back to article UK networks have 'no plans' to bring roaming fees back after Brexit

Seaside selfies from Spain may be a thing of the past if the UK waves buh-bye to Brussels without a Brexit deal. Brits have delighted in the ability to "Roam Like at Home" thanks to a bunch of EU regulations forcing carriers to allow their customers to call, text and use data without incurring heart-stopping surcharges. Data …

Page:

1. Spoonsinger

Umm...

I imagine the chocolaty bit at the bottom of the cone in a Cornetto will also be smaller after Brexit. Wall's, to my knowledge, have made no comment - which speaks volumes. Will the horror never end!!!???!!!!

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Cornetto

Sod Cornetto, Toblerone will be rebranded as "Tobler One" for the UK market. (One triangle per pack).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another complete non-story on Brexit.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Tell those on the NI border that...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Another complete non-story on Brexit.

It matters not. The B word is clickbait in the extreme, with mouth-frothing remoaners leaving no turd unstoned when venting their bile that their side lost.

Whilst I'm perhaps regretting some aspects of my vote to leave, watching the paroxysms of spittle inflected rage of the Remain camp, I think that voting leave will be worth any economic cost. And if we have a second vote, I'll still vote leave for that reason.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

In the event of no deal or a hard Brexit, please do come back after March and tell us how you, personally, are winning.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"In the event of no deal or a hard Brexit, please do come back after March and tell us how you, personally, are winning."

I don't have to wait for March. Baiting sad-sack Remoaners is winning on its own. Apparently the cost to me is the price of a couple of coffees for an international driving permit. I think I'm getting that much value every day.

I'd select the troll icon if I could.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge
            Trollface

Re: I'd select the troll icon if I could.

Why? Can't you? Eh?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Don't diss the "remainers", they are a vital part of the Brexit strategy - any and all negative results after Brexit will be blamed on the remainers who will be vilified & persecuted in the press and online, and if we can't string a few of them up then it wont be for want of trying.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Don't diss the "remainers", they are a vital part of the Brexit strategy - any and all negative results after Brexit will be blamed on the remainers who will be vilified & persecuted in the press and online, and if we can't string a few of them up then it wont be for want of trying."

I have my rope ready. Bwahahahahahahahahaahaaa!

I'm not sure what I enjoy most: Stroking my long haired white cat, the shrill & righteous indignation of the Remoaners, or their sense of proportion-free victimhood. On reflection they're all good.

1. veti Silver badge

Interesting use of anonymity here. Apparently, Leavers still don't want to be publicly identified, even by pseudonym.

1. LucreLout

Interesting use of anonymity here. Apparently, Leavers still don't want to be publicly identified, even by pseudonym.

I'm not the AC above, but I am a leaver. We disagree politically, so that's about the same as every general election ever then.... Sorry, I must not have got the memo about being ashamed of it.

1. Tigra 07
                    Thumb Up

RE: LucreLout

Another leaver here. More determined to leave now than at any point since the referendum.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We disagree politically, so that's about the same as every general election ever then"

If you change your mind about a general election vote that's OK, the effect only lasts for 5 years at the most. If you change your mind about a constitutional vote affecting your countries relationship with others and which carries inevitable economic consequences, tough. At best, if you change your mind you're in for long negotiations to reverse it and you may only be able to do so at less advantageous terms than before. That's why its conventional for referenda to require a supermajority. And, of course, you decide before the event whether the decision is to be binding or advisory.

If you ask do I think such revisions to the EU treaties should have been subject to binding referenda requiring a supermajority, yes I do. That doesn't affect the fact that this has been an economically disastrous decision made in an outrageously stupid manner.

1. LucreLout

If you change your mind about a constitutional vote affecting your countries relationship with others and which carries inevitable economic consequences, tough.

'Twas the same when we voted to join a common market.

That's why its conventional for referenda to require a supermajority.

Conventioanl where, exactly? In the UK it's not conventional at all.

And, of course, you decide before the event whether the decision is to be binding or advisory.

All referendums are binding. Were they not, people would not vote in them. Remainers wrote the text, so its too late to moan about the spelling.

That doesn't affect the fact that this has been an economically disastrous decision made in an outrageously stupid manner.

I agree, but now we're ont he verge of reversing that and leaving the EU to go back to our historically advantageous position of trading with the rest of the world, instead of pretending it doesn't exist.

1. Kurt Meyer

That advantageous trade position

@LucreLout

"to go back to our historically advantageous position of trading with the rest of the world"

No doubt the rest of the Empire will line up behind that position.

3. iRadiate

I too voted to leave. I had my reasons but immigration wasn't one of them.

Not ashamed and don't need to justify myself in the same way I don't need to justify voting labour, conservative or liberal dem.

2. Adam Inistrator

Im a leaver. Doubly so having seen the shenanigans from Brussels since the vote.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Don't diss the "remainers", they are a vital part of the Brexit strategy - any and all negative results after Brexit will be blamed on the remainers

Indeed that are. Because once the consequences start to bite everyone will claim to have been a remainer all along. It'll be the only way to avoid the blame. The outcome of the vote will be seen to have been a strange statistical anomaly.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Would you have voted leave if Jacob Rees Mogg had said he was transferring his investment business to Ireland?

We're less than a year away from 'leaving'...I can count the value of trade deals negotiated in binary with one digit...and before you say we re not allowed...we're leaving so what are they going to do...throw us out?

1. streaky

Would you have voted leave if Jacob Rees Mogg had said he was transferring his investment business to Ireland?

Fuck I love Chinese whispers. Have you heard the one about Juncker and his crack cocaine problem?

It's not JRM's business and he's not transferring it to Ireland. Would you like to try again with the lies on ice?

In other news the guy with the whole if it was simple it would have happened by now - if we didn't have a remoaner government screwing everything up backed up by a remoaner civil service and even to the extent they're trying to get things done a remoaner house of lords with a SERIOUS democratic deficit bought and paid for by the EU, aka us - literally being taxed to do us self-harm by the way - it's simple, yes.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The Americans did pretty well out of independence - and that involved a damaging war and trade embargos.

The Americans did pretty well out of 2 centuries of mass immigration, I don't think that was what the EU leavers had in mind.

4. David Nash Silver badge
            WTF?

voting leave will be worth any economic cost.

Any?

Any?

Think about what you are saying. Are you really that stupid?

2. Andre Carneiro

“I think that voting leave will be worth any economic cost. ”

I’m sorry, but this is simply not something that anyone sensible would say and it utterly reinforces my idea that Leave is a semi-religious frenzy rather than a rational decision.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I’m sorry , but this is simply not something that anyone sensible would say and it utterly reinforces my idea that Leave is a semi-religious frenzy rather than a rational decision.

This is a comment that should not have begun with an apology.

Why do people use this pre-apology structure for their comments? I never fucking apologise for anything I write. Don't like it? Downvote me, I don't give a shit.

1. Andre Carneiro

I’m sorry if my apology offends you. >:)

1. Lee D Silver badge

If Brexit were so simple, it would have happened already.

You wouldn't have watered down proposals of how to do it.

You wouldn't be reliant on the EU bending to your will.

You wouldn't have done things like "forgot" that you have to get it past the House of Lords, when if you'd just done that a year before anyway, you could have pushed it through a second time and their objections that time would mean nothing as it could just become law anyway.

There wouldn't be stories about what could happen *now*, that everyone could have told you years ago would happen in this case.

"Amazingly, when we pull out of the EU, all those EU-wide agreements mean nothing any more". Gosh, I'm shocked.

It doesn't have to be the end of the world to be a silly idea.

And if we did everything that 50%+ of people vote for, you'd end up with men having to look after all babies at home, and towns in Sweden voting themselves free money instead of having to work (literally just happened!).

If we're gonna vote on these things, I'd infinitely prefer a vote on "Should we go to war with country X" (with a min 75% threshold for ceratinty), which we never seem to get.

1. LucreLout

If Brexit were so simple, it would have happened already.

You wouldn't have watered down proposals of how to do it.

You wouldn't be reliant on the EU bending to your will.

Remainers really are going to have to take responsibility for all three of those.

Gina Miller managed to string the whole thing out by around a year with pointless and meaningless legal challenges for no better reason than she didn't like the result.

Chequers is what happens when you have remainers negotiating Brexit. It's logically absurd - you don't let the people who think we can't possibly succeed without kowtowing to the rEU negotiate how we leave it. Negotiating from a position of fear never produces your best outcome.

We're not reliant on the rEU bending to our will. Leavers don't want chequers, they want a clean break and WTO rules while we sort out a realistic trade deal: essentially rebooting the rEU back to what it was originally intended to be. I know remainers are firghtended by that idea, but that's just mostly because they don't understand economics, trade, or finance.

1. Test Man

@LucreLout you seem to forget that it was such a marginal "win" for Brexit that it was clearly insane going through with it without a proper analysis and a rerun when we actually exactly know what Brexit was.

And it wasn't even a compulsory-for-parliament-to-enact vote.

1. LucreLout

@LucreLout you seem to forget that it was such a marginal "win" for Brexit that it was clearly insane going through with it without a proper analysis and a rerun when we actually exactly know what Brexit was.

And it wasn't even a compulsory-for-parliament-to-enact vote.

The entire bill which formed the basis of the referendum, the question we were asked, and the government campaign to keep us in, were all formed by a remainer. The arch remainer at that. So remainers complaining about it need to look to themselves.

The referendum was spelled out very clearly before you voted - one and done, no re-runs; the same as the Scots IndyRef. There's no do-overs.

Point of fact, people voting leave did so ont he basis that the arch remainer guaranteed them he'd fire A50 in the morning and then we'd have a punishment budget. And still Leave won out.

Sorry, but you've had your say on this matter and you're on the wrong side of history. There's no democratic basis or need for another vote; quite the opposite - there is a democratic imperative that the result be honoured.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The referendum was spelled out very clearly before you voted - one and done, no re-runs; the same as the Scots IndyRef. There's no do-overs.

Legally there are. Or the government can completely ignore it. It was an advisory referendum.

1. Doctor_Wibble
                        Paris Hilton

> Or the government can completely ignore it. It was an advisory referendum.

I'm not sure they can do that now parliament voted to accept that advice? Or at the very least it's now extremely non-trivial...

And I think this is 'advice' in the 'legal instruction to representative' sense, rather than e.g. 'avoid the squid ink soup'.

So while the Act didn't say it was binding (not sure it said advisory either?), they chose to make it binding. The same people who approved the referendum and the wording of the question and the timetable etc etc. Cameron is the prime culprit but he was by no means alone.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

If the people wanted to change their mind, then they could have elected politicians in 2017 who promised to reverse the referendum. They didn't. They voted for politicians who promised not to reverse the referendum.

3. Adam Inistrator

The vote was approximately 13 to 12 for leave. ie 8% more voted to leave than to remain. 8% more is nor marginal especially when we are talking 17.4 million leave voters.

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

That’s the point! None of the actual Brexiteers would get involved in a position of authority as then they’d have no scapegoat when they don’t “hard brexit”.

Let someone else agree to the inevitable deal, then blame them for everything and say you’d never have agreed to such a plan. From there it’s an easy step to use that platform to elevate yourself to power.... at which point your “hands will be tied” and you’ll just do the best you can with the status quo.

If Boris *actually* cared about Brexit he’d be in there putting his name on a plan he argued for and proposed. In fact, wouldn’t the Brexiteers have had a plan for Brexit to begin with if they actually intended it to happen???

You can’t blame the remain vote for the complete lack of Brexit plan by the people who proposed it.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

You can’t blame the remain vote for the complete lack of Brexit plan by the people who proposed it.

Cameron, if he had enough of a brain to dig himself out of the hole he himself created, should have said, "Vote Leave have a month to come Downing Street with a document at least as detailed and as heavy as the indyref document published by the SNP before their referendum. This document will then be independently reviewed over a period of one year. If the plan is viable then the article 50 notice will be given."

And Vote Leave would have had a month to come up with something which isn't unicorns and rainbows, and as we know know, would have been impossible.

But instead he said, "We'll have a new Prime Minister on Wednesday, do-dooo do-do, right, good" and buggered off.

1. LucreLout

come Downing Street with a document at least as detailed and as heavy as the indyref document published by the SNP before their referendum.

The problem was that the SNP document was a total work of fiction. They assumed England would simply pay Scotlands national debts, set up a favourable trade agreement, vote for them to be allowed back into Europe, and gift them all of the oil (which according to international convention is in English waters, not Scottish ones).

Unicorns and trebbles all round.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The problem was that the SNP document was a total work of fiction. They assumed England would simply pay Scotlands national debts, set up a favourable trade agreement, vote for them to be allowed back into Europe, and gift them all of the oil (which according to international convention is in English waters, not Scottish ones).

Then presumably, if the Vote Leave document were similar, it wouldn't have passed review.

(There still is no Vote Leave document. Not even the ERG can summon one up after all this time.)

3. tiggity Silver badge

@ LucreLout

A top brexshiteer - Double D himself was supposed to be negotiating, but he ran away when he realized it was not the simple task he thought, but was actually complex.

.. Think of a phrase involving talk the talk & walk the walk ...

The May govt gave Brexshiteers lots of top roles (Raab the latest) - and they are proving totally useless, Chequers is on the table as the Brexit boys failed to deliver on negotiations.

The whole thing is a fiasco, but what do you expect with the clowns involved in UK politics

Disclosure, I am pro remain, mainly because our UK politicians are so crap I prefer a bit of moderating competent influence from Brussels & appreciate EU regs that have led to cleaner rivers, sea, better maternity leave, rules on working hours - lots of quality of life improving stuff that the UK gov would have been unlikely to impose. I also like the idea of free movement & meeting people of different cultures & experience - not a fan of jingoistic nationhood based primarily on the accident of birth place.

