back to article So what's in a URL? The Reg URL?

The Register started out as a UK operation with a UK addressed web site, but accidentally and against our expectations became a pretty successful international operation. In deference to marketing we should point out that in recent years the international success has been both planned and deliberate, but that certainly isn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

BBC

hehe I just entered www.bbc.com and it popped up with...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/?ok

I like that, you should do that to.

dis-appointed you even asked! UK all the way

What happened to the reg? You haven't hired some sort of marketing team have you? Cos i'm with Bill Hicks on that topic, they are all evil! (just like your Logowatch feature suggests)

I also CAN'T BELIEVE you suggested that this would reduce your management overhead either. Are you some sort of noob that does any of this stuff manually? If you had a properly scripted system to run the lot it would surely be a one off cost?

You really have dis-appointed me with this amatuer approach to a simple issue that many hobyists have solved by them selves years ago. Surely behind the scenes there is nothing more than some templates, database of articles with atributes which shows on which template on which domain?

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Best of both worlds

Can't you alias both names to same site so that the name would make no difference? Then you could register theregister.net and some others too and have a really wide presence, theregister-wise.

I don't mean a simple site forward but true aliasing of the same content to different domains, this should be doable. Or just having two different frontend websites with same layouts pulling content from the same backend database.

Or simply revising the way you update your content and have it saved into two sites instead of just one.

Automate, that's what computers are for!

Has to be .co.uk

The Register is a uk news site. It may serve the whole world via the internet, but that is no reason to give the site an American address (even if a lot of the world doesn't know any better).

Keep British spelling! PLEASE!

Having us.theregister.co.uk sounds fine to me - perhaps it would make other companies think about their address (yes, I know it's not likely!).

Anonymous Coward

Leave it at is.

The brief attempt at a us-only brand failed a few years back as I recall. Even when it was available, I preferred the .co.uk version.

Don't screw with success -- remember "New Coke"

Something to lose (but only a little)

IMHO, el reg would lose a little something if it dropped the .co.uk. And that would be a shame.

Keep it as it please

Its your name, and its just fine the way it is.

Just like Post boxes should be red, and that you should be able to still sleep in Phone Boxes if caught without your keys on a drunken evening thats a British thing and should be retained!

theregister.co.uk all the way ;O)

Put me in for 'co.uk'

Yeah, I know that people mindlessly type .com. Hell, I do. Mind you, that's probably not the best statistical sampling. No matter...

The point has been well-made that, by reinforcing The Register's Britishness, people get a heads-up that British expressions and humour are going to be here, so brace yourselves! Even though I'm a Canuck, I've still had to look up a few Reg terms, but that's a small price to pay for the unique perspective with which The Reg blesses us.

I'm not real fond of my name. Sure, I could change it, but it is who people know me as, and it is a part of me. In the immortal words of Popeye, "I yam what I yam..."

Anonymous Coward

Stick with .co.uk

I would definately prefer that you stick with .co.uk, although I have to confess that I find it hard to justify why...

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk for me

.co.uk for me

Its a conspricy - I see the black helicopters circling ...

Is this just another US conspiracy to get rid of the letter U from everyday use.

(but of course that would result in a new .co.k domain which looks a bit too rude!)

Keep .co.uk and be proud of your letter U !

A cut above the rest

I would never have started reading the Reg if it had a .com as I would have assumed another bland US pseudo-news publication regurgitating manufacturers blurb as real news.

.co.uk isn't an absolute indicator of anything but .com is almost guaranteed to be focused on sales.

Anonymous Coward

Branding Kerfuffle's

What is it with brands this week? First the olympic debarcle, then you lot...

Sheesh!

Anonymous Coward

leave it be

As a faithful US reader, I tried the .com version when you first fired it up a few years ago. Frankly, I thought the US-specific articles were, well, boring. I switched back to the .co.uk version and never looked back. I join the majority of the comment=posters and say leave it well enough alone. Heck, it even makes me feel more l33t when I bring it up in front of other people. Guess that's kindof sad, really...

