back to article One click and you're out: UK makes it an offence to view terrorist propaganda even once

It will be an offence to view terrorist material online just once – and could incur a prison sentence of up to 15 years – under new UK laws. The Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Bill was granted Royal Assent yesterday, updating a previous Act and bringing new powers to law enforcement to tackle terrorism. But a …

Page:

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Goodbye Youtube?

There's quite a lot of stuff on Youtube that's legal to view in the US but would fall into this hole in the UK - I will not go into the details to avoid incriminating anyone who reads this comment.

1. Halfmad

Re: Goodbye Youtube?

I also suspect what constitutes terrorist propaganda isn't set in stone and will change over time, let's hope they don't run retrospective reports then eh?

1. tiggity Silver badge

@Halfmad

Indeed

Tories lauding Mandela these days, whereas back in the day they were calling him a terrorist and giving huge support to the white South Africa regime.

I remember (many years ago) being filmed by Special branch at a UK anti apartheid demo where some white SA govt representatives were present

1. msknight

Oh well. There goes my plan of shopping on-line for a new garden axe at Homebase then.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist - and Mandela (either of them) couildn't be described as whiter than white....

Yes, I know ;-)

3. RobHib

The hypocrisy of lauding Mandela's terrorism these days shows up how truly farcical our systems of government (not to mention 'political speak') have become. That Mandela was a terrorist is indisputable even though his reasons were very laudable. The same type of doublespeak occurred over China when it was accepted into the world's trading system. Justifying that a 'wrong' is actually acceptable in certain circumstances by hiding the fact under a carpet is totally unacceptable as, amongst other things, it belies the true politics of the situation.

If these people genuinely hold such contradictory beliefs without seemingly any question (which I strongly suspect), then it show us how fundamentally vulnerable our governance is.

Funny isn't it that governments and bureaucrats who are in power today never seem to consider that the power they wield has its roots in terrorism. For instance, the established governments of the day would have considered their opponents (who were ultimately the winners), in the English Civil War*, the French Revolution and the American War of independence, as terrorists. (Whether they were freedom fighters or terrorists depends on which side of the fence one stands, and in almost every case, no side had or has a complete mandate with respect to virtue or what's right—grey is everywhere and that matters if one has the morals to think about it.)

I'm certainly not lauding revolution even if justifiable as means of achieving change as it's nearly always bloody and brutal but it raises the serious issue of how people achieve change when implacable governments and bureaucrats refuse to bend to the will of the people or to yield power (you only have to look at Venezuela today to see what I mean).

Unfortunately these days our so-called democratic governments are moving towards bureaucratic totalitarianism as a means of control rather than solving problems at the grass roots—just because it's hard doesn't mean the authoritarian option is acceptable.

* I'm aware this example needs expansion and justification but that's for another time.

1. LucreLout

Whether they were freedom fighters or terrorists depends on which side of the fence one stands

No it doesn't. That's just vintage lefty doublethink.

Freedom fighters target the state while terrorists target the civillians. Bombing civvies makes you a terrorist in every case no matter what your ideals or how deeply precious they may be to you.

1. jmch Silver badge
              Headmaster

"Freedom fighters target the state while terrorists target the civillians"

"the state" IS composed of civilians except for the tiny fraction of "the state" that is the military (or, I guess, this could be extended to police).

If a country's judiciary, legislature and (non-police/military) executive are a bunch of evil corrupt murderous bastards, and 'freedom fighter' action against them WILL be against civilians.

So I guess maybe rather then "civilians" you mean "ordinary citizens"

1. LucreLout

If a country's judiciary, legislature and (non-police/military) executive are a bunch of evil corrupt murderous bastards, and 'freedom fighter' action against them WILL be against civilians.

The military, civil defence (police, nhs, fire etc), judiciary, civil serve etc are all organs of the state. People on a bus are not. People in a shopping centre are not.

While there's no once size fits all definition, the whole "one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist" schtik is just lefty doublethink and lazy politicking, as opposed to a reasoned view.

1. macjules
                  Boffin

The military, civil defence (police, nhs, fire etc), judiciary, civil serve etc are all organs of the state. People on a bus are not. People in a shopping centre are not.

There are three 'estates' in the UK, Parliament, the Executive (Military, Civil service etc) and the Judiciary. All three account for a sizeable proportion of the UK population, so in one fell statement you are excluding around 10% of the UK (around 5.36m) from civilian status and seem to label them as "fair game". Sorry to say but this is the sort of babble that we might expect from the awful Rep. Peter T King, a man who once compared compared Gerry Adams, the leader of Sinn Féin (the political wing of the Irish republican terrorist movement) to George Washington and asserted that the "British government is a murder machine".

