back to article Not cool, dude: Brit web host Hotchilli Internet freezes itself for good

Web-hosting outfit Hotchilli has told punters the best way it can continue to serve their needs is by, er, shutting up shop. The London-based biz penned a note to customers to warn them that services will be terminated from next month. In the letter, seen by The Register, services director Stephen Rees said: At Hotchilli, we …

Anonymous Coward

Too hot to handle?

Sorry.

Silver badge
Flame

Owwwww

Methinks the aforementioned chilli has taken up residence of the behinds of meany former customers.

Closed to serve you better

And not at all ironic

Silver badge
Mushroom

Re: Closed to serve you better

In fairness there are quite a few companies that could improve their customer service by imploding

Silver badge
Headmaster

There is no such verb as "to pen".

And please refrain from using "shutter" as a verb.

Headmaster

I think you may need a new dictionary.

Dictionary.com offers the verb definition for both words.

Anonymous Coward

RE: And please refrain from using "shutter" as a verb.

Quite aside from Muphrys Law, if you want to argue about words, it's probably a good idea to have a larger than average vocabulary, or you will end up making an arse of yourself.

"Shutter" is a perfectly good, if lesser used verb, and serves to encapsulate the act of drawing shutters across a window or opening as distinct from the act of shutting a door.

As a rule, IT bods are not the best people to critique language ... along with sales and marketing bods.

Silver badge

Re: RE: And please refrain from using "shutter" as a verb.

As a rule, IT bods are not the best people to critique language

Oh I dunno. I have a pretty good grasp of the English language (1980's-era English teaching notwithstanding).

And I would never have used the phrase "we have always strived" - the past tense of "to strive" is "striven".

Anonymous Coward

Correct. And if utterly naff journalism is your thing, these are great terms to use.

Silver badge

We deeply regret notifying you of our intentions

Lol, I'm not sure that's what he meant...

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: We deeply regret notifying you of our intentions

My guess is that they've been preparing for bankruptcy, but hoping against hope that somehow they wouldn't have to.

I'm guessing they are admitting that their hope was unrealistic, that they knew or should have known that it was unrealistic, and are apologising for not just laying everything out on the table right away.

Silver badge

I don't know how many existing customers Hotchilli has but i am sure if they had approached a competitor and asking if they would be willing to take over the hosting of Hotchilli customers websites, this would be better than just telling them to backup and move to another host.

Also it is very often much better to find a smaller provider that cares.

Bronze badge

My 2p

Xilo.net have only let me down once in 10 + years. The unlimited BW Means I have daily backup so not a real issue.

Can anyone else post some suggestions?

Re: approached a competitor

@mark l 2

Don't be sure that they didn't, but just didn't have any takers. If there was no profit in their business model, who would?

Silver badge

Re: My 2p

Xilo.net

How much? They may be good but they are easily at the top end of the cloud hosting cost range..

This post has been deleted by its author

TRT
Silver badge

I thought ...

they were pretty good. Haven't checked in years, however, but I did have two sites hosted there in the late 90s, early 00s.

Well...

I'm personally using freevirtualservers.com < they have amazing people in support and uk based servers.

Quite cheap too, and I never had a downtime :D

Anonymous Coward

123-reg.co.uk offer competitively priced services

oops, went 200% in the last 24 hours. SORRY!!!!

btw, fake news, I made it up, did they bring up the price, this fine specimen of British Entrepreneurshit?

ADSL4Less is now even less

ADSL4Less is (was) also part of HotChilli. Their website has a HC 'Act now!' message on it.

Shame, I used to use them and their service was pretty good IIRC.

Unhappy

Re: ADSL4Less is now even less

I too was also on ADSL4Less, paid £14.99/month from around 2005 until present. Sad that they are closing down as it was cheap. Now signed up to Freeola on a 2nd house line so I can switch the office number to VoIP without losing the internet.

I'm on a Market A cabinet which means that there's no fibre and limited choices. All ISPs offer the world until I put in my details and suddenly there's no deals or the price doubles.

Anonymous Coward

The Cloud...

Other people's computers they can shut down and tell you to fuck off

But seriously, does anyone have any advice on how to retrieve a domain from a dead ISP? Hotchilli have disappeared, no website , no phones no one answering email. Dead.

usually they'd need to authorise the transfer, but if they no longer exist, how can they?

That means my domain (and email address) will go *phut* in a month.

thisis bad...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018