back to article Windows 10 April 2018 Update lands today... ish

Unless something goes very badly wrong, the April 2018 Update to Windows 10 lands today, April 30, 2018*, complete with a new way to handle updates called delivery optimization. The idea behind delivery optimization is to let you download updates to one PC, once only, then have other PCs on your network grab those updates over …

Page:

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Stop

"Keep clicking, Windows-lovers! It's bound to come along soon."

Wouldn't a wiser course of action be to not download it and let everyone else test it first, since MS has decided QA is optional?

1. Michael Habel Silver badge
      Go

Re: "Keep clicking, Windows-lovers! It's bound to come along soon."

Like they would just give you the choice...

*Unless you were lucky enough to be on some Enterprise Edition.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"*Unless you were lucky enough to be on some Enterprise Edition."

You get 2 years to upgrade to it on CBB. No need to rush.

1. Michael Habel Silver badge

I thought they [MicroSoft] had decided to retire the Current Branch (for), Business, about a year or so ago. So its kinda surprising to see you bring it up.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I thought they [MicroSoft] had decided to retire the Current Branch (for), Business, about a year or so ago. So its kinda surprising to see you bring it up."

That's the only enterprise build for standard use so that seems unlikely. The only other option is the LTSB which is very specifically not for standard use, not for anything that runs MS Office and is meant for kiosks, medical devices, ATMs, etc. For instance LTSB wont support Office 2019 Pro Plus.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

For instance LTSB wont support Office 2019 Pro Plus.

More like Office 2019 Pro Plus will be deliberately nobbled because too many people are finding out about a non-TIFKAM, non-slurp option and MS have to try and get them back on track.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

" too many people are finding out about a non-TIFKAM, non-slurp option "

LTSB has the same interface and the same telemetry.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"LTSB has the same interface and the same telemetry."

Lol @ all downvotes for an entirely factual statement. Wow this place is full of Microsoft hating fan boys.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

>>More like Office 2019 Pro Plus will be deliberately nobbled

Microsoft always clearly stated that the LTSB was not suitable if you wanted to run Office. If you ignored that advice then it's only you at fault.

3. jelabarre59 Silver badge

For instance LTSB wont support Office 2019 Pro Plus.

And this is a defect/problem how??? I'd consider that a *feature*.

2. Tempest8008

I'm calling BS on the downvotes on many of these.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with what this particular AC wrote.

3. M_W

They just changed it's name;

Current Branch for Business = Semi-Annual Channel (Broad)

Current Branch (i.e. today's release) = Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) (Pilot)

Long Term Service Branch (LTSB) = LTSC (Long Term Servicing Channel)

And Beta = Windows Insider

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

And Windows 10 Pro is more-or-less Windows 10 Home.

If you want virtualisation stuff you have to talk to the nice MS licencing man about Enterprise because it's gone from Pro.

Pray they don't alter the deal any further.

1. J. Cook Bronze badge

Enterprise is also the most expensive option, and IIRC, you can *only* get it if you have an enterprise agreement (EA) and possibly Premier agreement active.

And even *THEN* you still have to de-crappify the client to remove patently non-business shite like the Xbox crap and other stuff that has no business being baked into the enterprise build.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Why would you rush, anyway. There's not really anything in that description that's going to warm many heart cockles.

Now if I could get shut of "mixed reality portal" * and other Start menu excrescences I might be keener.

* in any other walk of life this would be a sign of insanity, it's so perverse. Windows 1st run tests to see if Mixed reality portal will work on the machine. If not it removes the controls that let you remove it

3. Jim Willsher

yes, that's the plan I'm taking this time. Fed up being their beta-tester; this time I'll wait.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"and let everyone else test it first, since MS has decided QA is optional?"

Not only have MS already dog fooded it internally, but several million voluntary beta testers that have signed up for Windows Insider have already tested it. So in fact way more testing than any other competing OS gets before release.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

And as we've seen oh shill, throwing shit at a fan is no substitute for proper QA, something SatNad disbanded in 2014.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"proper QA, something SatNad disbanded in 2014."

TWC was nothing to do with QA. And they moved those TWC functions directly into the respective engineering teams, they didn't evaporate.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

TWC was nothing to do with QA.

And black is white, water is dry...

And they moved those TWC functions directly into the respective engineering teams, they didn't evaporate.

2,100 former employees would beg to differ.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"2,100 former employees would beg to differ."

No they wouldn't as they were overwhelmingly the non engineering employees. Microsoft cut 18,000 staff in the restructure that involved buying Nokia. And Trustworthy computing was about secure coding practices, secure by design, secure default settings, etc. etc. NOT QA / testing.

2. fandom Silver badge

"Not only have MS already...."

It's heartwarming to see that MS is finally getting some fans back.

A couple more decades and they won't even be posting anonymously.

3. Dave K Silver badge

I'm not knocking the benefit of having lots of Insiders test it, but there is no substitute for a proper, structured and complete testing programme. Ad-hoc testing will always miss something - for example the webcam issue a year or two back that was missed.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I'm not knocking the benefit of having lots of Insiders test it, but there is no substitute for a proper, structured and complete testing programme. "

They have that too. Both automated and human.

1. Dazed and Confused Silver badge

They have that too. Both automated and human.

They might have, but they clearly don't actually use it or there wouldn't be anything like the number of bugs managing to get out of the door to customers.

2. doublelayer

"several million voluntary beta testers that have signed up for Windows Insider have already tested it."