Signed:

A former "Organ of the State"

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

While there's no once size fits all definition, the whole "one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist" schtik is just lefty doublethink and lazy politicking, as opposed to a reasoned view.

Got it. It's fine to blow up a hospital, as long as only staff not patients are harmed.

3. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

NHS as an organ of the state?! Do you really think that we are justifiable targets given that we treat both the knobheads that believe that maiming and killing is justifiable alongside the victims? Really? Oh FFS!

4. Ian Johnston Silver badge

You agree, then, that the RAF pilots who dropped bombs on Serbian passenger trains and Iraqi weddings were terrorists?

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Quibbling over these distinctions is marginally relevant. Violence is violence, and however it is targeted, there will be collateral damage. We weigh this against our causes within the context of our own personal sense of justice. When a powerful nation punishes a civilian population with economic embargo we don't call it terrorism despite the inevitable death and destruction. We write definitions for our convenience.

Which raises the question: The earlier comment about Venezuela invites calls for clarification. What is the presumed people's will?

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

So we're quite clear that the United States is a terrorist government, since its armed forces have bombed civilians in Syria in an effort to overthrow the UN-recognised government?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Better not visit any U.S. government websites. And probably best not to travel to the U.S. lest you be seen as having gone in order to receive terrorist training. The idea that there is a clear and distinct difference between terrorism and anti-terrorism is the true myth. It seems to me that it is entirely a matter of perspective and perception - both of which are subject to frequent change over time.

3. Chris Parsons

Luckily the Résistance didn't think in the narrow way you do, eh?

4. Teiwaz

No it doesn't. That's just vintage lefty doublethink.

Not quite. Authorities have proved quite recently (not that this hasn't always gone on in diiferent labels, from traitor to heretic to blasphemer) with the lazy application of the term terrorist to new crimes or old that, even if an activist would avoid tactics that threaten life directly, they'd still be labelled terrorist in an attempt to colour public opinion in the favour of authority.

4. LucreLout

whereas back in the day they were calling him a terrorist

Well yes, because Mandela WAS a terrorist; he cofounded the MK FFS. They killed at least 130 people, most of whom were civillians, and most of whom were black! Whatever he became later in life he became after he was a terrorist.

This leftist revision of history in order to lionise those they adore is as demented as it is dangerous.

1. myithingwontcharge

You are confusing "terrorist" with "freedom fighter". I think that was the entire point.

5. grumpy-old-person

A little off-topic, it seems that it was fashionable to be anti-apartheid yet it is now the fashion to say nothing against what South Africa got in apartheid's place - a good example is the rolling blackouts this last week courtesy of the bankrupt state power corporation and the ANC "liberators" that has further damaged the ailing economy.

2. fidodogbreath

what constitutes terrorist propaganda isn't set in stone and will change over time

It's only a matter of time before the definition of terrorism becomes "anything in opposition to the policies of the current government."

This is a well-worn path in human history. The terminology changes, but the underlying concepts do not.

The state always seeks to protect itself from the governed; it's just a question of degree, and the amount of time it takes for that to become the state's primary operating goal.

1. Mark 85

It's only a matter of time before the definition of terrorism becomes "anything in opposition to the policies of the current government."

And that is the hallmark of a country going down the path to oppression of the people. Here in the US the free flow of news and information is part of our society and government but that's starting to change subtilely with the cry of "fake news".

Whatever happened to having an "informed" public? Censorship never works except to oppress those who seek knowledge about what is happening in the world, city, country, etc.

1984 is NOT an instruction manual as governments now believe.

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Except when the news actually is fake, you mean. The problem with US news is that a large majority of news organizations are owned by very few people, and these people have made slanting the news according to the owner's political views mandatory. Take Trump, for example. Say he is walking by an orphanage that catches fire. Trump throws caution to the wind and charges in, combover flapping in the breeze behind him, and starts pulling kids out. He manages to save 6 orphans out of 20 before the roof finally caves in and he can no longer enter. The US media's headline would read as "Trump Watches While 14 Orphans Burn" Somewhere in the story, back on page A12, they might mention "6 orphans manage to survive." Nowhere would it be mentioned that Trump had saved the 6. Now, let's replace Trump with, say, Elizabeth Warren. The headline would read "Warren A Hero, Saves Orphans From Burning Building." Somewhere on page A20 it would mention 14 died. Aside from that, the story would read how Warren saved each orphan by kicking in doors and barehandedly flinging burning debris aside while dragging unconscious orphans out, at times performing CPR to keep the little tykes alive. Same situation, far different interpretations.

