back to article London's Metropolitan Police arrest Julian Assange

Julian Assange has been arrested by London cops at the Ecuadorian Embassy after the nation revoked the asylum it had given him for nearly seven years. BREAKING: #Assange removed from embassy - video pic.twitter.com/qsHy7ZVPg5 — Ruptly (@Ruptly) April 11, 2019 The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) issued a statement this …

Page:

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
    Holmes

final straw?

Looks like he's peed off the Ecuadorian gov. once too often.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: final straw?

there is certainly a lot more to this story than the first bunch of El'reg commentards have mentioned, either deliberately, or accidentally lightweight in world news 'actuality'

I suggest you all do some more reading, unless you are offical typists just doing your job, in which case "well done men, now he can go and get Trumped!"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/us/politics/julian-assange-indictment-wikileaks.html

1. phuzz Silver badge
        Facepalm

First the US have to get their hands on him, and once the Met are finished with him for bail jumping, it looks like he's off to Sweden to face his original charges. He's less likely to get extradited to the US from Sweden than he is from the UK.

Hopefully the Swedes just ship him back to Australia where he can live in ignominy (and maybe pay some child support). He'd hate it much more if it turned out the world doesn't actually give a shit about him.

"there is certainly a lot more to this story than the first bunch of El'reg commentards have mentioned, either deliberately, or accidentally lightweight in world news 'actuality'"

I see everyone who disagrees with me as either a government stooge or an imbecile as well, it's always a good way to have a calm discussion.

1. BebopWeBop
          Thumb Down

While I agree that he should be jailed and then sent back to Oz (if the Swedes don't want him) I don't consider anyone who disagrees with me as either a government stooge or an imbecile. Glass houses and all that.....

1. Alister

@BebopWeBop

WHOOOOOOSH!

phuzz was being sarcastic.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Misdirected whoosh? I think it was BeBopWeBop who was being sarcastic. But you know what they say about sarcasm on the Net...

1. Alister

Misdirected whoosh?

Nope. phuzz was being sarcastic at the AC's remarks, but BebopWeBop took phuzz's comments at face value, as did you, it appears.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You know what they say about sarcasm on the Net....

1. Geoffrey W

How do you know that what is being said about sarcasm on the internet isn't more sarcasm?

1. phuzz Silver badge

I can confirm that what was said about me being sarcastic, was not in itself sarcasm, and was correct in assuming that I was being sarcastic.

I hope that's clear ;)

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

We're approaching a Poe's Law stack overflow here.

2. BigSLitleP

I think that last bit was a sarcy comment aimed at the AC, who seem to have their head shoved somewhere south of the equator.

3. Jason Hindle

Re: final straw? Back to Oz?

"While I agree that he should be jailed and then sent back to Oz (if the Swedes don't want him) "

I think they'd rather take ROFL back.

1. Teiwaz

I think they'd rather take ROFL back.

Rolling on the Floor Laughing???

or did you mean R. "Plaster of Paris"???

I still enjoy the Goodies Scatty Safari

2. macjules

Nah, let’s try the good old William Wallace method:

Executioner: ‘Ullo Mr Assange I’ve been asked to send bits of you to America, Sweden, UK and Australia. After we’ve hanged, drawn and quartered you, which bit do you want sent where?

4. Bruce Ordway

>> ... either a government stooge or an imbecile.

Also my first impulse when someone disagrees with me.

Unfortunately I can be wrong as often as not.

As far as Mr. Assange, I just don't know what to believe. At one extreme I have the image of an essential whistle-blower who has had his character assassinated. Detractors would have me believe in a boorish, entitled, narcissistic, borderline psychopath who simply enjoys causing trouble for others?

I doubt we'll ever know the truth in my lifetime.

One thing I feel sure of is that Julian Assange in no Abbie Hoffman.

I really wonder how the Merry Pranksters might have run a Wikileaks.

Even though they were troublemaker who enjoyed tormenting the US government, I thought there was something to admire in their humor.

1. File Not Found

Have a look at Andrew O’Hagan’s piece in the London Review of Books, March 2014 - comprehensive and revealing and definitive.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

As far as Mr. Assange, I just don't know what to believe. At one extreme I have the image of an essential whistle-blower who has had his character assassinated. Detractors would have me believe in a boorish, entitled, narcissistic, borderline psychopath who simply enjoys causing trouble for others?

No reason it can't be both.

Personally, I think it's pretty clear that Assange is at the very least an egotistical self-promoter. He's also assisted - at least as a figurehead for the real workers to rally around - in some very important whistle-blowing, though many of his most ardent supporters like to ignore the many others who've done that work for decades (e.g. Cryptome1).

