back to article Microsoft Surface kicks dust in face of Apple iPad Pro in Q3

Microsoft's Surface line leapfrogged Apple's iPad Pro as the detachable tablet of choice for tech distributors in Western Europe but that top spot definitely won't be sustained, or so IDC says. The box-counter estimated that "roughly" 316,000 Surface devices were shipped into wholesalers' warehouses in Q3, up around 40 per …

1. Jleni

If Surface Pro could properly run Linux, they would be selling twice as much!

WSL is not a proper option yet!

It is the perfect travel notebook, except that: 1) you have to suffer Windows or 2) You can to accept that half of the hardware will not work well (webcams, etc.)

1. W. Anderson

Recently I visited the Microsoft Store on 5th Avenue and 53rd street in New York City, USA, and at least two salespersons indicated that the Huawei Mate Notebook is their best seller, even over the Surface Pro. Shows how reality can be harsh for Microsofties.

I am aware that I can also install Linux easily on the Huawei Mate Notebook, which is an enticing thought for replacing my current device.

1. Sonic531

Not quite harsh

I'm sure Microsoft would rather sell a Huawei matebook than the person go and buy a MacBook or iPad. After all they actually stock the matebook in that store so they are obviously making money from it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Not quite harsh

Not necessarily. They may be using the Matebook as a 'loss leader' - standard practice in retailing, which is to sell something at a loss just to get people into the store so they might buy something else as well.

2. h4rm0ny

Recently I visited the Microsoft Store on 5th Avenue and 53rd street in New York City, USA, and at least two salespersons indicated that the Huawei Mate Notebook is their best seller, even over the Surface Pro. Shows how reality can be harsh for Microsofties

What's harsh about it? Microsoft is a software company. They created the Surface device because they were tired of the race to the bottom by hardware vendors meaning Windows devices were always second place Macs in the public eye. The Surface was created as a standards setter for the rest of the industry. It's making money for Microsoft, no doubt. But it's real victory is that it created a market for decent quality Windows hardware. If that's sold by themselves, Huawei, Dell or someone else, MS still win.

2. Sonic531

Doubt it

A lot of people who use Linux wouldn't buy it just because it was made by Microsoft, irrespective of how well it runs Linux.

1. Updraft102

Re: Doubt it

A lot of people who use Linux wouldn't buy it just because it was made by Microsoft, irrespective of how well it runs Linux.

Which is a rational thing.

No other manufacturer has an inherent interest in making sure "alternative" OSes don't run properly. The rest of them just want to sell hardware. Microsoft wants it to be a showcase for the latest Windows 10, and that means that even if it runs Linux well now, there's no guarantee that the next firmware update will not do something to sabotage that. MS has already shown they're not above such practices. Given how troublesome these things are, you'd possibly be in a situation where you had to choose between having a firmware bug fixed or being able to use the OS of your choice.

Then there's the price of the MS devices, and their poor repairability...

It would be fun to run Linux on one just to flip the bird to Microsoft, but it's only a little bird... perhaps a hummingbird. After all, they still got your money for the Surface AND for the Windows that came preinstalled, even if you don't use it.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
          FAIL

"No other manufacturer has an inherent interest in making sure "alternative" OSes don't run properly. The rest of them just want to sell hardware."

Sony? Apple?

How easy is it to install Linux on Chromebooks? Crouton/Crostini are more like the WSL approach on Windows.

1. Sonic531

Yh those companies came to my head straight away as well.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If Surface Pro could properly run Linux"

It can, Ubuntu is in the Windows Store.

"they would be selling twice as much!"

Linux has generally worse performance and shorter battery life than Windows 10. And on devices where Linux is available as option versus Windows, the demand is close to zero. So that seems unlikely.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It can, Ubuntu is in the Windows Store."

That's a sub-section of Ubuntu, not Linux. It runs some things but it sure doesn't meet the definition of "properly run" as per the OP. Hyper-V can't even virtualise a full distro properly, for example it maxes out at FHD resolution

4. h4rm0ny
      Facepalm

Look, GNU/Linux is great and all that. And you're entirely entitled to speak for yourself on whether or not it makes a difference to you buying one. But the idea that they'd sell twice as many if you could install GNU/Linux is patently a load of crap.

Besides, GNU/Linux is included with Windows 10 these days. Just enable it like I have.

5. russmichaels

LOL, that is such a daft and ignorant comment. It would make no noticeable difference at all because barely anyone uses Linux on desktops. Last time I checked it was barely 2%.

And most Linux users hate Windows and Microsoft, so wouldn't buy a surface anyway, so you are probably talking 1% of that 2%.

2. W. Anderson

Like a Ferrari than only runs on 20 Octane gas

Windows 10 has been an absolute disaster, recently in update/upgrade fiasco , myriad problems with Edge breakage and many other severe issues over the past year, even past two to three years.

Therefore no matter what great features the article writer may attribute to Microsoft Surface (hardware) as compared to Apple iPad, the Microsoft brand remains unworthy of praise as superior to any competition.

There is an old saying in most western societies that proves true in every case - "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest Link" and Microsoft Windows - on any platform is thus a weak link.

Amazon announce that it sold more Chromebooks in the past three Thanksgiving to Christmas shopping seasons than every brand and model of Windows computers combined". Furthermore 53 plus percent of US school systems chose Chromebooks over Windows Surface/PCs and with newly announce feature of ChromeOS now able to simply install and run Linux applications, Windows frailty and thus Surface tablets look even less appealing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Like a Ferrari than only runs on 20 Octane gas

Agreed, the only thing that seems to keep the Surface range propped up is legacy enterprise.

2. kat_bg

i guess that that statistic refers to US market, not the entire world. Not sure how well Chromebook fares in comparison to Surface or Ipad Prod for that matter in the absence of internet connection. Haven't seen one in the wild, although I have seen plenty Ipad Pros and Surface

3. Korev Silver badge

>Windows 10 has been an absolute disaster, recently in update/upgrade fiasco , myriad problems with Edge breakage and many other severe issues over the past year, even past two to three years.

This is a shame, it looked like they were getting back on track after Win8

> Therefore no matter what great features the article writer may attribute to Microsoft Surface (hardware) as compared to Apple iPad, the Microsoft brand remains unworthy of praise as superior to any competition.

Apple upgrades aren't perfect either, a quick look around the Internet in the days after an upgrade make that very clear. I had to do a restore on my work iPhone when going to 12.0 (why I upgrade using my MBP and not just "over the air").

1. h4rm0ny

"This is a shame, it looked like they were getting back on track after Win8"

I wouldn't read too much into their post. It's the sort of post that makes me question if they actually use Windows with any frequency. I run both GNU/Linux and Windows 10. Windows 10 has given me very little trouble.

4. Updraft102

Amazon announce that it sold more Chromebooks in the past three Thanksgiving to Christmas shopping seasons than every brand and model of Windows computers combined".

I've heard this kind of thing many times, but how does that reconcile with netmarketshare.com stats that show Chromebook share at <1%? Are most of them being detected as mobiles?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

316,000 stored in warehouses, NOT SOLD

It's a bit of a non-story really.

1. keith_w

Re: 316,000 stored in warehouses, NOT SOLD

what do you imagine they will order in 316,000 units at who know what cost and let them just sit there? If they ordered them, it's because the expect to sell them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like