back to article Linux, HCI and more, all from the new release of Windows Server 2019

After a lengthy gestation period, Windows Server 2019 has arrived loaded with goodies to ease the journey to a cloudier world. Windows Server 2019 is the next iteration of the platform in Microsoft's Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC). It contains some new toys as well as features already enjoyed by those admins brave to surf …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Linux

the arrival of Shielded VMs for Linux VMs

Ok, ok... lemme get this straight.

If the host system is 'taken over' or has malware mucking with it, this "shielded VM" thing is supposed to stop it from mucking with the VM's too, right? And previous incarnations from the earlier server release only did this for VM's running some version of windows, right?

And this "new, shiny" _also_ includes Linux. Wheee.

I say, why not host everything on a NON-micro-shaft OS instead? You know, like *REAL* Linux!

I'm certainly not against running windows in a VM hosted on Linux or FreeBSD when customers want a VM that runs windows. Just don't have a windows host when you do it. Many reasons exist, INCLUDING the need for "Shielded VMs" in the FIRST place! (think bandade on a compound fracture, bubble gum patching the radiator, finger in a dike, bailing wire and duck tape...) That being said, 'windows VM host' = security crater out of the box as far as I'm concerned. Recent vulnerabilities and zero-days are good supporting proof of that.

Seriously, WHAT advantages are there to running cloudy VMs on a Windows host, vs something LIKE CentOS or FreeBSD?

*crickets chirping*

As for "Microsoft Linux" - Embrace, Extend, Extinguish, *EX-TER-MIN-ATE*!!!

1. GidaBrasti
      Linux

Re: the arrival of Shielded VMs for Linux VMs

Windows is slowly but surely fading away as it should have happened years ago.

See also: https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-now-dominates-azure/

2. defiler

Seriously, WHAT advantages are there to running cloudy VMs on a Windows host, vs something LIKE CentOS or FreeBSD?

Veeam, Bob. They have Veeam. And it's been requested to support KVM, but it's never happened yet. So you can have Veeam without the mental licensing storm that is VMware.

Now fuck off and lie down before you give yourself an aneurysm.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Thumb Down

"Now fuck off and lie down before you give yourself an aneurysm"

no. [as if you cared at all about my health, but your comment is irrelevant anyway]

'Veeam'. wheeeeeee. (Yeah I'm not impressed)

FYI - if you've ever really used POSIX systems (like Linux, *BSD) you'd realize that even simple tarball backups are pretty easy to automate and manage - unlike windows, something that requires special file access modes and whatnot to do live system backups - and file systems like ZFS make disasters less likely.

FreeBSD also has a hypervisor built in: https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve

(I've heard really good things about it)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You should change your name to bellend bob, ya massive bellend!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like