I wouldn't be surprised if the sexual-assault charges are true. I wouldn't be surprised if they were concocted by his enemies. I'd be rather surprised to ever see any definitive evidence one way or the other.

1Of course, Cryptome is also a testament to the fact that these whistle-blowing sites generally aren't run by the warmest and fuzziest of folks, as many who've conversed with John Young can attest.

1. _Cryptome_

Attested.

2. Trenjeska

Sweden dropped those charges

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Sweden dropped those charges

Tenjeska,

Nope. They didn't.

Firstly because they never charged him. Apparently Swedish law requires a pre-charge interview - and he left/fled the country the evening his lawyer informed him that that interview was booked for the next morning.

And secondly, they haven't dropped the case. But the Swedish Prosecutor lost a case in their supreme court for continuing to pursue Assange when there was no realistic chance of getting anywhere - as he was hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy. They can re-start that any time.

The handful of less serious charges expired a few years ago - statute of limitations being 5 years. The 2 rape charges time out after ten years, in 2020 as the article says.

2. hittitezombie

Nope, they haven't, they have until 2020 to unfreeze the charges.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

According to reports, the UK government has just confirmed he has been re-arrested following an extradition request from the US.

The Swedes are still deciding what to do.

1. JetSetJim
            1. Sir Runcible Spoon

That didn't take them long did it?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Not bad for this early in the morning (over there) you'd be forgiven for thinking they had a tip off before the whole show hit the road.

8O)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

How about a month's notice?..

https://www.mintpressnews.com/ecuadors-cooperation-bought-imf-loans-washington-waxes-optimistic-assange-extradition/255942/

and this on the 21st Feb..

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Ecuador-IMF-Loan-Yet-to-Be-Granted-Austerity-Measures-a-Condition-for-Agreement-20190221-0009.html

Some additional background info in this article from yesterday on mintpress (that looks like a good site)..

https://www.mintpressnews.com/julian-assange-ecuador-extradition-noose-tightens-with-ina-papers-as-latest-slipknot/257175/

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Seriously? You're passing off mintpressnews.com as an objective news site?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
                      Paris Hilton

Am I? I just found it and was interested that they ran these articles a month or two ago and seemed to be right on the money. As I said, worth looking at.

Do you have a better suggestion?

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

The camera crews have been there since Saturday. I have visited a client in the area over the past week and a bit and seen them. I think it was on Twitter on Friday night that he was likely to get the boot soon. Who tweeted it though I sadly don't remember.

2. Likkie

Which shows that the USA could have simply sought to extradite him from the UK all along and that he actually jumped bail to avoid questioning in Sweden over sexual misconduct allegations. Whilst trying to fool the "world" that Sweden would somehow funnel him away to Uncle Sam, in a barrel of pickled herring now doubt. Red Herring more like!

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

"He'd hate it much more if it turned out the world doesn't actually give a shit about him."

Yeah, he's a bit like Kevin Mitnick huh? (not in the detail, but to some extent, in the public image 'things')

In truth, having Assange 'available' for extradition to the USA might play out well (for him AND the rest of the world) with respect to D&CDNC e-mails leaked in 2016. Hannity did an interview with Assange a while back regarding this specific thing. And now that "certain investigations" are complete, it's time to open a few *NEW* ones, and Assange COULD be a key witness...

Aside from that, the Manning releases probably weren't a crime so long as Assange was only involved in their release to the world. If he had attempted to influence Manning to break the law, it'd be conspiracy of something-or-other. Most likely the DOJ would grant him immunity to get more information regarding the DNC e-mails, something that is likely to become very important over the next year.

I smell some behind-the-scenes activity. This timing is _very_ suspicious! [then again it's probably best for all concerned at this point, especially the Ecuadorians not having to put up with him any more]

1. veti Silver badge

If Assange suborned or conspired with Manning to get the leaks, then he's in trouble, yes. If not, then the US will never get him, because they'd have to show some such evidence to a UK court in order to extradite him.

(Discounting of course the possibility that the allegations relate to some other episode, such as the DNC hack.)

As for the timing - can you think of a time when it wouldn't have been "very suspicious"?

1. SundogUK Silver badge

I believe there is pretty clear evidence Assange discussed the leak with Manning before it occurred. Ipso facto, there is a case to be answered.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Hannity did an interview" - that's a first ;-)

5. Sanctimonious Prick
          Thumb Down

@phuzz

Yeah, go ahead and call people names, mate. Shows your intelligence.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

*wooosh*

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I suggest you all do some more reading, unless you are offical typists just doing your job, in which case "well done men, now he can go and get Trumped!"

