back to article London flatmate (Julian Assange) sues landlord (government of Ecuador) in human rights spat

Housemate from hell Julian Assange is taking his landlord, the government of Ecuador, to court to stop its officials from, allegedly, running roughshod over his human rights. The WikiLeaks supremo is fed up with being essentially held in near-solitary confinement in an Ecuadorian embassy broom cupboard in London, England. In …

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Now, Assange fears the new president of Ecuador, Lenín Moreno, has ordered staff to psychologically break him....

Too late for that I'm afraid. A guest suiing the hosts. Just when you think you've heard/read/seen it all, there's Assange who's truly the guest from hell.

2. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

Tic-tac-toe < Checkers < Chess

Holed up in an embassy as an asylum seeker, and you sue the embassy's government. Clearly Assange isn't a Tic-tac-toe player, much less a Chess player.

Not much of a future as a floor painter either.

3. DougS Silver badge

I really hope he gets the boot

And the UK arrests him and does whatever they plan to do, and then...nothing. That the US just doesn't give a damn about the self-important little twat, he doesn't get extradited to either Sweden or the US, and he has to find some other reason to play the victim.

That's probably what he really fears, is that the world has moved on and no one gives a shit about him.

4. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: I really hope he gets the boot

He's a human being after all. Would any human being "want" to get arrested by a TLA notorious for prisoners going poof?

5. Nick Kew Silver badge

psychologically break him

Hmmm. I should've thought indefinite confinement would tend to do that. The embassy may not technically be prison, but his situation must rank with being confined to a cruise ship or spaceship for immediate hell, and without the prospect of release to keep a chap sane.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"his situation must rank with being confined to a cruise ship"

Not even that. He can leave at any time without needing to be able to swim.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"That the US just doesn't give a damn about the self-important little twat,"

The difficulty with this happening at present is that it could turn into a pissing match between self-important little twats.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Tic-tac-toe < Checkers < Chess

"Not much of a future as a floor painter either."

He proved that when he went into the embassy in the first place. Mind you, the results have been somewhat more entertaining for the rest of us than watching paint dry.

9. HereIAmJH

Would any human being "want" to get arrested by a TLA notorious for prisoners going poof?

Because Manning went poof... well, I guess Bradley did, but it wasn't a TLA that did that. He took it like a man, served the time, and has been released, early. But you go ahead and jump at shadows and fear the monsters under the bed.

10. Clunking Fist Bronze badge

"TLA notorious for prisoners going poof"

He's wanted by the Saudis now? Well I never...

11. Andrew Norton

Oh, sweden will extradite him.

The charges have been dropped only because they can't take the next step, which is 'arrest then charge'.

And just like how 'charged' means something different in the Swedish system. They can reactive the charges any time until the statute of limitations, and request he be sent over to face the rape charges. That's why he hasn't left.

He'll stay there until they expire, then leave. Remember, he said 18 months ago that he would be fine with going to the US if Manning got Clemency (https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/819630102787059713). Manning's been out 18 months after Obama granted clemency, he's still hiding... from Sweden.

12. streaky Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

For like the 400th time he's perfectly entitled to leave whenever he likes. Stop pretending he's in some secret CIA prison in Antarctica. His confinement is *completely* self-imposed. Pretending the US is out to get you doesn't mean they actually are - if the US ever tries to extradite this man from anywhere it'll be in full view of the world and he'll be entitled to all rights availed any other US prisoner. Now personally up until Mueller went after his mates I didn't think the US could even figure out what to charge him with - now it's reasonable to assume the US thinks they might be able to prove he knowingly engaged in espionage against the US on behalf of a foreign power. Some of the Mueller docs you can totally see where names have been redacted it should say "wikileaks" or "Assange" - I wonder if he has anything to trade because Putin won't lift a finger to help him.

13. Persona

"They can reactive the charges any time until the statute of limitations"

The statute of limitations expires in August 2020 so he's still got a long time to hide, and after that he has the bail skipping bail to contend with.

14. imanidiot Silver badge

That means he could leave. The swedish charges HAVE expired. However, unluckily for him, he'll die in there if he's going to wait for the UK charges of escaping on bail because those don't expire. And the UK would happily extradite him if asked. However the US would be much smarter in NOT asking for his extradition. I suspect that would bruise his ego and reputation more than this whole "stuck in an embassy" schtick which is still allowing him to play the victim.

15. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Holmes

He may just want to wait til after Brexit to avoid the EU arrest warrant

16. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

imanidiot,

Nope. The Swedish charges haven't expired. Most of them were on a 5 year statute of limitations, they were the more minor sexual offenses ones, and expired 3 years ago. The 2 rape ones are on a 10 year timer. So he's got a couple of years yet to hide.

17. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

He's a human being after all. Would any human being "want" to get arrested by a TLA notorious for prisoners going poof?