.co.uk

innit. Or are you suffering burger envy?

Anonymous Coward

Adding my £0.0100903

The Register is a British publication that just happens to have a global readership. Keep the .co.uk, I'd be sad to see it change.

Oh, and keep to british spelling... I'm still contemplating sueing microsoft for the spelling of colour in QBasic... took me ages to relearn the correct spelling of colour.

(I'm dyslexic and find remembering programming keywords easyer than words to go in a sentence)

.co.uk

definitely go for the .co.uk but redirect the .com

I have always been confused about what the difference is between the .com and .co.uk sites was so it might be worth clarifying if there is any difference between the content. (I also had issues understanding why channelregister.com has such a different look about it & if I should be reading it as well or if all the stories appear on the main reg page.).

phuchem

Can you imagine what BOFH would say......

.com? fuck off!

.co.uk

Stick with .co.uk - vive le difference

Anonymous Coward

Actually you've got no choice

It has to be .co.uk, because anything else means you can't refer to "us" and "them" anymore.

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk

Keep it as .co.uk i recon. Keep it british. .com does seem more american, despite it being a 'global' domain

Anonymous Coward

.co.uk all the way

.co.uk

The Reg is funny, irreverent, teasing, hilarious... and inherently british, from the puns to the jokes to the content.

I know that IT is really international, but in this case The Reg truly has a passport from Her Majesty's Service. Don't ditch it. It worked for Bond, dinnit?

Anonymous Coward

Title

You're a British firm offering an international service. There is no truly international domain suffix, whereas there is a truly British one. So use it!

Anonymous Coward

From the US

Been reading the site for years - keep the co.uk - it's just wouldn't be the same!

Anonymous Coward

Leave it

At times it exhibits a dry sense of humour and irony that seems uniquely British. I dont think the rest of the world would really care which you chose, but a number of Brits would object to it being .com.

So on balance - leave it at .co.uk

Anonymous Coward

Do whatever earns you more money

Because in the end no-one will really care. Simple forwarding .co.uk to .com will ensure no-one suffers any inconvenience

Anonymous Coward

Change it to theinquirer.net

Just joking

Anonymous Coward

Strategy Boutique?

(cups ear)

Can anyone else hear whalesong?

But seriously, its awfully nice of you chaps to be garnering public opinion in this way.

If only LOCOG had done the same for the 2012 abomination.

Hugs,

JC.

God Save All Your Queens Are Belong To Us!

Somebody should send your bloody 'internationale' marketing department up the bomb!

Next thing you know we'll be reading about a tech company going out of "business" instead of going titsup!

Bullocks!

This Texan prefers that you stay as British in URL as you are in attitude.

leave it....

Why change it? It works fine the way it is.

If it must be changed, I'd be looking at redirecting everything to www.theregister.co.uk. You're a UK based operation, which is part of your USP. Be proud of that.

If you change it to uk.theregister.com, then you're almost hiding that USP. A mistake, I think

Keep the .co.uk you're not just another .com

As a UK Citizen, I'm proud that the register is British. You should keep the .co.uk, your British heritage is surely one of the foundations of the unique Register editorial style.

Anonymous Coward

USA user : loves the .co.uk

I've been visiting ElReg for years now, first was hooked on the BoFH series, but now I depend on this site for tech news and other fun bits that make my day bearable at work.

Anonymous Coward

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be. Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

This is one of the finest and funniest IT publications around and provides a refreshing non-U.S. centric POV. Please maintain your identity.

Dom

Not Invented Here syndrome

Joel Spolsky said "that American businesses had NO problem dealing with British providers" did he? Well that's cobblers. In fact a number of British high-tech companies have ended up establishing a "Global Headquarters" somewhere in the US, whilst all the R&D and 90% of everything else goes on in the UK, so that they can overcome NIH syndrome.

Oh, and keep it .co.uk.

Anonymous Coward

co.uk....definately co.uk...