Microsoft has 1.5 million insiders. That is not several million. Also, many of them are like me--I'm in the insiders group but it has been a long time since I last really tested something rather than just firing up the system once in a while to see if I notice something. The updates are a bit annoying, and I don't spend enough time in windows to make it worth my time. I'm mostly in the group because I was four years ago and why bother withdrawing? I just checked my VM with the insider build on it--seems I haven't used it since February.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft has 1.5 million insiders".

No its about ten times that. It went past 7 million 3 years ago:

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-insiders-program-reaches-7-million-members

2. jelabarre59 Silver badge

Microsoft has 1.5 million insiders. That is not several million. Also, many of them are like me--I'm in the insiders group but it has been a long time since I last really tested something rather than just firing up the system once in a while to see if I notice something.

Or they could be like me. *BOTH* machines I had been running the Tech Preview on died to the point they won't even *power on* anymore. Not sacrificing any more hardware.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"* machines I had been running the Tech Preview on died to the point they won't even *power on* anymore. "

So not an OS issue then.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Windows 10 has been known to hose the BIOS/UEFI.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"Windows 10 has been known to hose the BIOS/UEFI."

Nothing obvious there as to Windows 10 actually breaking anything. Linux on the other hand definitely has been known to bork hardware:

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/3023573/canonical-pulls-ubuntu-update-after-bios-corruption-issue-affecting-laptops

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

As you forgot to post the sentence immediately after the heading, I'll do it for you...

Canonical points finger of blame at Intel for a shonky set of drivers incorporated into the Linux kernel

2. ChrisBedford

Or they could be like me. *BOTH* machines I had been running the Tech Preview on died to the point they won't even *power on* anymore. Not sacrificing any more hardware.

Oh, right, hardware failure is *OBVIOUSLY* the fault of the OS, since it happened to both of them. There's *NO SUCH THING* as coincidence, right?

Seriously?

I mean, for real, seriously?

If your computers don't power on, that's a PSU or mobo problem. PLEASE explain how Windows is to blame for either of those. No, go on, I'm dying to hear your rationalisation.

4. Mage Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: but several million voluntary beta testers

That's not proper testing. A badly chosen group and a reliance on telemetry.

See Norman Nielsen Group articles.

5. JohnFen Silver badge

"Not only have MS already dog fooded it internally, but several million voluntary beta testers that have signed up for Windows Insider have already tested it."

None of which is an adequate substitute for a solid QA program. It's great as an addition to QA, but not as a replacement.

6. J27

Don't pay those guys any mind, they're stuck in a pre-continuous-delivery world.

1. JohnFen Silver badge

I wish I were stuck in the pre-continuous-delivery world. Software was so much easier to deal with then.

7. David 132 Silver badge

AC ”Not only have MS already dog fooded it internally...”

AC, you may or may not be a Microsoft shill, but I’m happy to see that we’re in agreement.

Well, except that I think the other end of the dog is involved.

8. Mark 85 Silver badge

Not only have MS already dog fooded it internally, but several million voluntary beta testers that have signed up for Windows Insider have already tested it. So in fact way more testing than any other competing OS gets before release.

Do you really believe this or are you a paid troll? If they have (and may very well have) that many "testers" willing or unwillingly, then they are doing a piss poor job of fixing the deficiencies found. Testing is fine, fixing is different issue.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Fungus Bob Silver badge
          Windows

To all those bashing Microsoft's QA process,

Don't you think your expectations are just a wee bit unrealistic. C'mon, this is as good as Open Sores Software gets!

5. Mage Silver badge

Yes! Absolutely! Can't! Upvote! Enough!

~

It also sounds Meh.

* Peer to Peer Windows Updates on LAN already existed.

* Voice dictation with a key press combo possible since at least 2002 on Windows.

* Who really wants Win 10s?

I bet it doesn't fix ANY of the things really needing fixed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

For the love of god, can't we just have a PROPER start menu??????

Put that in and I guarantee loads of folks would give it (W10) another chance.

Keep fucking around with crap no one wants or needs but a simple start menu is too much for them.

6. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      WTF?

Focus Assist

Can you use it to suppress that useless time wasting trash called Slack?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Focus Assist

"Can you use it to suppress that useless time wasting trash called Slack?"

You can replace it with Microsoft Teams. Which wastes your time more effectively with a nicer GUI and more unified communications functionality.

2. Dazed and Confused Silver badge

Can you use it to suppress that useless time wasting trash called

constant bloody updates. If I wanted to send this much time managing my PC I'd have become a systems administrator.

1. ChrisBedford

constant bloody updates. If I wanted to send this much time managing my PC I'd have become a systems administrator.

Stop being so bloody dramatic. If they didn't do updates you'd moan about that instead. "Constant" updates = once a month, BFD, and it happens after hours (or didn't you set your working hours correctly?)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Users, start your updates...

Ready for the latest fix from Nanny?

There’s a swag of other sysadmin-friendly stuff too, like the AutoPilot enrolment status page that lets you check that a new device has all the correct policies in place

In other words, MS will tell you that all those little work arounds you have so carefully put in place to make Windows 10 bearable and half usable will be consigned to the wastebasket before applying the update whereupon you will have to find other ways to make the OS work as you want it and not as the 'nanny from Redmond' wants you to.

I think I'll get the popcorn in. This could get interesting.

I'll wait for at least a couple of weeks before enabling updates on my Windows 10 systems after making sure that I have image backups of them all before MS goes stomping all over them. Nothing like being prepared for the of bork or two now is there eh?

1. TheGreatCabbage

Re: Users, start your updates...

I'm going to install the update as soon as possible, since I'm planning to clean install it soon anyway.

I'm working on a tool to make the setup after clean installing much easier, the prototype is working nicely.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019