back to article BOFH: But I did log in to the portal, Dave

BOFH logo telephone with devil's horns At some point in every successful IT vendor's lifecycle, their infrastructure gets so vast and monolithic that navigating their support network is pretty much impossible for everyone but the vendor's people themselves – and sometimes not even them. "So you see," I tell the Boss, "I log …

Page:

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

I've been there

It's called HPE! And even the support drones can't help you. Calling Joseph Heller?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've been there

We're in the process of decommissioning a lot of HPE gear. The abomination that is their "support" center was one of the minor reasons for switching server/storage vendors.

Unfortunately, we're also still tied to IBM for the near future. And I can only assume that HPE took lessons from them.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
        Devil

We're in the process of decommissioning a lot of HPE gear.

I really hope "decommissioning" is a euphemism in this case. Preferably for something that involves explosives.

2. G2

OH GOD, we just bought in december 2017 a crap load of HPE OfficeConnect switches and some ProLiant servers... but even if we have multiple volume licenses for Server 2016 bought directly from MS and we provided them with the license info, HPE REFUSED to even send us a single damned install disk with drivers for the servers and the stupid "HPE Intelligent Provisioning" wizard built in the bios was malfunctioning with the standard MS installers (we download the ISO for Server 2016 directly from Microsoft VLSC).

HPE's "Intelligent Provisioning" was causing this dreadful message to appear when trying to install Server 2016:

"Windows Setup could not install one or more boot-critical drivers. To install Windows, make sure that the drivers are valid, and restart the installation."

NO SHIT SHERLOCK... the drivers were built into the damn BIOS and installed by the installer wizard provided by HPE, how much more "valid" do you want to get?

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Intel servers FTW - we've got a couple with good track records.

At first we were wary, but times were tough, so we took the leap.

The downside is that most Intel kit is not built to last forever, whilst HPE (and others) are built to last, but the upside of this is that you are able to afford a new Intel server every two (or three) years, whereas with HPE (and others' kit) you have to grin and bear it until the BOFH slush fund Bossly Unit's CC is full enough to go out and purchase some pretty HPE kit - and have a major hissy fit with driver installation.

So far I never had any issue installing Windoze Server on Intel kit. HPE is another matter though...

2. david 12 Silver badge

>HPE REFUSED to even send us a single damned install disk<

Because they didn't want to get sent to 3 years jail for providing install disks of MS software?

3. phuzz Silver badge
      Windows

Plus, how is that HP and Dell, (who between them probably sell a good proportion of all the web servers in the world), both still have websites which are intolerably slow? Do they not have some spare hardware knocking about?

Don't even get me started on the palava that is trying to burn a copy of the HP firmware update iso onto USB.

1. TRT Silver badge

Apparently Amazon reckon that if their pages have a 100ms extra lag time, then they lose 1% of global sales... So Dell and HP and countless others presumably must be saving 100% of global support costs with their 10s + load times.

1. Stoneshop
          Holmes

The difference

Apparently Amazon reckon that if their pages have a 100ms extra lag time, then they lose 1% of global sales

Amazon sells stuff that people WANT, and if they can't get it from Amazon they go elsewhere.

HP and DELL support have something that people NEED, and can't easily get somewhere else (and even though incompetence is widely available anyway, people often prefer the vendor's incompetence over a third party)

1. Marshalltown

Re: The difference

"...even though incompetence is widely available anyway, people often prefer the vendor's incompetence over a third party..."

They even prefer paid incompetence over free incompetence. And may even be disturbed is the free incompetence is slightly less so than what has been paid for.

2. Franco

Never had an issue getting it on to USB, the issue I have is that you can enter proxy sever addresses but can't enter credentials, so it's completely useless behind an authenticated proxy.

And the sheer genius of HPE making you have a support contract before you can download it from their website, but leaving it free to download on their FTP site...

1. Stoneshop
          Devil

And the sheer genius of HPE making you have a support contract before you can download it from their website, but leaving it free to download on their FTP site...

That can't be anything but FTP access left open from when they uploaded the drivers, and no-one knowing how to close it.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
        Pint

@phuzz

"Do they not have some spare hardware knocking about?"

You would think they might have a few, but nobody can register them, or get downloads to service them...

4. Montreal Sean

The HPE website is one reason why I'm not too upset my company won't give me the time to recertify on HP servers.

If I'm not certified I can't touch the warranty stuff and thus have no reason to ever use the site again.

And it also means I can focus on my actual job which is printer repair.

4. Nick Kew

Would that be the HPE that just got taken over by Micro Focus a few months ago?

You never know what changes that might portend. For myself, I don't expect ever to find out, and I'm happy that way.

1. Stoneshop
        Devil

Would that be the HPE that just got taken over by Micro Focus a few months ago?

The parts of HPE that dealt with software. Or at least most of it; the SaaS segment is being shuttered, and VMS is kicked out but most of that will likely find a home in VSI.

2. dmacleo

yeah I think so, was merger in late 2017 iic with micro focus and hp enterprise

5. Steve the Cynic

Calling Joseph Heller?

Through a sickeningly appropriate coincidence, at the moment I pulled up this comments page, your post had 22 upvotes. There must be a ... catch ... somewhere.

1. pxd

Re: I've been there - stymied!

Now I cannot bring myself to upvote this excellent post, because who ever heard of Catch 23? pxd

2. Unicornpiss
        Pint

"Through a sickeningly appropriate coincidence, at the moment I pulled up this comments page, your post had 22 upvotes. There must be a ... catch ... somewhere.

