back to article Who wants to cram some BOFH skills into their brains? How about from, er, Google?

Google is bringing its IT Support Professional Certificate program to more than two dozen US community colleges this fall in an effort to prime the sysadmin supply pump. The Chocolate Factory introduced the online course in partnership with web educator Coursera in January. Since then, we're told, almost 40,000 people have …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Does it cover cattle prods, dodgy window catches, tapping phones and cameras and, of course, the correct use of skips, carpet and quicklime?

And all the extra info re beer and pizza in last week's BOFH?

1. Waseem Alkurdi
      Trollface

No, all that is what the IT budget is for.

And if more is needed, H&S budget works.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

median

median is one of the w*nkiest statistics you can use.

1. SVV

Re: median

Stop being mean.

* Yes, I know it's rather an average joke.

2. Joe Werner Silver badge

Re: median

Nope. In this case it's probably the best you can do. 50% earned more than that amount. Interesting is of course also a measure for the width of the distribution.

The arithmetic mean is too strongly influenced by extreme values. Yes, it's optimal in the l2 sense, but not really informative here.

Personally reporting the quartiles would have been preferable, but the median is a good compromise. But most people don't care about uncertainties...

3. Herby

Why doesn't ElReg sponsor...

A true BOFH certificate for all of us. I'm sure there is a profit center there.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Why doesn't ElReg sponsor...

Idea of the week!

4. LordHighFixer

An actual BOFH cert.

I would happily pay the price of a pint and a couple of kabobs, for a reg certified BOFH certificate.

1. Only me!
      Pint

Re: An actual BOFH cert.

Sign me up of BOFH cert.....but it better be from a Centre of learning on a Center!

Otherwise I might have to put things in to practice precertification......and no one would want that to happen.....sorry was that an open window?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: An actual BOFH cert.

I was rather hoping that a suitable font would help disguise the fact the the BOFH cert was issues by a national center of excrement.

5. Flakk
    Trollface

Google is bringing its IT Support Professional Certificate program

Let me guess... it's kind of like A+, but with a heavy focus on Google Cloud services and AndroidOS?

1. ShortLegs

That wouldn't really be a problem, though, would it - for companies that were seeking some form of metric to judge candidates, for a role in a Android/Google-centric environment.

Certainly no more than the Novel Service and Support course was flavoured to supporting Netware environments, and a similar MS course of the time was flavoured to Windows. Or the Win95 and NT Workstation courses discussed connecting to Netware servers using DOS connectors rather than the superior Netware Client32 and/or ZenWorks, before rapidly moving onto completely displacing, and side-stepping Netware clients full stop.

6. jake Silver badge

I'm guessing that ...

... this time next year, I'll have yet another filter for automatic insertion of resumes/cvs into the circular file.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BOFH wages

Those are the wages being compared.

If you're a BOFH, and all you're earning is what's reported on your wage slip you're doing it wrong.

Even the PFY should be making buck on disposing of old assets, fixing people's home kit and some general larceny.

A BOFH should be making serious cash through fraud (that consulting firm) and blackmail.

Wages should just be pocket change :D

1. Oengus

Re: BOFH wages

Wages should just be pocket change

Wages are just the number reported to the Tax Orifice...

2. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: BOFH wages

fixing people's home kit

You mean stress-testing it with a sledgehammer right?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like