back to article UK.gov isn't ready for no-deal Brexit – and 'secrecy' means businesses won't be either

The UK government has left its preparation for a no-deal Brexit too late, while secrecy around negotiations has left businesses unable to prepare, a report has said. The latest missive to slam the government’s preparedness for the UK’s departure from the European Union comes from the Institute for Government think tank. …

Page:

1. WibbleMe

For us that means paychecks!

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Facepalm

Or a reason to jump to another country..

2. fidodogbreath Silver badge

Assuming, of course, that there's a functioning financial system.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"For us that means paychecks!"

For many that means lack of paycheques.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"For us that means paychecks!"

Unless you're working for a US company, then it's your pay cheque you should be worried about, not just checking it's correct.

5. Why Not?

Indeed where there is confusion there is overtime!

Thanks Hedley !

6. John G Imrie Silver badge

Just make sure you are payed in Euros

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And therein lies the problem. there are people pushing Brexit that basically want a broken country, to cash in fixing it.

Too many Brexit voters are simply too stupid to see they are being manipulated.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"...there are people pushing Brexit that basically want a broken country..."

On the one hand I think that the people who voted for Brexit did so because of a delusional belief that the many problems the UK faces were caused by other countries and not by ourselves. This view was enthusiastically promoted by David Cameron's government throughout his time as PM because it was pretty effective at diverting criticism away from the Tories. As we know though, it resulted in him being hoist with his own petard.

But on the other hand, I don't think the UK will be broken badly enough to force Brexiters to reappraise their delusions; they'll just carry on blaming the EU.

I fear that things must get a lot worse before they can start getting better; we really do seem to be in a 'you can't get there from here' position. Quite frankly, I'm just glad I'm not young anymore, as it won't affect me very much, and I'm glad I grew up when I did and not now, but I'm worried for the young people who will have to deal with the future.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
        Unhappy

"oo many Brexit voters are simply too stupid to see they are being manipulated."

That's why they are called "Banjo's"

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone else being asked by agencies ...

"Are you certain you be able to travel and work within the EU without a visa after April 2019" ?

I have. And had to prove it. But not with a UK passport.

1. yossarianuk

Re: Anyone else being asked by agencies ...

You know some good people smugglers ?

1. Mark 85 Silver badge

Yes, but they're all busy smuggling people into the US. Or so some folks would have us believe.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

You know some good people smugglers ?

We could just dig a tunnel.

All we need is a giant vaulting horse near Dover and a lot of people wandering around dropping dirt out of their trousers

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"..and a lot of people wandering around dropping dirt out of their trousers"

it's Kent. you'll find plenty of those.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You know some good people smugglers ?

all them lorries that bring foreign scum to our beloved paradise, surely they must be going back empty, there's money in them trailers...

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

This is why I'm frantically researching my Irish heritage, in the hopes I can get my Irish passport before Brexit.

1. Warm Braw Silver badge

I'm frantically researching my Irish heritage

You are at least still entitled to an Irish bank account and the Common Travel Area means you can move there and take advantage of the health care system, even if only temporarily (check out the rents in Dublin...). Even if there is a "hard" Brexit, you should still be able to travel from the UK to Belfast and cross the border (either officially or otherwise) and thence to the continent and beyond.

So even if there is no UK-Europe transport and there are emergency exchange controls, there is an escape route if you are prepared!

2. BongoJoe

This is why I'm frantically researching my Irish heritage, in the hopes I can get my Irish passport before Brexit.

I've found a way to get a French passport and citizenship. The only drawback is that I would need to spend three years in the French Foreign Legion first...

Say hello to Ms May when you're there

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
          Joke

The only drawback is that I would need to spend three years in the French Foreign Legion first...

The cliché is that people join the foreign legion to forget. And when those three years are up, you've forgotten why you signed up in the first place...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I should be able to prove that I am also Italian... with a lot of document hunting...

4. ZSn

@Zippy´s Sausage Factory

If you have a grandparent (grandmother preferably) that was born in any part of Ireland then you can get one. First you need to get on the Foreign Birth Register:

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

The required paperwork can take a while to get together, the list is long, depending upon what you already have/know. Once you submit the paperwork it takes *up to* six months to process (currently about four to five months, but can be longer depending how complete/complex you paperwork is). So, if you know your family tree and have the paperwork already, and counting in 1 month to get the actually passport you could just do it before brexit day. Perhaps.

Good luck!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No shit, Sherlock?

The UK government has left its preparation for a no-deal Brexit too late, while secrecy around negotiations has left businesses unable to prepare, a report has said.

Why do we need a report on this? We can all see it for ourselves, whichever way we voted.

Hands up all in favour of executing every member of Parliament and all of the Westminster civil service when they botch Brexit.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: No shit, Sherlock?

The problem with getting rid of politicians - no matter what method you use - is that the replacements are even worse. Executing the Westminster civil will require setting up a new working group and hiring staff to investigate the most cost intensive method. Start with a £100M budget and a two year deadline then after five years and £500M the project will be abandoned due to cost and restarted a year later.

1. Stoneshop Silver badge
        Go

The problem with getting rid of politicians - no matter what method you use - is that the replacements are even worse.

You could try forming an anarcho-syndicalist commune, with individuals[0] taking turns to act as sort of executive officer for the week...

[0] you're all individuals.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" you're all individuals."

I'm not.

2. Rich 11 Silver badge

You shouldn't blame the Civil Service. After all, they were only following orders.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"After all, they were only following orders."

More likely trying to guess what the orders might be when they finally get them, probably about the end of the second week of March.

1. A.P. Veening

"More likely trying to guess what the orders might be when they finally get them, probably about the end of the second week of March."