And in what way does any of this change my oft-expressed opinion (including an earlier comment below) that by acting thoughtlessly he's put himself into a corner he can't get out of? He ran from Sweden. He jumped bail. He had cases to answer in both Sweden and the US neither of which were political and there was no indication at that point of any proceedings planned in the US. My view was that the then current US government would be smart enough to punish him by refusing to stroke his ego by pursuing him. An evolution of that position was that the current bull-in-a-china-shop administration would lack such finesse and that he'd missed his opportunity long ago. I find the report which you link verifies that view.

Good try at shilling, A/C, but you really need more cogent arguments if you come to this forum.

1. Ben Tasker

> My view was that the then current US government would be smart enough to punish him by refusing to stroke his ego by pursuing him. An evolution of that position was that the current bull-in-a-china-shop administration would lack such finesse and that he'd missed his opportunity long ago.

Exactly my take on it too.

The smart thing for the US to do, as soon as he ran to Ecuador's embassy was always to let him make all his noise about the US's conspiracy to get him, and then when he became available, do nothing. He'd perfectly discredit himself by looking like a paranoid lunatic.

But, he's holed himself up for a long time, and in the process supported the election of a new administration who simply aren't that smart (and care more about looking like hardliners).

This is a rod he's made for his own back. There's a very good chance if he'd just faced the Swedish charges he'd be out and free again by now, with the US having show no interest.

Instead, now he's the guy who had to be officially warned to tidy up his cat's litter and to wash himself, and now is being pursued by a nationalistic US administration that he helped put into power.

2. simonb_london

The housekeeper was Carole Bayer Sager and she even wrote a song about it.

2. hittitezombie

Good riddance, I hope the rapey bastard faces the music for what he's done to the ladies.

1. GreggS

He won't. That case has been dropped. He's been arrested for failing to surrender to the court, whilst that charge was still active. A separate offence.

1. Aladdin Sane

The charge hasn't been dropped, merely put on ice until the pastey sod came out of his den.

1. Ian Michael Gumby
          Boffin

Only one charge remains...

Since he was never charged, he outlasted two of the charges due to statute of limitations.

IIRC there is one charge left.

Will Sweden still want him? Maybe.

He still faces charges in Britain for jumping bail.

And if the US wants to extradite him... it would be very interesting.

Assange could fight it, but he would have to stay in a UK jail while he appeals the charges. (Like they're going to give him bail after the last time...)

Or he goes back to Australia. Because he jumped bail and caused a bit of a political mess costing millions in overtime for the plod, they can send him there w guards and probably in cuffs.

There the US would have an easier time extraditing him if they want him.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Devil

Re: Only one charge remains...

"Because he jumped bail and caused a bit of a political mess costing millions in overtime for the plod, they can send him there w guards and probably in cuffs."

Easier for UK to wash their hands of him. agreed.

1. the Jim bloke
              Joke

Hey Bob, Random acts of capitalization dont count if they are supposed to be there, or is there a problem with your capslock key today ?

2. Scorchio!!

Ah there you are Sir Gumby, good to see you, I thought I'd find you here. Now the little freak is set to pay for its misdeeds, eh?

A friend of mine commented that his condition was reminiscent of Saddam when he was wrested from his hidey hole, whilst others have said he resembles a character from the BBC show Only fools and horses.

Whatever, these are interesting times; prime ministers who cannot be taken seriously, people who ought not to be taken seriously... ...taken seriously. (boggle)

1. Ian Michael Gumby
              Boffin

@Scorchio!! Re: Only one charge remains...

Now there's a name from the past.

Yes, looks like he's going to get his just dessert. Finally.

After I wrote the stuff this morning I heard that the US did finally unseal the Grand Jury indictment. It was as I suspected. They have evidence that he assisted in the theft

If true, he's facing 5-15 years. No death penalty.

He's going to rot in the UK while they sort things out.

2. Mark 85
              Black Helicopters

A friend of mine commented that his condition was reminiscent of Saddam when he was wrested from his hidey hole, whilst others have said he resembles a character from the BBC show Only fools and horses.

So will he suddenly "die" from some condition while in custody? And in reality be whisked away to some place.... dungeon perhaps?

2. jmch Silver badge

"He won't. That case has been dropped. "

RTFA. That case was just suspended, but statute of limitations runs till next year and it seems like the Swedish prosecutors intend to pick up again where thy left off.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like