back to article Official: Google Chrome 69 kills off the World Wide Web (in URLs)

Google Chrome has suddenly stopped displaying www. and m. in website addresses in its URL bar, confusing the heck out of some netizens. The move apparently cuts down on unneeded "trivial" characters that normies and techies alike shouldn't, according to the browser's developers, worry about in 2018. The more cynically minded …

Page:

1. Mayday
    Unhappy

Dislike

There's more to the Internet than www. Sure it's a web browser, primarily used for www. Either way a URL is supposed to go in the URL bar. All of it. Not just some bits.

Worst of all, what parts may be hidden or obfuscated in the future because the world's biggest advertising company says so? And malware/dodgy sites doctoring the URL to appear a little more legitimate? Etc. etc.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Dislike

Ha! I just posted sort of the same thing!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dear Google: please don't mess with DNS.

If you want to shorten the URL, how about hiding the http:// or https:// prefix - since Chrome already shows "Not Secure" and "Secure" as well?

1. Named coward

The http/https is also gone from the bar. Now you just get a padlock icon

2. keith_w

Although I don't know how Google Chrome would use, as opposed to display, a website that started "https://www." there are sites that are not available if you do not use that prefix. Specifically, I was working at a location doing deployments where the site id for RSA tokens was https://www.<token location>.<company name>.com. Their DNS would not recognize the request if you did not include the "https://www.". I am sure that that company will truly appreciate it when Google Chrome dumps the prefix for them.

1. Ragarath

@keith_w

Keith, the www is still there in the DNS lookup (or it would really break the system) all the browser is doing is hiding that to the user.

Hiding the actual domain is bad. I have different stuff on domain.com and www.domain.com do not make my users think they are the same, they are different domains. Might just have to ban Chrome!

I also already have a hard time getting people to just use the address bar rather than a Google search to get to the site, they're even typing the www.SITENNAME.com into Google search.

Stop trying to "Make it Easier" it is already easy, people are just lazy.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Hiding the actual domain is bad. I have different stuff on domain.com and www.domain.com do not make my users think they are the same, they are different domains. Might just have to ban Chrome!

Serve your sites also on www.www.domain.com and redirect all Chrome to it, ideally with a short admonition to the user to beware of stuff designed by amateurs.

2. Bitbeisser

"Stop trying to "Make it Easier" it is already easy, people are just lazy."

You can thank M$ for making people lazy, Internet Exploder was the first web browser that would add a "www." in front when you entered just "domain.com". Or add a ".com" when you just typed "domain".

And Apple is/wasn't far behind, as Safari quickly followed suite...

3. JohnFen

"how about hiding the http:// or https:// prefix "

Hiding the protocol identifier is just as bad, though, particularly since there are more choices than just HTTP and HTTPS.

3. rg287

Either way a URL is supposed to go in the URL bar. All of it. Not just some bits.

Unfortunately, Chrome doesn't have a URL bar. It has an "Omnibox" which does bloody stupid things like performing a Search when you type "192.168.1.1" into it.

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
        FAIL

It has an "Omnibox" which does bloody stupid things like performing a Search when you type "192.168.1.1" into it.

So that's what it is; what has been annoying the fuck out of me when failing to side-load my Android phone apps by downloading from an IP-addressed web page on my LAN.

Bunch of anky anking ankers.

1. AlexGreyhead

Pop a trailing slash on anything you want Chrome to treat as a URL, e.g.:

192.168.1.1/ will load http://192.168.1.1/

monkey.local/ will load http://monkey.local/

Etc etc.

2. LeahroyNake

"Omnibox" which does bloody stupid things like performing a Search when you type "192.168.1.1" into it.

I hope you are typing https://192.168.1.1:'somerandomport'. In an actual address bar rather than a search b8tch bar.

4. Daniel von Asmuth
      WTF?

URLs could be shortened to just the IP address, port number and inode number. But then, how much do a few extra bytes cost in UK currency?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nae trivial parts

A site's domain is under control of the administrator. It is the administrator who decides what is and what is not trivial.

If an administrator decides that the www in http://www.example.com is superflous then they will serve the site on http://example.com (yes, this admin has also decided against compulsory TLS use).

The browser's job is to show where the user is at, not trying to pull an "I know better" in the name of God knows what.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

CEO Mr Pichai it's time to step down!!

This clueless Sundar Pichai should step down, Google got so much worse during his CEO stint.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: CEO Mr Pichai it's time to step down!!

Is it just coincidence that Google CEO Pichai and M$ CEO Nadella are both indian-born!? What a catastrophic management style both have - people started to hate Google and M$ because of their crazy management decisions to spy on users and sell the data to third parties. Let's kick them out of their job, before the do more harm to the western society.