I just upvoted your post, and my upvote was also the 22nd one. Synchronicity is alive and well in the universe's cold, cold heart.

6. Richard 31
      Paris Hilton

When you can only give one upvote to a post.

I would love it if HP would just delete the entirety of their site and replaced it with the usual brochureware site for the products and a link to a drivers page, where, get this you can enter the serial number and it actually has the drivers for the device you entered. Surely not too hard.

Instead we have this piece of tortuously slow site that runs like a monkey with a leaky sack of jizz which makes me want to kill everyone who was involved in writing it. No jury would every convict either.

7. katrinab Silver badge

No, HPE have the sheets of paper individually bubble-wrapped, placed in very large boxes, then attached to a pallet with cling film.

2. }{amis}{
    Flame

GAH!

I'm sure I got PTSD from dealing with the Oracle support site!

1. Sgt_Oddball
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: GAH!

I managed to find Oracles hidden registered, paying but not paying customer portals just to get hold of java7 installs for jdk's. However there's a reason I've got more grey hairs though...they really really don't want you to have the installs.

Also for the record there's recycling centres in north Leeds but no landfill.... unless you count Bradford and that's to the south west....

1. Stoneshop
        Pirate

Also for the record there's recycling centres in north Leeds but no landfill....

Oh yes there is. It's comparatively small as landfills go, just a few cubic meters. Roughly the volume of a rolled-up carpet holding what might have been a human body plus two bags of quicklime ...

2. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
      Windows

Quote:

I'm sure I got PTSD from dealing with the Oracle support site!

And this article brought back all those PTSD memories I've been suppressing all these years........

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

"I'm sure I got PTSD from dealing with the Oracle support site!"

Oh that I can deal with, it's their support line for the products I deal with that give me sleepless nights!

4. David Given
      Mushroom

Oracle support vs. Concur.

Discuss.

3. Aladdin Sane

Apparently, I can't invoice the company for the quicklime I use in these situations.

1. TRT Silver badge

Did you register to use SmartLime(tm)?

1. Aladdin Sane

I'll check with my Lime Manager.

(Sorry/not sorry).

1. Korev Silver badge
          Coat

You can download the files using Limewire

2. Cpt Blue Bear

"Apparently, I can't invoice the company for the quicklime I use in these situations."

You shouldn't be invoicing them. Quicklime is a consumable therefore comes under operating expenses. You should be submitting it as an expense to be reimbursed.

Or so The Girlfriend tells me...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I swear

BOFH sits next to me, listening to my Rants.

However, recently found that some carriers "Expires in 48 hours link" is perfectly useful 3 months later. Saved me hours of username / password hell.

1. Mark 85

Re: I swear

Indeed... his desk is right next to one where Scott Adams sits.

The scary part of the BOFH is every story has real truth in it. So it's obviously not fiction.

5. Simon 4

Dell website. Yesterday. Very similar.

6. Terry 6 Silver badge

Could we just list the sites that don't put us into Catch 22 Hell? It would be much quicker and save a lot of bandwidth. BTW at least BOFH and Boss can get to speak to a person. The circular web link thing is mostly there to stop users getting through to human.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge
      Coat

Here's your list:

Done and here's your coat with a spray bottle of untraceable nerve agent and a copy of "Workplace Accidents and How to Engineer Them" for the next time the sales droid pops by.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Joke

>Done and here's your coat with a spray bottle of untraceable nerve agent

That made me Novichuckle

2. Trygve Henriksen

Where can you buy a softcover version of 'workplace acidents and how to Enginerr them'?

I need to have a well-read copy laying prominently on my desk...

1. Stoneshop
          Pirate

How to

Turn the BOFH stories into a suitable PDF, add a topical cover picture with the title artfully added via your graphical editor of choice, and send it off to a Print-on-demand shop.

When you get it back, add a few bloodstains, a bit of discoloration and damage caused by quicklime, and a few brownish patches like some lumps of soil had fallen on it at some point.

1. Alister

Re: How to

Turn the BOFH stories into a suitable PDF, add a topical cover picture with the title artfully added via your graphical editor of choice, and send it off to a Print-on-demand shop.

Really!! After reading all the BOFH stories over the years, you really want to risk doing Simon out of his rights as author?

1. Stoneshop
              Devil

Re: How to

Really!! After reading all the BOFH stories over the years, you really want to risk doing Simon out of his rights as author?

As long as you're not printing and selling them, just printing one for yourself, use as described, I think you're fine. Else you should be offering him a suitable cut of the profit in a form of his choosing, no? And if it's to keep your cow-orkers and manglement in a state of sullen obedience I expect him to approve anyway.

2. Cpt Blue Bear

"Where can you buy a softcover version of 'workplace acidents and how to Enginerr them'?

I need to have a well-read copy laying prominently on my desk..."

It used to be available from O'Really Publishing, known affectionately as The Guillotine Book.

3. Zwuramunga

But the documentation is in Russian.

2. IglooDude

...for varying definitions of "person". I love my fellow man, but some of the people that answer the phones really put the "desk" in "helpdesk".

3. Montreal Sean

I really hate the support sites that pop up the instant messaging box asking if you need assistance.

I don't need a monkey reading a script, I just need the drivers for my server thank you very much.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

I don't mind that instant messaging box if there is actually someone there to answer. But too often it then says that there's no one available to answer,or they're only open at silly times in the day.

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

BOFH matures well with age. This is another one of his best ones. :)

8. Augie

Wheres my carpet roll

Its times like this the BOFH annuals become your bible. If anyone's about to try HPE support, they might be having a slight delay..

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like