back to article FTTP NBN gone from draft Australian Labor Party policy platform

The Australian Labor Party (ALP) may be on the way to dropping its policy commitment to a fibre-to-the-premises national broadband network (NBN). The Party’s current policy platform (PDF) states, in its section on the NBN, that “Fibre is the end game. A National Broadband Network for the 21st century will be rolled out across …

1. Bubba Von Braun

" will update this story if we receive a meaningful reply. "

So that is a never then. While I am one of the lucky few with FTTP, its sad to see the opportunity of a truly connected country go down the partisan toilet.

When will these clowns of all political persuasions start governing and stop acting like a bunch of kids in a school yard.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

What the NBN has really done is benefit Netflix, and Stan etc over Fox cable and normal TV.

With all those extra TV broadcast channels we get more repeats now than ever watching repeats that were criticised for being on the ABC, but are now on 7, 9 and occasionally 10.It drives people to netTV.

The value of the internet is slowly diminishing, Apple is stopping iTunes downloads in favor of streaming, Microsoft are strangling programs for Windows platform by migrating its store into the only place for it's Apps.

Slowly via Google and others information is being obscured and rendered inaccessible or people cannot be bothered with the expense of maintaining it. it will become more ordinary and boring. Who wants boring at 1 Gigiabyte per second.

1. Robert Heffernan

Who wants boring at 1 Gigiabyte per second.

I do. I want ANYTHING at 1 gigabit.

1. mathew42
        FAIL

Re: Who wants boring at 1 Gigiabyte per second.

You might want it, but can you afford it? Labor expected <1% to be on 1Gbps in 2026. If you are in the 1% then technology change will be small change.

2. TheOzCynic

How has faster internet given anything over foxtel? They have streaming services too, All it has done is given people choice now.

Apple is switching to streaming as they can have more control and make more money off it than a simple download service.

MS is pushing things to the app store for control and security supposedly.

Fast internet is for many things not just entertainment, Cloud services, e-health, work from home, etc etc etc.

3. Andrew Punch

The NBN is the internet that Australia deserves

But not the one it needs right now

4. Big-nosed Pengie

No less than you'd expect from the Almost Liberal Party.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The HFC NBN was scheduled for my place in 2018 H1, then pushed back to H2, now the same property is showing up as FTTC in 2020. It sounds like the Libs are moving to more fibre tech now (good) so expect them to before the next election that FTTP was too expensive (rubbish) and now that FTTC has been developed their multi technology mix was the core policy that has allowed to them to switch their plans to it. (Of course they wont say "now that it meets the Labor did not come up with it criteria", which is surely what they're really thinking).

Pitty they wasted so much money buying the HFC network.... I wonder how many areas will be changing? If you expected HFC, check again....

6. andro

Pitty upload is still mostly so slow. Im finding myself uploading images to team channels from my phone in full res, and generally on a home connection (even a good one) its way faster to drop off wifi and upload over 4g, then reconnect to the home internet. My wife also works from the home office, and the lack of upload speed means she takes a huge productivity hit waiting for file transfers to businesses servers. Of course I suffer the same when working from home for out of hours work.

1. jpharri

50/20 is fast becoming the default connection now. 20Mb up isn't bad at all - unless you're on FTTN and did not win node lotto I guess (there's potentially a million premises in that situation)

1. mathew42
        Facepalm

New pricing structure is a brilliant political ploy by LNP. They've set the pricing so that for included 2.5Mbps CVC on 50Mbps makes it the best value for an RSP. Unlimited data plans are pretty much the only option and this means RSPs have a great disincentive to offer plans faster than 50Mbps due to the extra load faster users will place on the network. LNP have cut the price of CVC from $20 to $8 removing NBNCo's major source of revenue growth under Labor plan meaning that NBNCo cannot cut AVC prices further suppressing demand for faster speeds.

LNP will be able to claim that for most users on NBN speeds have doubled from 25 to 50Mbps but that demand for 100Mbps is low and almost non-existent for faster speeds, justifying the MTM decision.

7. mikeinnc

No FTTC for you, Sangropers!

FTTC might be an option for some - but not, it would appear, if you live in WA. We are informed by our Grand Poo-Bar Fifield that our ' NBN Is already fully designed' and so that means FTTN for the vast majority. As there is NO budget, nor the political will to upgrade this, it looks like the State will drift slowly backwards over the next thirty or so years. Yet another example of how we are ignored and sh*t on from the eastern states parliament.

1. Rockets

Re: No FTTC for you, Sangropers!

Yet again WA getting screwed over by the east. WA will have the highest amount of FTTN out of the whole country. Secession now!!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WA = Wait Awhile

No 21st century NBN for us it seems, I'm so surprised, not!

Fifield is an incompetent and a liar.

His boss is full of shite.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still no NBN here

I get 2.5 Mbps down and .75 up.

