back to article MY GOD, IT'S FULL OF CARS: SpaceX parks a Tesla in orbit (just don't mention the barge)

After years of setbacks, SpaceX today successfully launched its Falcon Heavy three-in-one rocket and delivered into orbit its cherry-red payload – Elon Musk's very own Tesla Roadster. After a morning of delays due to high winds, the mighty rocket lifted off from the Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39, in Florida, USA, at …

Don't Leave The Lights On!

Stereo blaring is ok, but hopefully the headlights are turned off so as to not PO any astronomers.

Silver badge

Re: Don't Leave The Lights On!

It's a little too much Austin Powers for my taste, eccentric billionaire puts his own car into space with a 'dummy' at the wheel ... just as Ebay announces that they are going to stop using Paypal and are lining up Adyen.

"So mister Pieter van der Does, you thought you could take business away from me, did you? Consider the futility of your actions as you slowly orbit the earth, until your oxygen runs out. Feel free to hit the horn as often as you like."

Silver badge
Alert

Great Headline, Register

The fact that no one commented on it (or recognized it) makes me feel old.

Silver badge

Re: Great Headline, Register

I thought the headline was good, but too obvious to comment on. Doesn't particularly make me feel old ... I leave that to my grand daughter ;-)

Anonymous Coward

I got the Headline but thought everyone would get it !!!

Don't tell me that 'Star Bores' is the only classic SciFi Film the current generation now knows :(

[Never could get the fervour for Star Wars as the original book was awful beyond measure ..... given to me, as I liked SciFi, by an old boss. I read it as a courtesy but found it to be more a hackneyed Space Opera than any great Drama/Adventure.]

Downvotes are this way :)

|

|

V

Silver badge

Nah...no downvotes (I would hope) from those of us who appreciated 'Space Opera" as a sub-genre. I've enjoyed my share but the SW book was a bit... hmm.... bad even by space opera standards.

2001 A Space Odyssey is one the pinnacles of Space Opera and we have Stanley Kubrick to thank for that. The book by Arthur C. Clarke wasn't all that great but the movie sure was! But that headline most definitely restores some long lost memories of a simpler time and place within the hallowed halls of Science Fiction greats!

Now I do wish Elon Musk and the Space-X cast and crew all the best in helping humanity get us off this rock! Go Boldly! Where Noone has gone before! And do remember......DON'T PANIC !!!!!!!!

P.S. So long and thanks for all the fish!

P.S.2. Have a Byte. 01010110 It's Good Fer Ya!

Silver badge

2001 is not Space Opera, even if it did have classical music!

TRT
Silver badge

Will he stop to pick up hitch-hikers?

Anonymous Coward

>2001 A Space Odyssey is one the pinnacles of Space Opera and we have Stanley Kubrick to thank for that. The book by Arthur C. Clarke wasn't all that great but the movie sure was!

I thought the book was better than the film but it's almost always the case as in literature you can be more expansive and so much gets missed out when moving to celluloid*.

*Note to younger readers, celluloid is what they used to use to make movies and books were a collection of paper pages with typed words.

>DON'T PANIC !!!!!!!!

The Brain the size of a planet.......and they ask me to park cars.

Silver badge

"The book by Arthur C. Clarke wasn't all that great but the movie sure was!"

You guys _do_ realise that the book and the film were written at the same time don't you? (Clark and Kubrick collaborated fully on both)

It was one of the earliest examples of a book spinning off as part of a movie project (as was the Star Wars book), Clarke write quite a bit about the creation of both (and the visual gags in 2001 that few people spotted, such as the PanAm shuttle toilet)

Agree on the headline. Well played.

Facepalm

I thought this was a story about the A6....

Silver badge

Someone actually downvoted you. I can't believe there are 4 people who actually had a complete and utter humour failure to downvote you on this. Really. REALLY? What's wrong with you people! :-O

That said... Damn nice job, Elon and your Musketeers. Well done. Does the Tesla have rockets behind the headlights like any good Bond vehicle? ;-)

tfb
Bronze badge

Wasn't the book written essentially *after* the film? I forget the timeline now, but I remember there was a short story first, and then perhaps the film and then the book? Somewhere (or, more likely, long lost) I have a book which has a description by Clarke of how it all happened.