Those two women he allegedly raped in Sweden are human beings as well. It's worth remembering that he was in Sweden for some time after the leaks he is allegedly worried about, without any apparent concern about rendition to the US. He only seems to have become worried about this after he ran away from Sweden to the UK after these allegations came to light, and he only 'sought asylum' in the Ecuadorian embassy after being picked up by the UK police so that the Swedish prosecutors could catch up with him, and bailed - which he promptly skipped out on. it's also worth remembering that the UK has a far less stringent extradition treaty with the US than Sweden does, so if he was, as he claims, seeking to avoid extradition there from Sweden, the UK is about the last place he would have wanted to come.

Occam's Razor would suggest that, rather than a vast conspiracy against him by US TLAs, the Swedish Government, the British Government, and the Ecuadorian Government, to lock him up (and lets not forget that the person who actually leaked those documents has already been freed), it seems much more likely that here is a guy with an inflated sense of self-importance running from justice from a country where the idea of sexual consent is a bit more rigorous than his home nation.

18. DougS Silver badge

@streaky

it's reasonable to assume the US thinks they might be able to prove he knowingly engaged in espionage against the US on behalf of a foreign power

That depends on whether Assange 1) was making the high level decisions for Wikileaks during that time and 2) Wikileaks had all the leaked emails in their possession at once, and dribbled them out based on when someone else told them to.

If the emails were held by the Russians and dribbled out to Wikipedia according to a timetable advantageous for the Trump campaign (and they were, again and again new leaks occurred when there was bad news about Trump they wanted to distract from) then Wikileaks can say "we were just following our policy of releasing whatever we get as soon as we get it". At worst they could be accused of being a knowing and willing dupe, but not part of the conspiracy.

However, the allegations that Roger Stone was in communication with Wikileaks will mean that's a hard claim to make. Probably impossible to make, once he's indicted and he inevitably cooperates to reduce his sentence. So if Assange had any involvement with the timing of the Hillary email leaks, he should want to leave the embassy sooner rather than later. Though either way, the charges he'd face would have him serve MUCH less time than what he's already decided to serve on his own.

19. Ian Michael Gumby Silver badge

@DougS ... Re: I really hope he gets the boot

I've been saying the same thing for years now...

If the US wants him... they will tag him in Australia. That's his last stop and they will pull his Passport.

20. streaky Silver badge

Re: @streaky

@DougS the problem he has is how adamant he was that these people weren't Russians and how he knows who they are and absolutely did I mention guarantees they weren't Russian? I said at the time long before Mueller and Trump being elected in fact that he couldn't possibly know - the only way you can know if they're Russian or not is if you know for a fact they are. Nope, they're not Russians. His claims on this have been far too matter of fact for his own good - if he'd said "I don't believe they're Russians, but how could I know?" he'd be far less at risk of this.

21. DougS Silver badge

I always thought the biggest problem with this claim "they weren't Russian" is that the whole point of Wikileaks is submissions are supposed to be guaranteed anonymous. How the heck can they guarantee anonymity AND know whether the emails came from Russians unless 1) submissions are actually not anonymous or 2) this particular "submission" did not come through their normal channels, which raises all the questions about collusion/conspiracy on the all too obvious timing of each release.

Neither possibility leaves Wikileaks looking good. The mere fact that they'd be insistent "they weren't Russian" shows they're taking a side in this. A properly neutral 'leaker' would simply say "our submission process guarantees anonymity of the submitter, thus we have no possible way of knowing where these emails originated or who provided them to us".

22. Orv Silver badge

I think it's unlikely the US is what he's really worried about right now, because he helped the current US President get elected. The odds of any executive branch entity going after him are basically nil. No, he's worried either that the UK will throw the book at him, or that those rape charges will actually stick. "Boys will be boys" isn't a great defense anymore.

23. TheUnregister

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting article. I am banning the "news" site theregister.co.uk from my company's allowed sites policy.

24. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: TheUnregister

I see you've got your internet access back, Julian.

C.

25. Snorlax Silver badge
    WTF?

What's the problem?

Julian himself would be the first to defend a person's right to freedom of expression.

If you don't like the article, read something else.

26. Rol Silver badge

I notice Unregistered has registered just this one comment in the whopping 24 hours they've been a member.

It'll be difficult to miss something that wasn't really there.

27. Nick Kew Silver badge
    Pint

I notice Unregistered has registered just this one comment in the whopping 24 hours they've been a member.

At a guess, it's a joke from someone familiar with Reg comments. Maybe a regular or a lurker. Or even someone deliberately feeding a line to that first reply :)

28. IceC0ld Bronze badge

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting article. I am banning the "news" site theregister.co.uk from my company's allowed sites policy.

===

bit of a god like admin gone nutz there, unless it IS irony ? but just comes across as crap

and a whole single post too, we are HONOURED Julian :oP

29. Jove Bronze badge

Thus speaks the Snowflakes at the Guardian.

30. Danny 14 Silver badge

im surprised they didnt mention the B word. Seems a great way to derail threads these days.

31. Frumious Bandersnatch Silver badge

and still, ...

... they come

32. My-Handle

"I am banning the 'news' site theregister.co.uk from my company's allowed sites policy."

Really? I added it as the default home page for my company :)

33. Kane Silver badge
    Alien

Re: and still, ...

