back to article Twitter: Don't panic, but we may have leaked your DMs to rando devs

Twitter is in full damage control mode after disclosing that it may have inappropriately exposed some unlucky twits' private tweets and direct messages to strangers. The 280-character shoutfest admitted on Friday that a bug present in one of its APIs from May 2017 to September 10, 2018, could have caused some messages to leak …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Oh man, I sure hope Trump was one of them

Seeing what his public tweets are like, one can only imagine the DMs he must send!

1. FozzyBear
      Happy

Re: Oh man, I sure hope Trump was one of them

If not, I'll guarantee there is an army of trump haters mocking some up anyway. Regardless, the entertainment value from the fallout on this is going to be awesome.

Popcorn please

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Presumably all affected users were outside Europe

Y'know, what with GDPR and all.

Out of curiosity, who does investigation and punishment when a non-EU entity leaks the data of multiple countries' citizens?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Presumably all affected users were outside Europe

I was more interested in the fact they've announced it, tried to imply that the potentially affected 3.4 million people is a only a small number of "less than 1%" and then ended by claiming of the accounts reviewed so far, no one is affected.

That tells me that they are more scared of privacy laws than bad publicity, at least in this particular circumstance.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Presumably all affected users were outside Europe

That tells me that they are more scared of privacy laws than bad publicity, at least in this particular circumstance.

Agreed. The set of circumstances that they provided in order for the bug to occur did seem a little unlikely - certainly not something that could impact a small number of millions of different people.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

So...

How's that cloud thing working for ya?

1. P. Lee

Re: So...

Best explanation of the cloud ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdZWgiAj8I

Audio is NSFW.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Msg leak bug present in Twitter API

Do you think this feature was included under instructions from a Government agency, and Twitter is only now coming clean after being found out by some third party. Or maybe the Ruskies or Chinese or NORKs or Iran hacked the API?

5. elvisimprsntr

First Rule: Nothing is guaranteed to be private over the Internet/Cloud.

Second Rule: See First Rule.

6. Snow Wombat
    Big Brother

Implying...

That the "correct" type of devs have access.

Meh it's Twitter. I assume the whole platform is compromised and never discuss anything important in DMs

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Implying...

"Meh it's Twitter. I assume the whole platform is compromised and never" use it.

FTFY

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like