back to article Facebook 'friend request' lands UK man in jail

A man who joined Facebook to look at his friend's wedding pics, was sent to jail after the site automatically sent a "friend request" message to his estranged wife. Dillon Osborn, of Newport Pagnell Bucks, had been told by magistrates to stay away from his wife, Claire Tarbox, after bombarding her with phone calls and text …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. John A Blackley

Oh yes he did

Did any of the "Facebook does this", "No, Facebook does that" posters above read the part about "after bombarding her with phone calls and text messages"?

The guy was under an injunction to stop contacting his wife. It is not the role of the judge or anyone else to hold his hand as he walks through life and help ensure that he understands every feature of every (in the case of Facebook, in my opinion) pointless, time-wasting piece of software trash he's ever likely to use.

That's his job. He is under a court order to not contact his wife. He broke that court order because he used something he didn't learn enough about before using it. He spent a few days in jail. Hardly the most egregious miscarriage of justice I've ever heard of.

2. Joe

Not only, but also...

Facebook doesn't just suggest that you might like to let it scan your MSN contacts.

When you first sign up it pretty much insists that you do this and that there's no other way to add friends!

But, of course, that's intentional on Facebook's part.

3. Adam T

@ Ah but

Facebook tricks non-savvy people into uploading their contacts, and mails them invites indisciminately.

Facebook emails you as if you have an account already, too. So it's easy to be confused at both ends.

Since the email is unsolicited (it isn't explained clear enough at sign-up to say that you specifically agree to send email yourself), I'd call it spam, and Facebook should be fined for every fucking email I get from them (not from people who have my addy in their contacts).

I hate social networking sites. Money tree shite. "But it helped me meet people I'd forgotten about". Ever wonder why you forgot about them? Duh.

4. Perry
    Gates Horns

@Anonymous Vulture

Who is this Anonymous Vulture bloke and why is he always contradicting himself...

I hope you don't have my facebook account....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@The Other Steve

You can change your name yourself. Just go to elreg.regaccount.com and log in.

6. Bob Appleyard

Happened to me

I accidentally invited an ex when I signed up for Facebook. Luckily, no restraining orders with that one!!

7. JC

Ex-Wife Obviously The Problem

The ex-wife receives a spamlike invite, and instead of just deleting it like everyone else, she's actively LOOKING to do harm to him when he's otherwise stayed away.

Would a "friend invite" ever be considered a form of harassment when otherwise nothing has recently transpired? Seems like if anything it would be like extending an olive branch. Even so, if he had done in intentionally it's in violation of the order so I couldn't condone an intentional action, but regardless of intent or lack thereof, his ex was very petty in reporting this spam invite and by this action it would seem she doesn't have enough sense to just stop fanning the fire. It takes two people to have a conflict.

8. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

AIUI

From discussions with a number of divorcees apparently the first thing you do in an acrimonious divorce is apply for a restraining order, it gets the house, kids & money because of your 'immense suffering'. Remind me again what percentage of men get custody?

Possibly this is a little cynical but 7 days seems harsh for what could possibly be a mistake. I could understand it if the email was directly adressed to the ex wife containing questionable material, this was no worse than receiving some mail addressed to Mr & Mrs Jones after a divorce, either there is more to this story or its a dodgy judgement.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is an automated message a 'contact'

There's a good argument for saying that a 'friends request' isn't a contact, its a request for you to make a contact. If you don't want to make contact, then you just delete it.

Facebook likes to vacuum up your email address book. This may be where the problem came from.

The wife sounds like a serious psycho.

10. The Other Steve
    Thumb Up

RE @The Other Steve

Duh! So you can, thanks.

I seemed to remember that when I signed up some time ago *to get the reg newsletter) the text said that that wouldn't be possible, and I've never updated my prefs since.

Of course, my memory could be impaired from all the wine swilling :-)

11. Tony
    Coat

No wonder the prisons are full

No wonder the prisons are full

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why oh why....

.....do so many people want to mess around with these sad little soc. net. sites anyway?! They are asking for trouble..... Who cares who knows who and what they had for lunch yesterday, or who said what about who?! Honestly - if you dont stay in touch with people in real life it is normally because one of you isn't so keen on the other anyway.

People who crave attention and post themselves up on these types of site deserve whatever they get. What kind of hard of thinking character would splurge their personal information, their profile, up on the internet for anyone to see? How short sighted are these people?

Facebook is fantastic for siphoning identities and enumerating targets for social engineering scams, and for lazy law enforcement `intelligence` gathering.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

HOHOHO

Anon here playing with the new picture things

Anyway I know lots of retards that use those stupid "send shit to friends" buttons. Most of them of course have been blocked from my email but you never know when someone is gonna become a tool.

Facebook is actually pretty determined to get access to your mail lists and it isn't just when you first sign up - I ended up getting banned becouse I wouldn't use my real name for my username.

Shit site full of retards is both shit and retard full. But idiot law types are also idiots.

14. Matthew Hale

`twas me!

Not Anonymous Coward!

Please, credit where credit is due!

;)

15. Angela

Mark - Re your comment

"Yup, as I've always said, there are fewer differences between men and women than men think. There are also fewer difference between men and women than women hope.

As to your addition to the noise level, since the respondent was to a query as to how psychotic the MAN was, surely, putting "human" in the codilla would have blamed men and women equally in itself and, in the context of the entire conversation be deriding men as psychotic TWICE? Therefore, it can be seen that their response was even handed. Of course, if you have a vested interest in women not being painted as bad (even where the conversation has already discussed men as being bad), you won't have noticed that, which is why this long and rambling discourse was taken."

Eeurrgh. As a woman, comments as obscure and pedantic as the above, explains exactly why, after 20 years of restless marriage some women snap and brain their fidgety, nitpicking little husbands with an enormous iron frying-pan.

Although, with your defence of the previous comment and the obvious sophistry when it comes to gender, I'd guess your search for the perfect soulmate is still ongoing.

16. Billy Verreynne

Where nobody knows your name.. not when your one in 34 million

Er.. sorry.. cannot help but to laugh at all you millions of pathetic idiots on Facebook and other e-social networks.. I mean, just how desperate do you have to be in your real life to want to get a 1000+ friends on Facebook?

Sheez.. "get a fricken life" probably has no meaning to you either.

Oh well - at least it keeps all you 34 million idiots out of the local pub.

17. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like