back to article So what's in a URL? The Reg URL?

The Register started out as a UK operation with a UK addressed web site, but accidentally and against our expectations became a pretty successful international operation. In deference to marketing we should point out that in recent years the international success has been both planned and deliberate, but that certainly isn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

uk, OK?

PLEASE keep the .co.uk. Really. If it weren't such a great site I wouldn't care, but Britishness seems to be an integral part of The Reg - don't lose it!

Anonymous Coward

theregister.co.uk

El Reg is decidedly British, both in coverage and in sense of the absurd. Cover global news, by all means, but don't drop the British identity, or you risk changing the essential character of El Reg.

ca.theregister.co.uk, anyone? I know, what Canadian IT news? :P

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

It's British. It should say so and be proud.

You could always add ...

.co.gb

But that would probably be a step too far

Keep .CO.UK

Your made in Britain and should be proud of it. Journalism is one of industries the UK is respected for above other Countries. This enhances your credibility world wide, gives a feeling of quality and demostrates your not prepared to compromise you indentity to commerical pressure.

You abandon .CO.UK you abandon Vulture Heritage and that will harm your brand.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

I'm from Canada and I only ever read www.theregister.co.uk. Keep up the good work!

.co.uk

seems to me that you were seeking some, erm, sycophancy...

What dot?

You've done fine so far, singing from the .uk hymnsheet. Why change it?

I feel resentful that we have to put our country in our urls, but the Amercans don't. It was of course, deliberate. We got in first with postage, so we're the only country in the world that doesn't put the country name on stamps. The Americans must have been resenting that for the last 150 years.

Anonymous Coward

Don't care

Really, it's the great content that matters...

mmmmmmm ... puppies

Re: By Steve ".co.uk or the puppy gets it."

Posted Friday 8th June 2007 10:07 GMT

Are the puppies in a nice black-bean sauce?

Its late, dinner's on my mind...

For the rest, my opinion was best put by the person who wrote -

"The Register is a British publication that just happens to have a global readership."

Anonymous Coward

com is for l-US-ers

As long as you don't start wearing ten-gallon hats and driving humvees to your line-dancing class I couldn't care. You have a double-barreled site name "the-reg" seems right to have a double-barreled "co-uk" ending. But you have international readership and journalism so I see the case for change -- what happened to the USreg ? If that's getting all the traffic then change, or leave it; basically I'd like to firmly declare my apathy.

Anonymous Coward

Do what?

.co.uk every time for me. We're in the UK, you're in the UK, I want the rest of the world to know that the UK has the very bestest interwebsites!

But wait...

I've been using Wizz RSS for ages now with Reg...that's how I got to this story. But hang on a cotton-picking-. Click on a story and it takes me to the .com domain! Boo...

Anonymous Coward

Keep .co.uk

Another Canuck here. I am with the majority.

I have been a reader since long before the .com version,and feel comfort in typing in the .co.uk English addy.

It is important

It is important and it does matter. I think co.uk domains are more trustable than any other and I believe it makes good sense for the register to display its origins. This from a man lumbered with a .biz domain. I spend a fair portion of my time tweaking spam filters for small businesses. I regularly block .cz, .ru, .ng etc. So I for one would be happy for teh register to remain .co.uk.

Just one site: www.theregister.co.uk

Please just have one site: www.theregister.co.uk.

I think the real problem here is your decision to have multiple sites. A few days ago I clicked on a link from the main page and got a 404 -- it turned out the link pointed to www.theregister.co.uk, but the article was actually on www.regdeveloper.co.uk. As a second data point, it seems clear from the comments that not everyone knows that www.theregister.com and www.theregister.co.uk have different content. If you want subsites, either use cookies, or make the links hackable: www.theregister.co.uk/us/, www.theregister.co.uk/developer/, etc.

Long time reader from South Africa

Anonymous Coward

Keep the co.uk

Stop it, it's not natural!

Anonymous Coward

Leave as is please!

It's a great site. I love it. A NYC comp expert friend reads it daily. Fab humour - don't change a thing.

Anonymous Coward

Keep theregister.co.uk!!!!!

What's next - a theregister.com.au for all us Aussies with a compulsive reflex to add .au to each URL? I don't expect it and I don't want it.

There are enough bloody US-centric sites around without a perfectly good UK site paying lipservice to their sensitivities.

Keep theregister.co.uk

Anonymous Coward

Title

.co.uk, why change it.

God Save The Queen

Stay British, it's important to remind our American colleagues that there are one or two countries outside of their own

Anonymous Coward

theregister.co.uk

If an American can't type in anything other than .com and can't figure out how to use Google to get to the site then they are unworthy of the BOFH and other Reg greatness. Hell, I'm American and I've figured it out.

Anonymous Coward

An air of unbiased BBC-ishness

.co.uk lends an air of credibility-by-association. Over here we look to the east side of the pond for reportage that's not quite as parochial as it is in the US. If you went .com you'd become Just Another Voice (yawn).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017