back to article Catalyst 9000 the, erm, catalyst for surging Cisco software sales

Are you sick of hearing about Cisco's transformation yet? Bad news, then: with its Q3 results in, the company's waving its “we're a software company now” flag so high we may have to drop the “Switchzilla” nickname. It helps if the pivot-to-software rides on a highly popular hardware platform: CEO Chuck Robbins told today's …

Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure what they're bragging about.

We're interested in the 9000-series switches, and have priced them out. The associated subscription prices aren't substantial in terms of the overall purchase - people are probably just rolling their eyes and buying them, knowing that it will be Yet Another Stupid and Pointless Administrative and Maintenance Task to renew them in a few years. As far as I can tell, this is just a pathetic "foot in the door" attempt to get people used to buying subscription switch features instead of the usual perpetual license+support arrangement and fuck Chuck Robbins in the face with a chainsaw for going there. It's a dick move, and he's a dick for making it.

Bronze badge
Meh

Don't get it

I've been using/fan of Cisco for a while now. Hell, I'm a CCIE FFS.

Now, they want me to buy a "thing" (which in this case is a switch), plus a maintenance contract (you're mad not to have one, unless you can budget the odd cold spare into your deployment and also consider software updates/vulnerabilities). Now I need an ongoing subscription?

Sure, its a business. They are there to make money, however don't expect me to sell your product to my business when all these extra overheads seem to come along. I'd be pretty crap at my job if I did.

This is similar to those new TelePresence screens that need a subscription. No thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018