El Reg Redesign - leave your comment here.

December 19 Update no.4 - changes Changed screen outside site background colour from white to grey. Top Art in stories - now editorially selectable - in response to feedback about relevance (see above). Reduced headline font size on Hero “story” at top of front page, articles and forum pages. Masthead - entirely …

This topic was created by Drewc .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElReg!comments!Pierre Silver badge

Wait, what?

We don't think we're brighter than the BBC

Perhaps not, wouldn't know, don't care. You're also not brighter than even a pretty dim star, or a 500 W construction spot for that matter. I usually avoid staring at those, too.

images

Yeah, that. well they're not going away apparently.

There's also the mouseover bar; the newly-added delay is nice but on my browser when you pass the mouse over it to reach the browser's command bar it pops up and won't go away, which means I have to sneak the pointer by the side gap. No biggie; a bit annoying.

Soooo I found a solution. w3m. Black background, no image. No problem.

I don't know what it does to advertising revenue but at least it's a version of the site I can actually look at, which has to be better than no page views at all.

Plus I get to use a truly good no-nonsense web browser.

2. Wheaty73

Change is scary

OK, while the changes are jarring at first, and they do look bloody awful on *wide* monitors, does anyone remember the shit Arstechnica got when they had a redesign? Or the BBC? People hate change.

There are valid points about the amount of white. Allowing a nerd-mode light-on-dark would be nice, but in the meantime a little less glare would be appreciated. Again, check out Ars' Dark on Light theme.

The images are... a bit ameteurish? And having Miley Montana pop up gurning at the top of a page is a bit unsettling at work. Get a graphic artist not an intern.

Columns. Four columns to a page is excessive, particularly as they are fixed in width. Pull out your highlight stories to one on the RHS and leave two columns on the left for your main content. Make them flow with the width of the page as well.

Site looks OK on Mobile IE but too much zoom needed. As others have said, and as you have responded, responsive design is needed but complex. Still, its much better than before.

Keep at it, i am sure you will get to a point where people forget the old site and the new changes bed in.

Or, license the CMS from Ars. And the forums please, theirs is great.

3. JDX Gold badge

Oh for goodness sake

Every single site redesign I've ever seen people demand "I just want the choice to turn it back the old way". Get over it and grow up, like you had to with Ribbon.

The quicker you accept it is here to stay, the quicker you will get used to it and stop even noticing. The other choice is to choose to make it a massive problem which only hurts you in the long run, like people who love to show off how they can't use Office or Windows8. If those people spent 10% of the time they spend bitching, learning how things worked, they would be fine.

As for the "too white" - this also comes up all the bloody time on site re-designs. It is NOT bad for your health. If your eyes hurt, turn your monitor down or stop staring at it. It is no whiter than all the other sites you look at.

It's a bloody website.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Oh for goodness sake

"Get over it and grow up, like you had to with Ribbon."

Being forced to use Office + ribbon by policy is one thing. Liking it is another. Personally, I simply switched to LibreOffice since I was able to and it does everything I need. MS lost all future Office sales from me. And I am quite grown up thanks.

2. Len Goddard

One of the most irritating posts which comes up far too frequently is the idiot who says "get over it" when people voice legitimate complaints about a change. How about I change your A/C so that it sprays cat excrement all over you at regular intervals - are you going to get over that? It is perfectly reasonable to complain about change if you think it is for the worse. If you think these changes are an improvement then by all means say so, but don't try to make others stop complaining if they don't. If you don't like reading their complains, stop reading the comments because it is clear most people don't appreciate this makeover.

Oh, yes, it is whiter than most of the other sites I read. And it is uncomfortable but turning the monitor down is not a sensible suggestion as too many other things would become unreadable.

Can't downvote your post until I figure out why it doesn't work any more on my system.

1. JDX Gold badge

>>One of the most irritating posts which comes up far too frequently is the idiot who says "get over it" when people voice legitimate complaints about a change.

No, it's the idiot who thinks that because they're borderline autistic and can't cope with change, this is a legitimate complaint someone should do something about.

I'm not talking about technical glitches like alignments getting broken, but the things I mentioned. I've seen loads of community websites announce new versions and these comments come up EVERY TIME. Even when a website refreshes a 2nd time, the same comments come up again. They're not comments about usability or real problems, they're just people who cannot adjust.

