back to article Cisco launches direct sales site for SMBs

Cisco’s quietly kicked off the trial of direct online sales that The Register revealed in March 2018. It’s been named “Cisco Start” and you can find it here. The site will not terrify Cisco partners: there’s only 90 products on sale and to find that out you need to click three layers down through lots of ShinyHappy™ stock …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Borg seldom does things by halves and we'd be surprised if this is the only shot in its locker.

You have not idea what you are talking about. Just the opposite. Making the Borg commit resources properly to anything is utterly impossible because there will always be at least two BUs whose interests will be threatened and they will throw spanners in the works.

Disclaimer - I once upon a time was a Borg unit so this is an insider view. Most implants have been removed now..

2. hplasm Silver badge
    Headmaster

They lost me...

at 'Antenna's ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So few products and out of date too

Somehow they have managed to include so few products. Under servers they have only got 4 options, and most processors aren’t there, but no mention you might be able to buy them via a partner. Clearly to drive anybody wanting a server to other suppliers.

Plus their collaboration systems are still labelled ‘Spark’ despite the renaming of them following the failure of Rowan Trollope’s grand vision.

4. Androgynous Cow Herd

After years of threatening

VARS are being replaced by a “Buy it now” button

5. Roland6 Silver badge

Australia only?

Only seems to be the Australia & New Zealand variant of Cisco Start, so definitely a very limited trial.

But now having located the El Reg March article: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/08/cisco_to_trial_direct_online_sales/ that is understandable.

Also, it seems that you can only get 'definite' prices by completing the purchasing options, where a vallid AU&NZ zipcode is required. I also note that it seems the products will be supplied by (selected?) Cisco partners - hence why partners should enjoy the programme.

6. Roland6 Silver badge

Don't see people sticking with this store

Tried (and failed) to purchase the same suite of kit (switches, routers & APs), a client (organisation of less than 50 staff) recently purchased through TT-Exchange

From this I conclude the site is more a way to get SME's to call Cisco partners, as I can't see many sticking with the Start site and purchasing a complete suite of equipment that actually works well together.

Personally, I would just use it to identify the partners working in my area and then get them to do the quotation legwork.

7. Androgynous Cow Herd

Re: Don't see people sticking with this store

TT Exchange is fun to say, at least.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018