back to article Weird flex but OK... Motorola's comeback is a $1,500 Razr flip-phone with folding 6.2" screen

At a pseudo-rave slash launch party in Los Angeles on Wednesday night, Motorola revealed the 2019 Razr, an update on a flip phone that wowed people 15 years ago. Today, perhaps... not so much. Back in the old days, the Razr was the consummate flip phone – a well-engineered piece of kit that took design cues from the StarTAC …

Page:

1. getHandle

Want one

Won't buy one - too expensive at half the price! Still want one though...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Want one

The good news is that in a few years this is what we who slum around the mid-to-budget range will be getting.

( Although I'm still waiting on the Moto G?+ range to get wireless charging )

1. batfink

Agreed @Disgusted. I'd happily go back to the Motorola flip-phones, but am happy to wait a couple of years while the price drops to "more humanly affordable".

2. Captain Scarlet

I thought the whole point of the G range was you get a basic phone with bits you need, do you really need wireless charging?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The G range isn't as simple as that, there's the G7 Play ( cheap ), G7 ( normal ) G7+ ( nicer ) although they're all budget-mid.

The G7+ ( not sure about the Play or the G7 ) comes with NFC and a rear fingerprint scanner, a massive screen, decent performance.

I don't know anything about the G8 except that it doesn't have wireless charging as I'm not in the market for a new phone for another year, but I wanted to know that.

1. Captain Scarlet

Oh yeah sorry I am thinking back to the G3, I had a G3 and now have a G7 Power, so actually yes I should expect the high end model to have wireless charging.

2. Warm Braw

too expensive at half the price

The conundrum about folding phones is that you could get half the phone for considerably less than half the price.

3. Steve Button Silver badge

I want one too. But it's too expensive, so I'll probably get something better value (Pixel?). However, I predict that these will sell like hot cakes (assuming they don't have major reliability issues like Samsung did).

People (particularly millennials or hipsters) want something a bit different to the ubiquitous "slab" which all smart phones look like today. And it flips.

Just my prediction, let's see what happens next year when they are actually available.

4. tmTM

Looks cool, but it ends there.

Unfolded the screen isn't massive, plenty of non-folding phones are just as big.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Feels like you're missing the point, and target market, of this phone.

It gives you the size of regular slab when open, with the portability and pocketability of a device half the size when closed.

1. John 104

But my mobile phone is already portable...

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Indeed. Mine fits in my pocket just fine. I'm not seeing the advantage here.

Back in the day when decent ones were available on the gray market, I did prefer slider phones - but that was because they offered full mechanical keyboards.

A folding touchscreen is about as appealing to me as, say, edible furniture: it's not that I can't imagine use cases, it's just that they're extremely implausible, of very small incremental value, and likely to have bad failure modes.

I don't see this doing well. As a novelty, it's far too expensive, even if it proves reliable. Yes, there are some people willing to spend stupid amounts of money on a phone, but that market is limited. Making it a Verizon exclusive in the US won't help with that. On the other hand, it's not exclusive enough to be a Veblen good. It's conceivable some tastemaker will get it to go mainstream but I wouldn't bet on it.

2. DropBear

But I can already buy a regular slab, and I'm not interested. I want a regular slab that I can open to TWO regular slab size, or else what's the point...

1. Trixr

...and you don't think that a mega-slab won't be one of the offerings in this kind of product line in due course?

I mean, as a manufacturer, you'd be pretty stupid making your first release a huge piece of kit that already has somwhat less of a customer base and significantly more hardware expense.

I want a folding tablet too one day, but this looks like a good start.

3. Shez

Half the size, but twice the thickness

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

"Half the size, but twice the thickness"

I'm good with that. Much better for the pocket.

Not for my pockets, all of which are certainly broad and tall enough to accommodate any phone I've ever had. What's the advantage in having the phone project further from the body when it's pocketed?

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Coming in 2021: Motorola's Perfectly Spherical Phone.

That, at least, has the advantage of being more amenable to thought experiments.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Could become a prison hit too, on account of fewer snaggable corners..

/me walking away singing "Under pressure" by David Bowie..

2. Richard Jones 1
    WTF?

At £150 perhaps I would consider it, at £1,500 for 'just a mobile', no thank you. I guess I am just not in the target demographic since I am a very marginal user of even my present three-year old Motorola device.

1. Steve Button Silver badge

What's your point? I assume you go onto Koenigsegg reviews and go saying "2 million quid for one of those? If it was 15 grand I might perhaps consider it. It's just a car. "

Why even bother reading the review (price was in the headline), as you knew straight away that you are in the budget category. Nothing wrong with that, it's your choice.

Do you walk into a Ferrari showroom and carefully explain to them that your 8 year old Ford is good enough for you?

1. Richard Jones 1
        Happy

@Steve Button

The point of advertising is to sell or upsell an item. The point of revues is to clarify and amplify the advantages or disadvantages of a new item. This Reg revue achieved its aims of clarifying and amplifying the advantages to my satisfaction so well done The Reg. However, the presentation was not enough to overcome the prices disadvantage. As for the car showroom reference, since showrooms are few and far between and since both family cars have done well under 6000 miles, my need to visit car sales points is not so clear. This may not stop me from reading a car revue, though perhaps not of a Ferrari or similar, where both my wife and I would face access issues and for us, reliability counts for far more than image.