Again - voice real complaints and then let go, it is the quickest route to getting on with your life and getting over the thing.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge

@JDX - If people didn't care so much, they wouldn't take the time to complain (in their droves it seems).

If you are advocating that people should care less, then doesn't that have a knock-on effect to the (legendary) loyalties of the El Reg readership?

You know what they say, be careful what you ask for.

1. JDX Gold badge

'Loyal' communities are the worst when it comes to changing anything because they view the site as home and think they own it or have some say over it. When management come in and run roughshod over their desires, it's a reminder that's not the case.

I think that's why things get so heated, it's like if your local pub of 30 years has a refit and you hate it, you feel like you should've been consulted.

I actively choose to just get on and acclimatise even if I don't like it much because I never saw a site flip-flop on these kind of things and the content is what's important. I've already almost stopped noticing the changes in layout/

1. Sir Runcible Spoon Silver badge

"I've already almost stopped noticing the changes in layout"

I wish I could say the same. I've given it a while to try and get used to it but it just isn't happening.

Funny thing about pubs, a few of the locals that I knew in my youth (that I stopped going to once they had their souls ripped out with a re-furb) have had more changes of management than I can count and are looking decidedly ratty these days (and not in a care-worn kind of way).

What those pubs forgot is that when they alienated the 10-15 regular drinkers to attract a more well-heeled clientele, they forgot about the tides of fashion and how quickly they can leave you high and dry. Those regulars (from one particular pub I know about) ended up patronizing another of the local pubs (not quite as nice as the original, but still has that care-worn feel to it). That pub is still going strong.

I'm not so egotistical that I believe I have a say in how the Reg presents itself, or generates it's cash to keep running, nor am I ignorant of the resistance to change that most people feel. I do, however, have experience of how easily a reputation can be lost, never to be recovered, when the hard-core of a site that makes it so vibrant and attractive to visit is alienated to the point where they drift off to other corners of the web.

For all I know getting rid of the current crowd of hooligans would be the best thing that the Reg has ever done - it may get a different set of loyal readers that actually see that adverts (let alone click on them!) - I'm not convinced though.

1. JDX Gold badge

In my experience lots of people clamour "this is awful" and "I'll have to consider leaving if you don't put it back" but very few actually will leave unless the site is actually broken rather than aesthetically unpleasing to them.

And the ones who really will leave over a colour scheme, are generally not that much of a loss although they think they will be.

Sorry for being blunt in my other comments but as I said I've seen this story unfold on other techy/IT/nerdy community sites and it's almost like there's a script that gets passed round. The moment I saw the new design (I wasn't aware it was coming) I knew the kind of complaints and feedback El Reg would get. So forgive my grumpiness, people complaining about someone trying to improve a wonderful resource they get for free makes me feel old and weary the Nth time round ;)

4. Mint Sauce

The only thing I'd really like to see is.....

A page somewhere which shows the stories ONLY in chronological order - most recent stories first. No 'most read' no 'featured' etc. Just every post to the site, newest first.

I usually use the mobile site as it's the closest to this, but I still have to scroll past the top stories, and also the list that follows often has old stories popping up amongst the newer ones...

#firstworldproblems ;-)

Other than that, no real probs with the new layout. If I can get used to Win8 I'm sure I can get used to this ;-)

1. Drewc Gold badge

Re: The only thing I'd really like to see is.....

There is actually that page of all stories in reverse chronological order -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Week/.

1. Len Goddard

Re: The only thing I'd really like to see is.....

That is SO much better than the home page. Thank you (and others who have posted it).

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Not Convinced

What on earth is wrong with having stories in a simple list style (variable width of course). This is the most user friendly way to make information clearly, and efficiently accessible.

As has been said repeatedly. We're not kids, nor shiny-chasers with a goldfish attention span.

Why are so many technically orientated sites going on this bling downward spiral? I'm even seeing it from mainstream electronic parts suppliers.

1. Drewc Gold badge

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Week/

Above is link to all stories in reverse chronological order.

1. Steve 114
        Thumb Up

Re: http://www.theregister.co.uk/Week/

Thank you - I've changed the link from my icon. Could you post a notice there if ever the frontpage nonsense is sorted out, so that we can move back?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My feedback on your latest missive

"We don’t think we are any brighter than, say, Amazon or the BBC, although we recognise that our restricted colour palette may be an aggravating factor in your perceptions of glare. While we consider this, as an interim measure we are thinking of changing the background colour outside the site."