"... they come"

ULLA

34. Kane Silver badge
    Trollface

"Disgusting, absolutely disgusting article. I am banning the "news" site theregister.co.uk from my company's allowed sites policy."

Hmmm...

35. Mike Moyle Silver badge

"Julian himself would be the first to defend a person's right to freedom of expression."

...unless it inconvenienced or prejudiced HIS interests; then it's right out!

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/wikileaks-assange-complains-hes-victim-of-leaks/articleshow/7139648.cms

36. Jove Bronze badge

Aaah, diddums; The Guardian Snowflakes just about manage to click the down-vote, but stringing together a few words that have any meaning in the real world is beyond them.

37. Snorlax Silver badge

@MIke Moyle:"...unless it inconvenienced or prejudiced HIS interests; then it's right out!"

My comment was partly tongue-in-cheek.

Assange is an arsehole (and I think I'm on record saying so on numerous occasions), and his supporters can't claim the right to freedom of expression while at the same time denying the same right to those they disagree with...

38. Jove Bronze badge

It is very reminiscent of something that everyone's favourite POTUS might write :)

39. cosymart
    Meh

Lets Get Real

Who pays for his food? Does he get to choose the menu?

To be honest if he had not skipped bail he would at most done 6 months at Her Majesty's Pleasure and as long as he avoided bending down for the soap he would have come out unscathed. As it is he has been banged up in the Ecuadorian embassy for far longer than most criminals get for GBH. What a muppet.

40. This post has been deleted by its author

41. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

Re: Lets Get Real

I think his concern (read: paranoia) about the CIA/NSA extradition may have been relevant at one time, but I think he's been locked up in the embassy too long. 'Statute of Limitations' most likely applies here. Also he should consider that self-imposed incarceration "time served".

42. DougS Silver badge

I'm sure the US could come up with charges for which there is no statute of limitations, but I think he likes playing the victim for attention and the worst thing that could happen to him is that he gets released and no one cares enough to extradite him anywhere. Then all his claims that he had to hide out to avoid unfair prosecution simply evaporate and he looks like the pathetic fool he is.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statute of limitations stop when you leave the country and technically he`s on foreign soil

44. SkippyBing Silver badge

'Statute of limitations stop when you leave the country and technically he`s on foreign soil'

Repeat after me, Embassies aren't foreign soil, they're just buildings that have been accorded diplomatic status.

45. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"To be honest if he had not skipped bail he would at most done 6 months at Her Majesty's Pleasure"

If he hadn't skipped bail he wouldn't have committed any offence here, he'd probably have been shipped back to Sweden. It's his skipping bail that makes him liable for imprisonment here.

46. Ben Tasker Silver badge

> Also he should consider that self-imposed incarceration "time served".

From his filings, he does consider this time to be "time-served".

But no judge will, or should, agree with that. It's self-imposed incarceration at a location of his choice, and the accused doesn't, and shouldn't get to call the shots. At the far more extreme end of that, you could murder someone and then go live in an embassy (hopefully a more luxurious one) for 30 years then walk out and claim time served. Would anyone agree that was right?

I wonder if there's a risk that a judicial review of his current circumstances in Ecuador could in fact result in a conclusion that there's no grounds for offering him asylum, and that that offer should be withdrawn? Seems a bit dangerous to play whos-cock-is-bigger with the government that's providing the walls between you and arrest.

47. Snorlax Silver badge
    Facepalm

@bombastic bob: " 'Statute of Limitations' most likely applies here. "

No it doesn't.

You can't dodge criminal charges by playing hide and seek for a few years.

The clock doesn't run out, and you don't get off with "time served". Duh.

48. Stoneshop Silver badge

Repeat after me, Embassies aren't foreign soil, they're just buildings that have been accorded diplomatic status.

Although if you've committed a crime in country X, any soil outside country X including its embassies and such, is foreign. Not sure about international waters; a different set of rules apply there, but I doubt anybody's going to lift a finger if Assange is nabbed from a dinghy floating halfway between the UK and South America.

Hm, I take that back. A lot of fingers will be lifted, to then descend on keyboards. But nothing more than that.

49. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

@bombastic bob: " 'Statute of Limitations' most likely applies here. "

No it doesn't.

You can't dodge criminal charges by playing hide and seek for a few years.

The clock doesn't run out, and you don't get off with "time served". Duh.

Not sure why you got downvoted here. The UK doesn't have a statute of limitations as such. If a case is started and the defendant pisses off, all proceedings and clocks are stopped until the defendant is apprehended or presents him/herself back at court. No time limits.

Remember Ronnie Biggs of the great train robbery. He was in Brazil for something like 40 years "on the run".

50. BongoJoe Silver badge

Wasn't there a thing years ago in the America's Cup where in (I think) Australia a team (again, I think the USA) needed a keel rebuilt and were told that they had to do this on American soil so they beetled off to the Embassy to get it done within the grounds?

This was approved and given the litigitious nature of the America's Cup, where most of the action takes place in a courtroom, I am now surprised that this keep rebuilding wasn't allowed.

Mind you, not that I have an opinion on this matter: I am just milldly interested.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018