back to article Skype can now record your 'special moments' in front of the computer

Call recording is coming to the consumer version of Skype, although users of the Windows 10 UWP incarnation will have a bit longer to wait. Business users have long had the ability to record video and audio calls, but the great unwashed have had to resort to a variety of third-party apps with varying degrees of effectiveness …

1. 0laf
    Mushroom

Microsoft owned Skype performs worst on Microsoft owned operating system.

I think you should just give up now MS.

You had your chance and blew it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If by blew it you mean that they completely failed with all their effort in abandoning WebTV, yes. At some point in 1996 a Microsoft beancounter was overheard... "What? TV and a computer, kill the project! Net... Flicks... absurd!"

Then, even worse, when you consider that that decision also lost the future creator of Android OS... Smile.

It almost seems made up on just how bad at futuring MS is. But when you steal things, you don't have the vision to create them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really? In the same week as this ass-kicking:

This time, Microsoft says, it really will be different: Redmond has promised to stop ruining Skype.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/04/microsoft_takes_a_pruning_axe_to_skypes_forest_of_features/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can argue for and against Recording

But the lack of Audio-only recording is a WTF moment. It says it all about how Microsoft don't think things through. Overall I would expect the only people really celebrating are fux like this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43114471

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For W10

Windows Key + G > Yes this is a game > record....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

audio and video recording

"The Register has contacted Microsoft to learn what security measures are in place for the cloud-based recordings and will update if a response is forthcoming. ®"

Simple. It is always recording vid + audio and sends this to Redmond for indexing. Soon, skype will start at boot time, and no, sadly, there's no option to prevent this.

Then, there's an optional payed for service for removing embarrassing vids ...

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Holmes

So how does this work?

1. You hit record, everyone gets notified, everyone has to answer yes, recording starts?

2. You hit record, everyone gets notified, recording starts there and then, if they don't like it they hang up?

Sounds like the second one meaning Microsoft Don't Get Privacy (again).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So how does this work?

I've not tried any of the 3rd party recording add-ons for Skype. Is there a common approach that they all use? If there is, and MS don't follow the de facto standard, the it's time to call foul.

2. Iain Gilbert

Re: So how does this work?

Skype for business announces it on the screen and plays a tone but does NOT require all participants to ok the recording.

I’d assume regular Skype will follow the same model.

It’s actually quite useful on business machines as you can setup a meeting with no one else on it, share your screen and record a tutorial without any additional software.

6. Wellyboot Silver badge

After 30 days

MS will keep them forever, but only for uses that benefit them.

7. TRT Silver badge

Hmm...

A colleague has just shown me how his Skype for Business redirected landline now doesn't work properly, but it DOES email him a voice recognition transcript of anything left on his answerphone. That is what I call creepy.

8. herman

Eh? On any half decent computer it is trivial to record video/audio.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It’s a voice recognition transcript of the voicemail message, in other words, text, that the email message contains, not an audio copy (which is, as you say, trivial).

That is actually quite clever (although, yes, somewhat creepy).

1. TRT Silver badge

And this cloud recording / speech recognition in the cloud feature now makes phone conversations easily indexed and searchable.

9. Someone Else Silver badge

Oh, Suuuuure!

The Register has contacted Microsoft to learn what security measures are in place for the cloud-based recordings and will update if a response is forthcoming.

Don't hold yer breath! But were there to be a response it would either be:

1) All user's "special moments" will be kept with the highest level of security and privacy Microsoft can provide.

2) All user's "special moments" will be mined for location, and product information, and can and will be sold to the highest (and probably second highest) bidder, verbatim, at our sole discretion.

Answer 1) will eminate from the marketdroids, and will be a complete fabrication. (C'mon, "highest level of security and privacy"? From Microsoft??? Shirley, you jest!) Answer 2 will be the truth, and will never see the light of day unless leaked from an internal Microsoft memo.

10. fidodogbreath

Web-app-ify all the things!

According to Ars Technica, the new Skype apps for all platforms will be built with HTML5 and JavaScript. Skype users can look forward to the snappy performance and low resource overhead that are the hallmarks of running interpreted code in a container.

On the plus side, the pokey and bloated new apps will supposedly focus on features that people actually want to use, rather than trying to be a crappy Snapchat / Instagram ripoff.

So, yay.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Web-app-ify all the things!

eh? It's already HTML + Javascript.

But that's only a part of the reason it's shite.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Web-app-ify all the things!

> look forward to the snappy performance and low resource overhead that are the hallmarks of running interpreted code in a container.

To be fair, there isn't much that videoconferencing applications have to do themselves these days, as video+audio capture and network peering is all done in native code via Web APIs. The application itself basically takes care of glueing the APIs to the relevant user interface controls.

11. ecofeco Silver badge
    FAIL

You mean, when Skype works

See title.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Unfortunately my “special moments” tend to obscure the camera somewhat.

Paris, because... really? I have to explain that?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Paris, because... really? I have to explain that?"

Please do explain, because your special moment might be my normal routine.

/joke

13. Frumious Bandersnatch

one-liner

$ echo "Oh please do not touch me" |

perl -nale 'do { print join " ", @F, "\b!"} while pop @F'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: one-liner

Is that P**l?!? ARGH!!!! MY EYES!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like