* Amazon - has lots of pictures of items that I might want to buy, breaking the site up. Full width page so more shown - meaning less background shown

* BBC - couldn't comment, wouldn't go to that left-wing rubbish

Your site is now literally so white that I haven't read a single article apart from BOFH since you did the redesign. And even BOFH I did a CTRL-A, CTRL-C, CTRL-V to a VIM window so I could read it without hurting my eyes. The only page I've read since your change is this one, and then only once, maybe twice a day,

Why do we all hate it with such a passion?

The vast majority of us are in IT - we've all done, or do, web design at some point in our careers, (with varying degrees of success). And over 800 comments later we're telling you that this design is a total utter failure and we don't like it.

I know your tag line is "biting the hand that feeds IT" - well right now you are biting us. I recall in a previous comment you claimed that our feedback is akin to claiming that "we have physically assaulted you". No, we are not claiming that *YOU* have physically assaulted us, we are saying that your site is an assault upon our sense and sensibilities.

In regards to your feedback:

I noticed one of the El Reg people making a few responses to people in the comments and saying "why do I bother". I have 2x things to say to you:

1) I don't have the time/patience to wade through 18 (currently) pages of comments to try and find where you have responded to an earlier comment. I should be able to see your new comments on the latest page with something like "In response to ..." and a link to the previous comment. Your site is far too bright to spend a huge amount of time here.

2) You have to EXPECT to get down votes etc when you are not giving people the responses that they want to hear. Yes, I know that you have to toe the corporate line, and that you are not the person responsible for this mess. But you are the voice that is responding, and we need SOMEONE/SOMETHING to take out our frustrations on. So I guess in a word I'm trying to say "GROW UP AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN - IT'S ONLY A BUNCH OF COMMENTS, NOT LIKE WE'VE PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED YOU (unlike what your site has done to us - see point 1)".

Finally: pictures.

I do not come to the Reigster to look at pictures. If I want to look at pictures, I either pick up one of my kids books, turn the telly on, or go to a damn p*rn site and look at some REAL pictures. The images on your site are a distraction from what I come to see, which is the articles themselves. Now when I look at your site, all I'm confronted with is giant pictures that I couldn't care less whether they have anything to do with the article or not. The only place pictures are relevant is part of a review, in which case you should be showing me thumbnails and giving me the option to see a larger version IF I SO CHOOSE. Not forcing me to look at your damn clipart fetish.

Right, I'm off to the pub for the office Christmas do. Enjoy, and make of this as much or as little as you like.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: My feedback on your latest missive

"GROW UP AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN - IT'S ONLY A BUNCH OF COMMENTS, NOT LIKE WE'VE PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED YOU"

I only sighed to the effect of "why bother" because some people wanted a total revert, no other options. Which doesn't leave much room for dialog. Trust me, I've had far worse from the internet than the feedback here :)

Merry Christmas,

C.

1. Anonymous Custard Silver badge

Re: My feedback on your latest missive

I think it's more we want you to step back to what it was before whilst you rethink what went well and what went badly in this update, rather than leaving us stewing in an update that we hate at least parts of whilst you do so.

I'm sure there are some parts of it that people do like, even if they're not fully aware of them directly (if it's stuff under the bonnet/hood) or just that everyone's focussed on the negatives like the whiteness.

Also it's probably a bit surprising at the attitude that's being taken (or at least appearing to be taken, after all the only feedback for our complaints is your good self so far), especially given the delight that el Reg (or certain members of it) have taken in lambasting Microsoft for doing almost the very same thing with Win8 in terms of ignoring user (or reader in your case) feedback.

So maybe it's time for some more "official" feedback or action on all this, before the frustration leads to the only other course of action we have than venting in comment threads like this, namely abandoning the site (either fully or just visiting less).

7. julian abbs

i like it

not a lot, but it's ok

however despite many years of reading the register i have to say i hadn't quite realised what a miserable whining bunch of entitled bastards my fellow commentards are, so you have my sympathy there...

p.s. One issue (forgive me if it's been mentioned before, i lost the will to live after the first page of whinging) is that the site search overlaps the link to "WEEKEND EDITION" in the nav when active

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Educational Training - news just in...

