back to article Pilot sacked for footie star on flightdeck shocker

A former RAF pilot has been sacked for allowing Premiership leather worrier Robbie Savage "near the controls" of his aircraft in breach of anti-terrorism rules, the BBC reports. Pablo Mason, who flew 23 bombing missions over Iraq during Gulf War I, was flying a private Mytravel charter from Finland last October when he ill- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Dead Vulture

typical British reaction

...welcome to the UK

...astoundingly narrow and unsurprisingly British

...sometimes UK law make me wonder where it all went wrong!!

...ah well, at least you guys are giving us a fucking laugh in the U.S...

...Jesus would be locked up today in the UK

...Anyone wonder Britain is so hated by every country except Britain? (politicians excluded....)

Oh wait, these comments are from the stupid homeless-in-Florida story. Folks, please keep in mind there are stupid people everywhere. The U.S. has five times the population of the UK, so naturally we have five times the number of people at both fringes of the bell curve. Try not to hold it against the rest of us, and we'll do the same.

John A Blackley

So you're in a smallish plane completely occupied by friends and colleagues, no strangers at all that might be terrorists waiting to yell "Durka Durka Jihad Muhammad" and crash the plane.

One of your friends is scared of flying and the pilot decides that a good way to lessen that fear is to remove some of the mystery of what goes on behind the cockpit door (and perhaps allow said person to see they're not pissed and stoned and "playing chicken" with mountainsides for fun).

This is wrong by you because of the risk that one of your friends may cause the plane to crash.

If that's the level of trust you have in your mates, I'd hate to be one.

Remember, this was not a large airliner filled with a random mix of unrelated people who did not know one another. It was a smaller flight with people all known to each other.

While I might be concerned if the pilot let some random passenger I didn't know have a poke around the cockpit, I'd certainly have no problem if I was on a charter flight with, say, members of a club to which I belonged and I had met them all through the course of the club and the pilot let one of them up into the cockpit.

OK, not strictly true. I'd have a problem - likely to be a tad jealous unless I got to have a nosey 'round the cockpit, too.

@ Jim

Don't encourage people to wrap themselves in cotton wool, it's highly flamable. You'll get sued for wreckless endangerment, or even worse, get sacked.

Out of interest ...

There are some rich people out there who own there own in effect large commercial sized aircraft but don't necessarily fly it themsleves (see what John Travolta parks on his drive for example). Can they enter a cockpit they own during a flight?

What about Stelios at Easyjet, can he enter the Cockpit given he owns the plane?

Is George dubba ya allowed into the cockpit of Air Force One during a flight?

BTW I'm not calling George a terrorist ... honest .... really

@Mark

Robbie Savage is more of a star than you're likely to be. Getting to play at Premiership level is a fairly exclusive club.

(I'm already internationally famous, so I have nothing to prove)

:-)

But he's a footballer and as such a complete and utter waste of time and part of a huge plan to ruin any decent sportsmanship in the world and also a reason there's bugger all to watch on TV on a weekend!

Sad that the Rugby World Cup is nearly over :(

Oh for the good old days ...

... when one simply had to give one's business card to an air hostess (oops - member of cabin crew) and ask politely if she would ask the pilot if one could visit the cockpit. I have sat in a jump seat during cruise and for several landings in B747, B737, A300, A320, A330, and others. As I am a researcher into flight control systems, these experiences have been priceless.

The good old days are no more, alas. (As someone said, the terrorists have won.)

@ Blackley (and Why is society losing it?)

When I was a kid in the 80's, like other people I was allowed up front into the cockpit of an international jetliner. Can someone tell me exactly how many airplanes have been hijacked and crashed because the flight crew voluntarily asked someone onto the flight deck? Under 10? Under 5? Under 1???

Society is the loser as we pointlessly suck all of the joy out of the world.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018