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Re: @Steve Button

Don't feed the trolls. ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Steve Button

This Reg revue achieved its aims

Look, I know the El Reg hacks should try to keep us commentards somewhat entertained, but I think expecting them to start a song and dance routine interspersed with a few dodgy jokes is a little unfair...

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Koenigsegg

What's your point? I assume you go onto Koenigsegg reviews and go saying "2 million quid for one of those? If it was 15 grand I might perhaps consider it. It's just a car. "

Buy a £2million Koenigsegg (assuming I could pronounce it to be able to ask the salesman for one), and in a couple of years time I'd still have a supercar worth £1.n million. Some depreciation, but that's the cost of ownig a big boy's toy.

Buy a £1200 mobile phone and in a couple of years time I'd have a worthless lump of disposable consumer tech. Total depreciation, the price of being a sucker for the latest shiny thing on the market.

1. Matt 13
          Flame

Re: Koenigsegg

If I spent £2million on a koenigsegg I fully expect the phone to be worth more in 2 years time!! probably sooner!!!!

2. DiViDeD

Koenigsegg (assuming I could pronounce it

As Top Gear have already proven, the trick is not in knowing how to pronounce Koenigsegg, but in learning when it's time to stop pronouncing it.

It's the "banana" of auto marques.

3. Matthew Taylor

The all new Motorola Veblen

It's ok to be taken aback by a preposterously high price, especially when the phone's namesake wasn't priced so highly (in relative terms).

1. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Re: The all new Motorola Veblen

"It's ok to be taken aback by a preposterously high price, especially when the phone's namesake wasn't priced so highly (in relative terms)."

I agree the price is preposterous, and I am in fact taken aback. But actually, when the Razr came out in the US, it initially was something ridiculous like $700. That cash for (other than looking cool) was a typical "dumb phone" (although with good reception)... camera, texting, calls, that's it. My mom wanted one bad; she checked in a few months, $400 or something; a few more months, $250. Basically about 10 months after it was $700, it was like $90, the store was already wanting to clear the remaining ones out to make room for the new phones.

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"What's your point? I assume you go onto Koenigsegg reviews and go saying "2 million quid for one of those? If it was 15 grand I might perhaps consider it. It's just a car. ""

Yeah but the Koenigsegg is a nice supercar; it's appearance will stand out, it's faster, handles better, brakes harder than pretty much any other car. This is a phone that folds in half, with no outstanding specs other than the folding in half, that Motorola is having a go at pricing way up. I don't blame them for doing it, if people buy a phone as soon as it comes out at any price, go for it. But it's fair to call them out for the price.

3. hammarbtyp

My wife was seriously wedded to her Razr, refusing for may year my entreaties to get a smart phone, and as a piece of design it was hard to beet, from the lazer cut keypad to the display panel on the outside. I still believe that if it had a continouos upgrade program (better screen, camera and processor) it would have a niche today

Not sure about this one. I like the outside notification screen, but the folding screen seems like an overkill where two screens would of been easier and more flexible (sic). And the price....

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Symon - The Reg's domain suffix dictates that it's actually spelt "laser".

Additionally, "should of" rather than "should have" is incorrect regardless of your preferred English language variant.

Hugs xx

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"FFS., has everyone's sarcasm meter broken this morning?" - @Symon

No ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"This [original] post has been deleted by its author "

Looks like Symon is as broken as our sarcasm meters supposedly were this morning.

Peace and love to you Symon xx

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

FFS., has everyone's sarcasm meter broken this morning?

Sarcasm should be measured in inches. $1,500 for a phone though. The world's gorn mad!

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

>"$1,500 for a phone though. The world's gorn mad!"

My 1989 Motorola MicroTAC folding phone was $2,500. In current dollars that would be even more silly. That was back when most cell phones were bolted to cars and my company would foot the bill.

2. Alister
          Headmaster

@xpz393

The Reg's domain suffix dictates that it's actually spelt "laser"

Irrespective of where you are in the world, laser is the only correct spelling.

It is an acronym of the following phrase:

Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation

There is nowhere in the world where stimulation is spelled with a Z

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> There is nowhere in the world where stimulation is spelled with a Z

My husband manages it with a zzzzz.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

But the sweatiness is part of the fun, non?

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

There is nowhere in the world where stimulation is spelled with a Z

I'm willing to bet I could find a US WWII-era comic book that would contradict that assertion. "Vhen ze machine ztimulates ze gem, all in range vill be destroyed! Ze Allies vill never know vhat hit zem!"

2. Jedit Silver badge
        Trollface

"You should of installed a grammar checker"

Yes, he should have.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

as a piece of design it was hard to beet

Yes, but what sort of beet? White or Red? Perhaps there are Black beets now? :-)

1. MiguelC Silver badge
        Coat

Re: as a piece of design it was hard to beet

Maybe it'll come with Beets by Gardner Dre?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@MiguelC "Maybe it'll come with Beets by Gardner Dre?"

I give you one upvote, only because I can't give five :-)

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
          Coffee/keyboard

Thanks for that! Good thing my keyboard is spill-proof.

2. J. Cook Silver badge

... I think that black-colored beets would be Bad Beets.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like