You are correct in your estimation when you include the correct year, which will be 2020 (if they hurry).

2. Stoneshop Silver badge
          Devil

More likely trying to guess what the orders might be when they finally get them, probably about the end of the second week of March.

What year?

3. Teiwaz Silver badge

Hands up all in favour of executing every member of Parliament and all of the Westminster civil service when they botch Brexit.

I'd rather see them rounded up and incarcerated in the woefully underfunded prison system until such time as they can be tried for treason.

And finally some sort of register put in place to stop the incompetent ever being able to manage anything ever again.

Over all it'd be more just and longer drawn out than something terminal.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Why do we need a report on this? We can all see it for ourselves, whichever way we voted."

I doubt it. There are plenty in denial. They believe it's the best of all options. If they get their way they'll blame the consequences of the Remainers.

We send £350M a week to Westminster, vote to leave the UK and we can spend that on the NHS instead!

5. ThatOne Silver badge
      Coat

Hey, you can't blame them for trying to imitate the example of the successful cousins: They undertook to make Great Britain great again, also build a wall on the European border and make the Europeans pay for it. What's to blame?...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> successful cousins

Not sure who you're meaning with that term.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Hands up all in favour of executing every member of Parliament

Some members of Parliament voted against this Brexit nonsense.

Those ones shouldn't be lumped in with the rest.

7. Len Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Sorry, a bit more of a serious answer than you probably hoped to receive.

First of all, I don't believe in executions (the closest I'd get is sending a marooned and friendless Boris Johnson to a German bunker with a bottle of vodka and a gun).

I also don't believe in prosecuting MPs for political matters of conviction (being foreign agents, sex offenders, fraudsters etc. sure, not for political beliefs as that is a very slippery slope). If MPs have acted or reasoned appallingly it should be a matter of their constituents to deal with that.

I do believe in prosecuting (ex-)members of the Cabinet. They are given special powers to execute on our behalf and if they are found to have been lying to the people, withholding facts, taking decisions in self interest instead of the country's interest they should face trial and possible prison sentences.

If anything, it should act as a deterrent for any future cabinet members.

1. Aladdin Sane Silver badge

How about prosecuting MPs for criminal negligence?

1. Ken 16 Silver badge
          Meh

Legislators would never pass that kind of law

2. Pen-y-gors Silver badge

@Len

You're going in the right direction. Killing people is wrong. And anyway, we'd have to pass a law to make killing MPs legal, and they're unlikely to do that.

But in terms of Cabinet members (and others - Farage)...

Treason Act 1351, as amended reads:

"or be adherent to the King’s Enemies in his Realm, giving to them Aid and Comfort in the Realm, or elsewhere, and thereof be [X4probably] attainted of open Deed by [X5the People] of their Condition"

1. Brexit will cause massive damage to the UK

2. Who would want that to happen?

3. Only enemies of the Queen and the UK. e.g. Putin - who welcomes Brexit and kills people in the UK. Sounds like an enemy to me.

4. So, by implementing Brexit, they are giving Aid and Comfort

5. The People can attest to that.

Which makes them guilty of High Treason, which no longer has the death penalty. But they can spend the rest of their days on Dartmoor, breaking rocks and picking oakum.

Can we crowdfund a prosecution?

4. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Facepalm

"The UK government has left its preparation for a no-deal Brexit too late"

You could, in fairness, replace "a no-deal Brexit" with absolutely anything that this government has to plan for and that sentence would still stand up.

1. Steve K Silver badge

I think you mean ANY UK Government of the last 20 years....

1. Hans 1 Silver badge
        Happy

I think you mean ANY UK Government of the last 2^H40 years....

TFTFY

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"You could, in fairness, replace "a no-deal Brexit" with absolutely anything that this government has to plan for and that sentence would still stand up."

Even if there is a deal, no one knows what it will/might be until it's all finally agreed anyway, so the upshot is, no one can be prepared for *any* deal.

1. LDS Silver badge

"Even if there is a deal"

Actually, a deal could allow for a transition period which would give more time to prepare. The issue is a "no deal", because it would imply on March 29th, 2019 UK is fully outside EU with no transition period, and all previous EU agreements cease to be effective.

5. codejunky Silver badge
    Alert

Hmm

I am just waiting for the amusing comments claiming May is not trying to keep us in and that somehow this is the brexiters fault for the somehow unclear result of 'we voted to leave the EU'.

Somehow this is sure to be the fault of the leave voter for the gov not to be anticipating nor committed to leave, even though the leave voter voted to leave and we could start preparing for that pre handing in art50!

Funny how Cameron didnt negotiate anything (and would be staying to negotiate) about leaving but having no plan to leave was brexiters fault. And now the claim is that May (campaigned to remain and has insisted on continuing negotiations the EU clearly stated were not available) is unprepared.

Let me guess, some fool is going to insist it is the leave voters fault or even brexiters in government. Even though we are the ones not getting what was voted for.

1. Steve K Silver badge

Re: Hmm

Even though we are the ones not getting what was voted for.

Whichever way you voted, there was no soft or hard Brexit question - it was Leave or Remain.

If we Leave then technically we are getting what we voted for as per the ballot paper.

Cameron's complacency is to blame for the arguments over the sort of Brexit by choosing a single question.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cameron's complacency is to blame for the arguments over the sort of Brexit by choosing a single question.

And if it was multiple choice (A) Soft (B) Hard, or (C) Remain,

then nothing would have happened, because the Remain would have been the biggest response.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

"then nothing would have happened, because the Remain would have been the biggest response."

Which in hindsight would have been the best choice, because right now we have the choice between a total disaster (whatever deal we get, and with almost two years wasted it won't be a good one), and an even worse disaster (no deal at all).

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019