There was a glorious time in the US where, had this happened, the story would have been a statement of the facts only, with the entire story reported, with only names and gender references (he,she) being different. I miss those days.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Uh... No.

Even I would have to (begrudgingly, admittedly,) applaud the man if he did in fact attempt to rescue people in a disaster situation. I don't believe he has it in him, the draft-dodging paranoid narcissistic coward; but if he DID... Then I'd have to stand up and applaud the effort, even if largely unsuccessful, to safeguard others in a disaster.

2. veti Silver badge

That's... simply not true. There are numerous examples of governments that have banned terrorism without the definition expanding in the way you say is inevitable, at least not in any timeframe that's visible yet.

The UK passed its first "prevention of terrorism" act in 1974, and yet somehow it's still legal to campaign and even protest against government policies.

1. TonyJ

That has been true but the more you start to dig into the workings of our governments over the last few years, the less it seems to hold up now.

We're had reports just on here on El Reg talking about closed court trials, businesses being compelled to provide information but not being able to tell anyone they're so compelled.

We've got new laws that allow for mass surveillance and monitoring and we are half a step away from a national firewall that would be the envy of China - all used under the "Terrorism, duh" or "Think of the children" monikers.

Here in the UK, I believe it's still true that there are more CCTV cameras per person than anywhere else.

When you're taking part in a march against, say, Brexit, then the government don't really care and it helps to give the impression that they support freedom of expression and democracy with one hand, whilst they're trying undermine it slyly with the other.

2. stiine Silver badge

Name one.

3. Teiwaz

The UK passed its first "prevention of terrorism" act in 1974, and yet somehow it's still legal to campaign and even protest against government policies.

Just don't try too close to the seat where it might inconvenience 'important people'

4. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

The longest journey begins with a single step. Sounds like the UK's journey towards totalitarianism might have begun in 1974. Just as it is impossible to see a person's destination from their journey's first step, the first laws to totalitarianism do not appear to be so.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'It's only a matter of time before the definition of terrorism becomes "anything in opposition to the policies of the current government."'

Yes - that happened about 20 years ago.

3. CommanderGalaxian
        Black Helicopters

Won't be long until what you have suggested is dangerous sedition, treason and prima facie evidence of your terrorist tendancies.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The proposed law would make it far too risky to open The Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Independent, The Sun, The Daily Mail, or The Express - or to watch or listen to the BBC.

Those media outlets are all saturated with terrorist propaganda every day, in that they stenographically repeat the terrorist propaganda of the UK and US governments - by far the biggest and most dangerous terrorist organizations in the world today, and for decades past.

Such a law would effectively hand governments the right to censor almost everything of importance that is written about politics or war. If I were to read a report that speaks approvingly of, say, Mr Maduro - all my government need do is classify Mr Maduro as a terrorist, and send round a squad of masked men in a black van to disappear me.

Everyone of any intelligence who values liberty has consistently declared that freedom of speech must include the freedom to say things that other people dislike - otherwise it is meaningless.

The proposed law would go much, much further than forbidding speech about certain topics - it would actually forbid reading or hearing such speech.

Not even Nero, Caligula, Genghis Khan, Ivan the Terrible, or any of their fellow tyrants would have dreamed of trying to impose such a repressive law.

2. Rich 11

Last week my mouse developed the annoying ability to generate two clicks every time I clicked the left button. I couldn't fix it, and it quickly developed into generating first three and then four clicks, before the replacement mouse I'd ordered arrived.

Four clicks on the right-hand column in YouTube sends you to successive pages of not always related content (since there's usually another video link at the same spot on the new page). I can well imagine that anyone with a passing interest in something like atheism (which generates links to religious videos after you've watched a few Creationist videos being debunked by sceptics) and bow-making (which generates links to firearms once you've looked at target archery) or fireworks (Colin Furze definitely leads to bigger explosions!) would soon find more violent material just a few clicks away.

I'd better keep the faulty mouse as evidence, just in case YouTube was trying to show me something unpleasant while I was busy swearing at the mouse and trying to close all those new tabs from the keyboard.

