for your daughter, Chuck!

LYDIA: You can't scare her. She's sleeping with Prince Valium tonight.

BERNARD: DELIA, you are a flake. You have always been a flake. If you insist on frightening people, do it with your sculpture.

BARBARA: [as BETELGEUSE] Learn to throw your voice! Fool your friends! Fun at parties!

BETELGEUSE: It's showwwtime!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.