2. beep54
    Unhappy

Full URL

Isn't this one way to check to see if you are at a legitimate site? How can shortening the URL help?

1. Giovani Tapini

Re: Full URL

Fully agree. Its all very well assuming the whole planet is filled with people that understand what is a domain, subdomain, top level domain etc. but it really isn't.

Most people, even if they do try to check, will simply look to see if it seems to match. In this case what you can see will ALWAYS be different to what you think you targeted.

If the URL offends you so much Google, just make it disappear after a while...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No one even checks if it matches. Google search in URL bar is atrocious from a security standpoint. Already had the "why can't we login to site XYZ" when in fact they had mistyped, Google had searched, they clicked "first/sponsored" result. Thankfully they were sent to a hotel site or review forums instead of the specific booking company/location. However they still were not sent to the correct place. (IIRC a hyphen or a .org/.com got swapped somewhere when typing)

1. teknopaul

Re"No one even checks if it matches."

I very rarely dont check. I start typing into ff address bar. check that the url is found from history and then select. I rarely write full urls. I dont let fake urls into my history and i clean my history if it happens.

I dont use chrome because they send off what ever you type before you get a chance to correct a typo.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> I very rarely dont check.

That's one data point. Now I suggest you look around you at coworkers, family, friends, passengers on public transport, etc., and make a note of how many people are actually checking that they are on the right site (or even aware of what a URL actually is).

Fishing exists for a reason.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> No one even checks if it matches. Google search in URL bar is atrocious from a security standpoint.

Ben is absolutely correct on both counts. Why the audience please have the courtesy of explaining the downvotes?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Why the audience...

Would the audience...

Apologies for typing on autopilot.

2. dnicholas

>> If the URL offends you so much Google, just make it disappear after a while...

Like Chrome on Android has been doing forever

2. katrinab Silver badge

People might not realise that

www.nwolb.com.default.aspx.reffererident.1231e898f.date/20180907 is a dodgy site, but if it displayed

1231e898f.date/20180907

then they might

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

People might not realise but www.domain.com and domain.com are two completely different fucking addresses. I though google hired people who had more than 1 brain cell.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Give feedback

> I though google hired people who had more than 1 brain cell.

Those of you who a) use Chrome and b) have so-called social media accounts (Twitter and the like) may want to get in touch with, e.g., Jake Archibald and the other people from Chrome's development and UX teams (largely, their names and online identities are public) and tell them that you think this is a terrible idea and why. Respectfully and politely, need I remind you?

Personally, I cannot see what useful purpose such a change could possibly have. I do not use Chrome, but I can already see the not-quite-grown-ups at FF rushing to copy Google's latest ill-considered idea.

2. badger31

Exactly. Some people seeing domain.com in the address bar might not realise that they are looking at www.domain.com, then type domain.com next time they want that site, ending up somewhere else. Unfortunately--re the fix--for anyone who will be likely to do that it won't matter. Messing with the URL is dumb and dangerous. Are we running short on screen space for URLs now?

1. GeekyDee

Are we running short on screen space for URLs now?

Silly Badger, that space will soon be used for micro-ads!

3. pogul

> People might not realise but www.domain.com and domain.com are two completely different fucking addresses. I though google hired people who had more than 1 brain cell.

Jesus, next you'll be suggesting that "Flat 1, 16 ExampleRoad" is different from "Flat 2, 16 Example Road" -- people don't want to be bothered with this sort of superfluous detail.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

So they could grey the subdomain and keep the domain part black

1. Ragarath

But that's not even what they are talking about.

That site would still show nwolb.com.default.aspx.reffererident.1231e898f.date just the www would be missing.

They are targeting one sub domain here. The problem is where do you stop? They don't like INSERT YOUR DOMAIN HERE tomorrow. Your out of luck, this is worse than the old IE6 shenanigans. Google is too big and needs policing.

3. FlamingDeath Silver badge

This is no different than those dickheads at M$ deciding their users dont need to see the file extensions, spawning all kinds of trickery, for example providing a file called evil.txt.exe and including a text file icon into the exe to convince users further that it is a text file

There is a unspecified prize for anyone who can figure out the thinking behind this.

Anybody?

3. JLV
    Windows

For some reason this reminds me of Windows Explorer's "clever" choice not to trouble us with those, pesky and unnecessary, file extensions.

Which hasn't made life that much easier and has had a number of wholly-expected security effects.

Hopefully, like in Windows, you can tweak Chrome's settings to disable this behavior.

1. alain williams Silver badge

Leads to more lack of understanding

Hopefully, like in Windows, you can tweak Chrome's settings to disable this behavior.

Very few people will know how to (or care/bother) to do so; these will be the technically literate. The others will believe what they see and their general level of understanding of how the Internet works drop even more.