1. Justicesays

Completely away from the terrorism aspects, if your (windows machine attached) mouse starts to do this you can implement a workaround using autohotkey until your replacement shows up.

LButton::

If (A_TimeSincePriorHotkey < 100) ;hyperclick

Return

Click Down

KeyWait, LButton

Click Up

Return

Just hope terrorists won't find this useful if their mice break, otherwise you are in trouble.

3. verno

"it was an offence to collect or make a record of information that is likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism." Also goodbye maps? They may be quite useful if the terrorist is from out of town...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Following Brexit all the signposts will be removed to confuse foreign visitors

2. Suricou Raven

Standard political process: Pass a law which is ridiculously overbroad, and then trust in the CPS to decide when it should be ignored.

1. hittitezombie

This is how anti terror laws are already used to deny people indefinite leave to remain in the UK, and visas.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>This is how anti terror laws are already used to deny people indefinite leave to remain in the UK, and visas.

Like the recent case where someone was denied indefinite leave to remain, lost her job and her money fighting it... because her accountant got her tax return wrong and she made the honest mistake of correcting that later.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/08/pharmaceutical-specialist-loses-job-and-home-due-to-tax-error

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

At least that one *finally* clanked through the machinery with some sort of result for her

http://www.newindianexpress.com/world/2019/feb/03/indian-pharma-professional-wins-legal-fight-over-uk-residency-right-1933827.html

Ridiculous behaviour by the Home Office though.

2. DanceMan

Re: Standard political process

Just like the laws on speeding, set the speed limit lower than the speed of most traffic and leave the enforcement to the discretion of the plod.

If we don't like you we can always find something to charge you with.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Rearden, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with".

- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged"

(And please don't read this quotation as endorsement on my part of anything else Ms Rand may have said or suggested).

4. Dr Dan Holdsworth

This is how the yet-to-be-implemented anti-pornography law came to be implemented. Someone in the Civil Service asked for an excuse to snoop, and the politicians went and ran with it until they had a de-facto internet censorship law. The fact that nobody in their right mind will sign up to the Government Age Proof List and will instead get a VPN account is why quite a lot of spooks will even now be quietly crying into their beer.

Time was when VPNs were the province of business people, professional paranoids and a vanishingly small number of actually dangerous terrorists. Separating business from interesting was a relatively simple task.

Now that we've got a censorship law in place, the pool of VPNs goes wanker, wanker, wanker... and so ad infinitum; you don't make searching for a needle in a haystack easier by adding a few teratonnes of hay onto the stack. Here we have the reality of modern law-making; utterly ineffective at the stated aim, and massively counter-productive since it makes other necessary espionage so very much more difficult.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"it was an offence to collect or make a record of information that is likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism." Also goodbye maps? They may be quite useful if the terrorist is from out of town...

----------------------------------------------------------

And transport schedules, physics, chemistry, engineering, electronics and biology texts, anything to do with driving, vehicles, hazardous materials, flammability, alarm systems, medicine, pharmacology, scuba diving, industrial safety, electricity, manufacturing, machine tools, operating boats or airplanes, photography, navigation, identities of politicians, sport shooting, archery, martial arts, locksmithing, military history, current events, policing, security practices, plant toxicology, plant identification, firefighting, emergency planning, architecture, construction practices, vehicle design, transportation safety, road, railroad, and bridge construction, surveying, communications, farming, ecology, power systems, water systems, waste disposal, law...

I'm sure I've left a lot of things out...

Anyone with a technical university degree, familiarity and expertise in any number of trades or industries, or a good grounding in history already possesses a large and effective set of tools for terrorism... probably more so than most terrorists.

Anyone ignorant enough to possess no skills or information useful for terrorism will possess no skills or useful information.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Unhappy

Hell even looking at the website of my alma mater might qualify, as they offer both bachelors and masters degrees in "energetic materials"....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It looks as though the powers that be have finally discovered a solution to their longest-standing and most frustrating problem: how to stop people using the Internet and the Web.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I thought Brexit was going to stop people using the internet

1. Chris Parsons

There will be a nice, cosy Britnet with pictures of country cottages and Morris Minors.

1. Wayland

If the Internet was like this then all the troubles of the world would fade away;

https://s14-eu5.startpage.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fi.etsystatic.com%2F15396856%2Fd%2Fil%2F7f07bf%2F1354472715%2Fil_340x270.1354472715_13bt.jpg%3Fversion%3D0&sp=1b3a3db567b183ba4140ca904f4609b8

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon