back to article It would totally help, EU told, if data we held on migrants was accurate

The European Union has been warned to sort out data quality in its IT systems that manage asylum and migration, and improve efforts to ensure people know how to exercise their personal data rights. In a report on the collection, storage and use of biometric data in asylum and migration IT systems, the EU Agency for Fundamental …

1. Pen-y-gors

The English, the English, the English are best...

at screwing up border and immigration controls

"Details of 600,000 foreign visitors to UK go up in smoke thanks to shonky border database"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/29/uk_border_database_missing_details_of_600000_foreign_visitors/

And with the inevitable border meltdown that's coming if UK leaves the EU, it can only get better!

2. alain williams Silver badge

Log files ...

Log files should be kept to monitor access, specifying who accessed a system and why, and these should be available to national data protection agencies and the European Data Protection Supervisor on request.

They should also be made available to the individual who's records are being looked at. It is s/he who is really going to take an interest and ask why the ex's brother is looking at their record.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Allowing in one million strangers is bound to cause problems

El Reg asked "if someone is suspected of intentionally providing a false identity"

You mean, like those twenty-something so-called refugee males who claim to be younger than eighteen so they won't be prosecuted for their crimes?

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"National authorities and experts attach a high degree of credibility to biometric data..."

And I still wait to hear what the plan is when that data is compromised.

You can change a password, you can't change your fingers.

As long as there is nothing on how to treat compromised biometric data, I don't want it used.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

3 words...

"Buttle, not Tuttle." 3:20

You know what I'm saying.

And yes, biometrics. WTF when your prints are swapped with a shoot-on-site terrorist.

Data sharing. Yes. Central data repository. No.

And FFS do the data cleansing before the migration, because I guaranf**kingtee it won't be done after.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ID cards (and biometric ones too!)

Yes, I know this is not what you want to hear, but (AFAIK thanks to the USA) we on the continent have biometric ID cards and passports for many years already, and nothing bad has happened so far. Don't know, maybe we're holding them wrong?

Having an official ID card has it's perks though; For one I guess it reduces the chance of identity theft, given you are required to show that ID card every time you open a new bank account, take a loan, or generally do something which involves big money. Now those modern ID cards are very hard to fake, which puts impersonation beyond the (material and financial) reach of most criminals. Identity theft isn't a big thing around here.

Does it help Big Brother to track our every step? Certainly less than the cameras in UK streets: During a year I personally use my ID/passport only when traveling by plane. I don't open new bank accounts or take new loans every day. *shrug*

TL;DR: Storm in a teacup...

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

TL;DR: Storm in a teacup...

And yet you post AC.

If you have nothing to hide surely you have nothing to fear?

After isn't that the point of your post?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like