Simplification is one thing, but not this.

1. LeahroyNake

Re: Leads to more lack of understanding

If you don't know how to display the 'extension for known file types' click the start button or whatever Win 10 calls it... the thing in the bottom left corner normally ( unless you have accidentally dragged the bar to a different part of the screen) type.. with the keyboard 'Folder' then click folder settings or folder options... If you can't find the option from there please send me your PC/ laptop and I will honestly send it back if you include your cc details mothers maiden name and your favourite colour. Thanks MS support.

1. K.o.R

Re: Leads to more lack of understanding

Displaying extensions (and hidden files) is on the View tab of Explorer's ribbon as well.

2. MJI Silver badge

I detest that

Three files, same name, different little logos, two which are wrong.

I do NEED to know the extensions, which is the data, the index and the memo.

1. Lusty

Re: I detest that

Could be worse, on Linux you could have a .txt or .jpg extension which the OS will happily execute as a script based on permissions. Extensions aren't a good security feature on any OS, but if you want to show them it's blindingly easy in Windows Explorer.

1. Daniel von Asmuth

There is no such thing as an extension in Linux or Unix, only filename suffixes If you tell the OS to execute some file, it will check your permissions and then its magic number and if none matches, pass it to a shell to run as as script. File names with '/' or '\0' characters in them are asking for trouble.

2. jake Silver badge

The difference, Lusty, is that on Linux the extension is not meaningful. Changing the name of the file doesn't affect how the OS sees it. Meaningful file extensions should have died with CPM.

1. Lusty

@jake that's horseshit every Linux distro I've used has had a config to recognise file extensions and launch apps accordingly, and my first Linux installed from floppy disk. The difference is that Linux doesn't use a file extension to determine executability. It does use extensions to determine how to use files though, as do all modern operating systems. Double click an image file with html as an extension and see what happens next. Does your OS launch GIMP or Chrome?

1. JohnFen

"It does use extensions to determine how to use files though, as do all modern operating systems"

No, it doesn't.

"Double click an image file with html as an extension and see what happens next. Does your OS launch GIMP or Chrome?"

You're talking about the desktop environment here, not Linux. Several DEs started paying attention to the extension in an effort to be friendlier to Windows users, but you can certainly use other DEs that don't exhibit this behavior.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

> You're talking about the desktop environment here, not Linux.

He's not even talking about the desktop environment. He might be talking, as far as I can make any sense out of his twaddle, about a desktop environment--and a very broken one at that.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> @jake that's horseshit

Lusty, it is enough having to tolerate your ignorance without you doing the arrogant twat thing, so please wind your fucking neck in. There are people in here who actually know what they're talking about and you are not one of them.

With that said, it is helpful to recall that a topical Linux environment consists of a number of superimposed, and sometimes complementary, layers. In the case at hand, the kernel (Linux), the installed utilities and configuration (the distro), the desktop environment and the individual applications (such as file managers) are all involved in determining what is going to happen when you interact with a file. Typically, a combination of file permissions, attributes, file contents and possibly file extension will be considered when making that decision.

In general, however, if file extensions are used at all (and that usually only occurs at the higher layers), they will be used merely to disambiguate between similar types.

E.g., opening file.csv in a spreadsheet application and file.txt in a text editor, even though both are plain text files. Conversely, saving a PNG file as file.txt will still result in the file being recognised as an image and being opened in the correct application.

The extensions, as others have already told you, are there primarily out of habit and as a matter of convention. At the OS level they do not have any meaning, they way they do in DOS and Windows.

Source: Linux developer here.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Lusty

"At the OS level they do not have any meaning, they way they do in DOS and Windows."

DOS doesn't use extensions either, it works identically to Linux in this in that you'd need to launch a program to use a file, and on Windows this works the same way as Linux - it'll joyfully launch the program and try to open the file then fail if it's incapable. I'm not sure what you all think is so baked into Windows around file extensions, but there's nothing there other than a list of extensions and default programs just like in Linux DEs. These are there just for convenience when you double click a file. The only exception to this is that DOS and Windows will only try to execute files with a few extensions such as EXE and BAT while Linux will run anything that has the executable bit set.

Also, no need to get personal and start name calling. You may be a Linux developer, but that's no excuse to act like you're Linus!

1. Danny 2

"Also, no need to get personal and start name calling."

We are a flock of loving lambs here until the first drop of blood and then we become a frenzy of sharks.

2. JohnFen

"DOS doesn't use extensions either, it works identically to Linux in this"

Not true -- extensions are meaningful for DOS. If you rename a .exe or .com to a different extension then try to execute that program, it will fail because it doesn't have the magic extension.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like