Just got a call from the wife who teaches in one of the local schools. I showed the misses what had happened to the site and how bad I thought it was, as you would need a 55" monitor, in portrait just to by-pass the images so that you could read the article or else do a whole lot of scrolling. Guess what - she showed this to the Web Development class teacher, and congratulations to the The Register, the teacher of that class now has a web site to show how "not to design a site". Way to go The Register, I now have a reason to promote this site once again. Many thanks for this. What is that old saying, every cloud has a silver lining - sometimes we just have to look really hard to find it. (Posted Anonymously as I am in work at the moment).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Educational Training - news just in...

'she showed this to the Web Development class teacher, and congratulations to the The Register, the teacher of that class now has a web site to show how "not to design a site"'

I'll take That Never Happened for $500, Alex.

1. JDX Gold badge

When a web development teacher knows the first thing about designing a proper website I'll eat my hat. I've never ever seen a site, even one built by a good web designer, that ANY other web designer wouldn't say "that's a bit crap, you should re-do it".

It is massively subjective for a start, and also affected by trends and fashions just like magazines are in terms of what looks good.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thanks - still in work so posting anonymously (did the original post you replied to). Used to work in IT a long time ago and never did web design but I do understand what you are saying. Maybe you are 100% right as I do not have a clue other than to say, it hurts my eyes, the white. Here it goes, this is the time to show my total lack of knowledge in the web and how the whole thing works but can a site give you a configuration page whereby you could set things like background colour, text colour for read and unread articles? If that was possible and implemented here, everything else they have done, I could accept. Is this type of configuration page possible? I know a cookie would have to be stored on my PC to enable the site to remember my preferences for this computer I am working on, but could it be done? If so, could we add in other settings for things like image sizes (or to remove then altogether), ads (static, animated, video) selector options as I love static ads but hate animated / video ones. Would any of that be possible through a configuration page? Really would like to know as I know nothing of the languages / tools / packages available for web design. Honest questions, asked honestly and would like a simple honest answer, if possible - many thanks to one and all. Really appreciate it. Thanks - Happy Holidays

9. Nick 18

Well. It is a sterile sort of clean look.

My biggest gripe - there's no "Print" button on any article so that I can view/search an entire article on one long page.

I had thought about checking all 18 pages of comments for a similar comment - and gave up after 2 pages. If only you had a print button that put it all on one page - I could have searched through it much easier.

10. Dan Dyer

Try reducing the contrast by making the text very dark grey rather than black

People complaining about how white the site is are perhaps more irked by the contrast than anything. Most modern sites that use a white background don't usually have fully black (#000) text. Try a dark grey such as #333; it will make things a bit less stark.

11. moiety

@theregister - you're doing it wrong. The biggest mistake of all was just dropping the design on us.

People ***HATE*** UI changes. That seems to go double for nerds. Look back at the comments for any UI changes, by anyone, anywhere and you will see exactly the same reaction. I refer you particularly to Windows 8; Facebook changes and any software that people spend a lot of time on; but any UI change will do. Partly this is to do with convenience...people don't like having to relearn where everything is and what happens when you click this bit etc.

What you should have done was to consult with your readers first. This would have the triple benefit of 1) throwing more brains at the problem so you would have got more ideas (and you would have been made aware of stuff that you maybe hadn't thought of; the 'print' bit being useful for those using text readers as an example) 2) you would have got some people onside so the commentardery would have been more various factions and it wouldn't be Reg vs. readership ("I am become death, destroyer of eyesight") and 3) It would mitigate the fact that the redesign is mainly for the benefit of El Reg and it would seem less like a fuck you from our point of view. Bear with me for a sec here...the redesign would appear from your initial comments to be largely about ad placement and tuning the ads for maximum profit. You're the site owner and nobody has a problem with you making a few quid (although it's fairly dicey ground to start with given your readership's near-allergy to ads and tracking and that sort of malarkey); but what works for you is not necessarily what site visitors want. Designing the site for your own purposes at the expense of treasured toys and dropping it on your readership is going to feel like a gigantic "fuck you and your opinion because you're not important, minion" to every single reader. And you're looking at 18 pages-worth of the results of that feeling.

Everybody uses the site differently; in their usage patterns; the kit they are looking at it with; and their reason for visiting the site in the first place. Therefore different aspects of the redesign are going to have varying effects on different visitors. I have a mouse with a scroll wheel, so I don't give much of a toss about scrolling. I have a 17" 1080p monitor and mostly work at night, so the glare is a big problem for me...it would be hyperbole to say that I'm getting calls from the local lighthouse asking me to turn it down a bit; but saying that I can't see the fucking thing for 15 seconds after using your site is a statement of fact. It is really -in case you've missed it in the subtle comments- too bright. That's my particular bugbear, followed closely by the lack of vlink contrast. Other users are going to have other things that particularly piss them off, depending upon the way they use the site etc.