I think the plan is to make us wait so long that 12 - 15 down seems like lightening.

10. JJKing
    Mushroom

Oh FFS

You might want it, but can you afford it? Labor expected <1% to be on 1Gbps in 2026. If you are in the 1% then technology change will be small change.

Oh pleeease Mr Ashwood, can't you just give the Labor blaming a rest. They had a plan, may not a have been perfect but it would have gotten better and the Australian people would have had a cheaply upgradable fibre network to 93% of the population. Change the hardware in the exchanges and homes and you have Gigabit and then later 10 Gigabit. Labor also ordered the two Skymuster satellites, you know the ones Turnbullshit said weren't needed because there was sufficient capacity available, except the Optus boss said they didn't have any (more COALition lies).

I also think Labor miscalculated the percentage of users who would have taken up a 1Gbps plan. Many business I know would like to have those sorts of speed NOW! and not in 2026. If the COALition had not murdered the NBN then a greater benefit would have resulted in health, education and growth in regional towns. Houses are cheaper than in the metro capitals and has been shown in the past, business will move to where they can get faster Internet speeds and a better lifestyle for their staff. Instead for pure political vindictiveness we have been lumbered with a white elephant of Nodes that are going to be left in place until they die and there is no option but to complete a now 10 year old plan.

Just remember that the COALition spent 2 years holding the NBN in limbo commissioning SIX reports until they got one that fitted their taxpayer funded mess. Now we have the new NBN type COALition mess; Snowy 2.0. First is was $2Billion. Then $4Billion with the extra infrastructure needed to carry the extra power. Now it's $12Billion (this sounds like the COALition's ever growing NBN cost. First under $10Billion, then $29 now what is it.....$54Billion) and this $12Billion worth of "renewable" energy produced, which isn't made using COAL, is going to return $0.69 for every $1 it costs. Well, aren't the COALition the brilliant money managers of the political spectrum.

The people of Australia and their GRANDCHILDREN have been cheated out of a high class Information Highway. Where this country would have been one of the world leaders, it is now close to scraping the bottom of the Information Highway barrel. The increase in GDP caused by the NBN would had added additional revenue for the governments to pay back the COALition borrowings due to Hockey's non existent Budget Emergency and the more than doubling of overseas debt since the COALition's election in 2013 and allowing more money for health and education which directly affect the growth of this country. A pipe dream on my part since based on past experience there would have been tax cuts for the 1% ers which wouldn't have trickled down to the poor bastards who actually do the work.

My apologies to my fellow commentards for the length and for going off topic but mathew42 and his continual broken record rants really give me the shits.

1. mathew42
      FAIL

Re: Oh FFS

> My apologies to my fellow commentards for the length and for going off topic but mathew42 and his continual broken record rants really give me the shits.

How about apologising for your fibre fanboi rants which lack evidence?

> I also think Labor miscalculated the percentage of users who would have taken up a 1Gbps plan. Many business I know would like to have those sorts of speed NOW! and not in 2026.

I suggest reading the ACCC NBN Wholesale Market Indicators report for the real figures, which show Labor were overly optimistic on take-up of speeds. (83% on 25Mbps or slower!).

If you statement had a hint of truth thousands would be connected on 1Gbps plans, not the 176 of which ~100 are on MyRepublic's marketing promotion plans.

The reality is that if a business can justify the monthly cost of 1Gbps, then technology change is not a huge expense. The harsher reality is that demand for 100Mbps services has fallen since the early days of the NBN and only a few RSPs offer 250Mbps in very limited areas.

> The people of Australia and their GRANDCHILDREN have been cheated out of a high class Information Highway. Where this country would have been one of the world leaders, it is now close to scraping the bottom of the Information Highway barrel.

The single factor that cheated most Australians was Labor's decision to add speed tiers. That decision resulted in 83% on 25Mbps or slower. Labor's NBNCo Corporate Plan has a chart showing how speed tiers will cause Australia to fall behind.

> The increase in GDP caused by the NBN would had added additional revenue

The average speed on FTTN is 68Mbps. That means if LNP removed speed tiers on FTTN, the average speed would be higher than FTTP with Labor's speed tiers.

The GDP growth predictions are based on increases in average speed (e.g. 1Mbps increase results in x% GDP increase). If you accept the reality of Labor's speed tiers reducing that potential 1Gbps down to slightly over 25Mbps, then the additional revenue is theoretically still coming into the budget.

> Labor also ordered the two Skymuster satellites, you know the ones Turnbullshit said weren't needed because there was sufficient capacity available

I think you are misquoting Turnbull. The argument was not about the need for more satellites, but buying capacity from private operators versus building satellites. By purchasing 2 satellites, Labor have trapped NBNCo. Instead, NBNCo could have had multiple options including Project Loon & SpaceX which will deliver faster cheaper services.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like