1. LucreLout

A top brexshiteer

Yay, name calling. The rest of your post I've ignored on the basis that in doing so, you have stated you have no credible points to make.

Bye.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Remainers really are going to have to take responsibility for all three of those."

This is getting surreal. It's the no true Scotsman excuse on steroids.

5. DavCrav

"Remainers really are going to have to take responsibility for all three of those."

Fuck off. You broke a vase, and are now saying the exasperated cleaner trying to sort out your mess should take responsibility, while simultaneously trying to make her job harder at every possible turn.

"Gina Miller managed to string the whole thing out by around a year with pointless and meaningless legal challenges for no better reason than she didn't like the result."

And, you know, because it was the actual law. One important point from the court case is that Parliament will decide on the deal/no deal outcome, and can force through other changes against the will of the Executive if need be.

"Chequers is what happens when you have remainers negotiating Brexit. It's logically absurd - you don't let the people who think we can't possibly succeed without kowtowing to the rEU negotiate how we leave it. Negotiating from a position of fear never produces your best outcome."

This is your utter delusion. Britain has no fucking cards to play in this negotiation. We have set ourselves on fire and are now trying to run around grabbing others.

"Leavers don't want chequers, they want a clean break and WTO rules while we sort out a realistic trade deal"

Shut up about the WTO. I will have to shout because you are obviously a bit mutton. THE UK IS NOT IN THE WTO. We are actually having to apply to rejoin the WTO, and are doing so right now. This will involve splitting up lots of quotas between rEU and the UK, and other countries are objecting, including the US and Australia. They want their pound of flesh just to allow us to join the organization Leavers seem to think we are already in.

"I know remainers are firghtended by that idea, but that's just mostly because they don't understand economics, trade, or finance."

Right. So the CBI knows nothing about economics, trade or finance, but you do. What's your plan on sorting out an MRA with the EU? Do you think we should have one? Because NTBs seem to be a bit of an issue with JiT production. The EU can just say 'no' to everything, and then we have no certification for flights, nuclear materials, and several other things.

All airports in the UK shut down. All nuclear plants shut down. The Eurostar shuts down. Massive delays on ferries. No UK-registered lorries leaving the UK at all. Little if any food making it into the UK due to no flights.

This is what actual no-deal, as in clean Brexit is. It's literal suicide, as in millions of deaths. You seem in your fugue state to be talking about a basic deal that sorts out all this sort of stuff, but with no trade in place. EU says no until Ireland is sorted out, which means trade needs to be in place. EU says no hard border in Ireland. Where should we put that border, you leave-voting fuckwit? You voted leave, you tell me where it should go.

1. LucreLout

Fuck off.

Bit hard of thinking are we? Never mind petal, the grown ups have voted to leave, and as usual we'll do the heavy lifting. You just sit in the corner doing your angsty teenager thing.

1. Kurt Meyer

Name calling

@LucreLout

"Yay, name calling. The rest of your post I've ignored on the basis that in doing so, you have stated you have no credible points to make.

Bye."

"Bit hard of thinking are we? Never mind petal, the grown ups have voted to leave, and as usual we'll do the heavy lifting. You just sit in the corner doing your angsty teenager thing."

You were saying?

6. Paul Shirley

"Gina Miller managed to string the whole thing out by around a year with pointless and meaningless legal challenges for no better reason than she didn't like the result."

Leavers should be worshipping her. Her intervention guaranteed brexit met the legal requirements of the EU and A50, she ensured it could not be aborted by last minute challenges. For the EU27 she ensured you will be leaving, whether you change your minds or not. What UK voters choose no longer matters.

2. beast666

We should not be relying on the EU at all.

The best possible option for the UK is to leave under the WTO deal.

No 'No Deal' or 'Hard Brexit' just Brexit.

2. Ken 16 Silver badge
              Trollface

I'm sorry I'm frequently offended by strangers on the internet.

2. DavCrav

"This is a comment that should not have begun with an apology.

Why do people use this pre-apology structure for their comments? I never fucking apologise for anything I write. Don't like it? Downvote me, I don't give a shit."

It's a pre-apology because you are about to tell someone they are an utter moron. The idea is to soften the blow a little bit first, like a pillow you put over someone before you shoot them in the face.

3. Scott 53

Re: UK networks have 'no plans' to bring roaming fees back after Brexit

" I never fucking apologise for anything I write."

Even if you find out you were wrong or have inadvertently upset someone you cared about?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like