@Drewc - don't take it personally. Everyone hates UI changes. Dropping UI changes upon an unsuspecting bunch of readers is going to be seen as a fuck you and that will affect the tone of any response. Doing that to a readership who are technically sophisticated just...doesn't help.

1. Drewc Gold badge

Redesign for ad changes

Thanks Moeity for your feedback - we'll read it carefully. Just one point from me for now - we did not make changes for ads purposes. By placing ad above the masthead - we have actually de-emphasised the top ad slot.

1. moiety

Re: Redesign for ad changes

Welcome. The post above was mostly to point out that a shitstorm was inevitable, so don't take it to heart; and also that you can lessen the pain somewhat in future by having a consult first (although I suspect that -after this has all blown over- you might not feel like redesigning for quite some time) rather than just sproinging it on people between page refreshes.

I posted about the psychology and effects because you seemed disheartened and a little surprised by the reaction. Remember that a UI redesign for software that people use often is -actually and physically- rearranging their desks without asking them. Only a tiny bit of the desk, but nevertheless. Butthurt is going to happen and there's no avoiding it. The "without asking them" part is key and that bit can be avoided.

Apologies for the assumption that the redesign was ad-tuning based - your early posts did seem to imply that a bit.

2. Joseph Eoff

Re: Redesign for ad changes

Actually, putting the ad at the top like that emphasises the ad as well as pushing actual content off the bottom of the screen.

My eyes start at the top of the screen and scan down. The ad is the first thing my eyes hit while scanning for content.

2. julian abbs

it was a bit of a shock, coming as it did on top of the guardian redesign i felt overwhelmed... (that's not sarcasm, sadly) it is a bit bright too, was the logo really that red before?

3. JDX Gold badge

@moeity

From my experience consulting members just makes them believe they will get what they want and they'll be just as cross when they don't, maybe more so "you didn't listen to us at all".

I think "dump the new site and stick your fingers in your ears" is probably as good an approach as anything. Feedback will always be overwhelmingly negative with a large proportion clamouring "put it back how it was" so I'm not sure attempting to placate people actually achieves anything other than wear you out and risk you getting pissed off with your users.

You raise good points but being pragmatic, people are going to bitch.

1. moiety

Re: @moeity

@JDX - I see where you're coming from and -yes- consultancy does not come without it's own pitfalls, but it can be done with minimal pain if you structure your consultancy properly and state the rules upfront; something along the lines of:

1) These bits are going to be changed in this way for this reason...we're open to suggestions to better ways of doing it, but these things -or something analogous- are going to happen.

2) These are the bits that might be changed - thoughts? Remember that we only have so much space and implementing a new toy may well require losing an old one.

3) Any other suggestions, including things about the current design that annoy you and maybe can be fixed while we're poking it.

RULES: We know we're not going to please everyone. Weapons will be confiscated at the door. Thank you.

The main argument for consultancy is prepping your audience so that they know that something's coming and lessening the shock when it actually arrives. People will -of course- still bitch but consultancy takes some of the heat out of it and also redirects and disperses some of it. Then there's reader engagement and making people feel involved in the process which helps keep your loyal users loyal. There's also the fact that there's no clickbait like a good argument and -with a suitably rabid userbase- you could keep it going for a good week or three. From an adminning point of view, it's funny as fuck to watch the "Off-White Crew" square off against the "Semi-Transparent Sepia Militia"; with occasional raids by the "What's Wrong With Cream You Cunts Posse". Then someone will inevitably mention fonts (office pool for the time interval) and it all goes religious, as do your ad impressions.

The other main point is to remind people gently whose site it is. Our territorial instincts are just not built for other people's 'property' to be running in our homes. The correct etiquette is, I believe, to call whoever changed anything twelve types of bastard and threatening to leave. Dropping the design and the mic does establish ownership, right enough; but it's possible to broach the subject in a much kinder fashion and establish a mood that's more we're all in this together rather than take it bitch.

It is hard work, I'll grant you; but worth doing, in my demi-anonymous internet opinion.

12. Oninoshiko

"we will not be making panicked or rush decisions."