I have always preferred locational domain names; it puts things into context. You present tech news from a uniquely British perspective, and without the .co.uk, it may be confusing to some of the...lesser intellectuals with whom I associate.

I have occasionally sent links to some of my friends, who were confused by the use of slang, or by the fact that the US was presented in third person (aren't all web sites in the US? after all everyone else is just an underdeveloped country, right?). I have been able to clear up their confusion just by pointing out the URL.

"See, no, it's from the UK....yes, the UK has internet....Yes, the UK has computers..."

Honestly, it's enough to get me depressed...

Anonymous Coward

co.uk

It's a UK web site. It should have a .co.uk URL.

Anonymous Coward

Have you put this through the Harding FPA test?

Whooooooooow!!!!!

Have you put the text 'theregister.com' through the Harding FPA epilepsy machine test?

It is triggering all sorts, best stay with .co.uk.

Anonymous Coward

.COM

.COM for 2 reasons:

.COM is seen as international, not just American. The sun never sets on .COM

.COM is 2 letters shorter, you could save hundreds of bytes of disk space by going .com

:-)

Anonymous Coward

co.uk

Do you trust ICAAN and their cousin from the netherworld Verisign? I don't; neither should you. And I am an American.

The ambiance is better drinking a pint while reading theregister.co.uk

Anonymous Coward

Really now...

Seriously, noone cares. You're not channel four, don't be worried about offending anyone.

What's the issue?

Not too sure why you're agonising (with an 's') over this one. For a start, why does .com become, de facto, from the USA? But more importantly, the .co.uk signifies where you come from, not necessarily the target audience you seek. Of course, if you want to bow down to the pressures of pleasing any narrow-minded reader from the States who will only read it "coz it's home-grown" (1. do you really want to pander to these when there are so many who are rational and open minded and 2. we're back to the .com == USA argument above). Get over your vanity, get over the identity pressures, take pride in your heritage and go forward as you are, not how you think you ought to be in other people's eyes.

Silver badge

Show where you're comming from

it gives an international flavour.

Besides... dot com is for sissies.

All Aboard the Boffin Express.

el reg is a British site, British humour, british spelling (or it damn well ought to be), british sniping at politics rather than fawning over US assholes in the white house.

Besides which the BOFH is london based... if you shift to .com he's going to have to blow up most of homeland security in order to manage to smuggle his loot into the states for his new job, (hmm...now that sounds good, bunch of paranoid officious airport assholes), and probably end up hacking the budweiser factory computer controlled brewing system to get a good lager.

theregister[Ctrl][Enter].

.com would make my life easier: not when I'm using my own pc, but I would be happier on any other machine... And who cares about the UK angle anyway? (As long as you keep the British humour...)

:)

Fabrizio

.co.uk or the puppy gets it.

dEaR tHeReGistER !

i h4Ve kiDnappED a11 oV yR p3tS, bWaHAHAHAHaaaHHA !

iF yoU iS nOt r3ta4inG teh .co.uk d0m41N, THE PUPPIES WILL DIE!!!!!!!!

a1s0, i wi11 be to DoS yR 3VIL .com SICKNESS w1v mY b4d4ss KiLLer 4rmY of z0mBieeeez!!!!!

pH34R!

mmmmmmm ... puppies

Re: By Steve ".co.uk or the puppy gets it."

Posted Friday 8th June 2007 10:07 GMT

Are the puppies in a nice black-bean sauce?

Its late, dinner's on my mind...

For the rest, my opinion was best put by the person who wrote -

"The Register is a British publication that just happens to have a global readership."

Anonymous Coward

bloodyamericans.theregister.co.uk

Why tamper with perfection?

uk is good to me

Whether "uk" or "com", as long as the vulture flies high I don't care where my news is coming from...

sas

.co.uk

Another me too! I wasn't going to bother posting since I agree with nearly everyone else in voting for .co.uk, but decided to just in case you do a Blair.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017