You mean you're done doing that after making the worst possible changes you could?

13. TheRealRoland
    Joke

That's it!

A bit of comic relief thrown in for free.

"Daddy, I do not want a boat like this."

or

"Hey, Daddy, *I* want an Oompa Loompa! I want you to get me an Oompa Loompa right away"

or, for the younger generation:

"But I don't want any old squirrel! I want a *trained* squirrel!"

(and no, i won't get my coat. I like it here, thanks very much)

14. Admiral Grace Hopper

White

I know from your last update that you don't believe that the site is now too white, but believe me, it really is very, very white indeed.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: White

Though I must admit that 30+ years of staring at 80 column / 24(or 25) line green on black screens may have coloured my judgement.

2. Drewc Gold badge

We completely accept that many of you find the site too white. In itself that is not a biggie. The fact that many of you find the sight too bright and therefore harder to read is an issue that we have to consider.

1. Ralph the Wonder Llama
        Happy

To show, despite my colleagues' insistence, that I am not a complete curmudgeon, thanks for this. If there was one tweak I could wish for above all others, it would be this. By comparison most other issues, for me, are relatively meh.

1. JDX Gold badge

For balance, it's not too white. It's quite pleasant on all my monitors.

I use Visual Studio and NotePad++ and MSWord and Explorer all the time and they don't hurt me either, and I don't change all my theme settings to brown on black or anything.

Maybe you all have your monitors turned up too much or sit too close to the screens :)

15. sjsmoto

Except for the large and often unnecessary image at the top of articles, I have no complaints for your free site that I get tons out of for free.

16. This post has been deleted by its author

17. Triggerfish

Some thoughts

So from your latest article some responses from me.

1. The site is too white - making it hard on the eyes.

Its not that the site is to white as such that makes it hard on the eyes its that you have chosen a shade of gray almost at the white end of the spectrum as your dividers it doesn't break the site up into sections properly that's what's effecting the readability.

2. Pictures and headlines in stories and the “hero pic’ at the top of the front page are too big, making for unnecessary scrolling.

Serioulsy they are try using an average office monitor and its to big on a mobile its bloody awful, also if you don't want to have an autoswitch to mobile because its to tricky/risky fine but if you are not then really you need to get the picture sizing sorted.

3, Just put it back to the way it was before

I don't know if it needs that but it would be nice you actually listened to some of the feedback and acted on it, rather than coming back and complaining that we all don't like you, either ask for the feedback and deal with it or don't and publish and be dammed, but don't start giving out the "your holding it wrong type excuses".

Also I liked the side tab that gave you most read and most commented, the new way of doing it is inelegant and messy in comparison.

1. Drewc Gold badge

Re: Some thoughts

Well - we are looking to do something about pics.

As for 3. - I am not complaining! Seriously, I am just trying to summarise the feedback.

1. Triggerfish

OK apologies on the whining comment, this is turning into a bit of a megathread though, have you thought of doing some page were you collate suggestions or give us a vote on what would be a preferred change and what we find truly abhorrent.

2. Haku

"Well - we are looking to do something about pics."

Here's a couple of suggestions I think a lot of regular visitors can get behind:

NO PICTURE ON THE FRONT PAGE AT ALL!

and:

DON'T PUT A PICTURE IN THE ARTICLE IF IT HAS NO ACTUAL RELEVANCE TO THE SUBJECT BEING DISCUSSED!

You're splashing stock pictures around like clueless people used to do with excess amounts of clip art in the early days of desktop publishing. It's not wanted, we're already here to read the articles, you don't need to try and lure us in with stupid, irrelevant pictures that hog most of the screen.

2. deshepherd

> 3, Just put it back to the way it was before

or just addd www.theregister.co.uk/classic

18. Ketlan

Sadly, I had a whole lot of shit to say here but after reading God knows how many pages of pissed-off commentards putting in their bits, I can't be bothered. You want a death threat? Here you go. 'If you don't revert, I'll kill myself.' Fucking sad, isn't it. 'If you don't revert, I'll go elsewhere for my IT coverage', sounds a little better.

At the moment, I'm reading this site via the feed. Gawdelpus, I used to love reading it by any means possible.

19. Jan 0

Now I never need to look at the home page again!

> "we continue to offer this view: http://www.theregister.co.uk/Week/"

Wow, I'd never explored that link before, now there's no turning back, although I'd still like you to turn down the whiteness.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019