Silver badge

@Alan Brown:

Sadly -- Most of the visual gags in 2001 were hard for most to see even in the '70s. Most seeing that now wouldn't notice a single one. But, if you do watch it, you realize that Kubrick deserves credit on a few Apple patents.

The short story was called The Sentinel, and told essentially of the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon. Then Clarke and Kubrick expanded on it (first monolith on Earth, trip to Jupiter...), giving birth to the full-length novel 2001 and the Kubrick movie.

Anonymous Coward

>I thought this was a story about the A6....

A fellow A6 sufferer, have an upvote in empathy.

Anonymous Coward

I was not knocking 'Space Opera' as a Genre as I did specify 'Hackneyed'.

Isaac Asimov’s Foundation books, 'The Foundation Trilogy' of Seven Books!!!??? & Arthur C. Clarke's Odyssey Series are a perfect example of the Genre that is good !!!

Virtually anything by Ben Bova is 'Space Opera' on a grand scale :) ;)

Also Larry Niven's Ringworld Series.

Should be enough there to keep you entertained for a few weeks !!!

<Start major debate here about what books are or are not 'Space Opera'---> > :) :)

The original short story was The Sentinel and this was suggested as a start by Clark when Kubrik came to him with the idea of "a good science fiction film". Development of the book and film carried on, pretty much, side by side.

This is documented in the book The Lost Worlds of 2001.

Anonymous Coward

Big John,

Correct by the original definition but it has evolved a little over time as authors expanded the 'Pot' to choose from :)

Hence my comment re: Debating what is or is not 'Space Opera'

From the Wikipedia entry for 'Space Opera':

Notable space opera novels include the Foundation series (1942–1999) by Isaac Asimov, the Lensman series (1948–1954) by E. E. Smith and the Ender's Game series (1985–present) by Orson Scott Card. An early notable space opera film was Flash Gordon (1936) created by Alex Raymond. In the late 1970s, the Star Wars franchise (1977–present) created by George Lucas brought a great deal of attention to the subgenre.

I tend to agree with the definition as above but concede that there is lots of room for debate :)

Space Opera is not by definition 'Bad' but many authors have written 'Epics' in the style of and tended towards more 'Flash Gordon (1936)' rather than something like the Foundation Series IMHO.

I Do like a GOOD Space Opera as it can provide an 'awful' (Ba Dum Tish) lot of entertainment ..... I am from a generation that read books and did not speed read everything (although I do read quickly and can finish a typical paperback in 1 day).

> Will he stop to pick up hitch-hikers?

Well the hyperspace bypass is still not even under construction AFAIK so there might not be many to pick up yet.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

The book by Arthur C. Clarke wasn't all that great

I loved it, read it three times during my teenage years.

Silver badge
Devil

Will he stop to pick up hitch-hikers?

The only time that car is stopping is when it hits something.

Coat

Re: Don't Leave The Lights On!

> It's a little too much Austin Powers for my taste

It even looks like a giant ... town hall and clock!

// http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/06/race-organisers-made-bit-balls-dewsbury-10k-run-7289958/

Of course the most obvious gag was HAL, being one letter shifted from IBM. I am sure everyone here is aware of this but I thought that since we were talking about the easily recognizable headline, I would mention it anyway.

Silver badge

Re: 2001 A Space Odyssey is one the pinnacles of Space Opera

It's not space opera.

It's visually stunning with good soundtrack. However about 1/2 of it is very boring for many people. Forbidden Planet is less physically accurate, but more compelling story.

Interesting how many parts of FP seem to turn up in ST-TOS and other later films and series.

Silver badge

Re: Notable space opera novels include

Wikipedia is wrong. The original Foundation series* (originally magazine episodes) is not much like Space Opera. EE "Doc" Smith was (First novel about 1928 and he more or less invented the genre), Flash Gordon too.

I agree Space Opera can be good or bad. Star Wars original trilogy is a mix of Space Opera and Fantasy. He basically killed the fantasy later with stupid SF "explanations".

[* IMO the later written Foundation books and all Asimov after 1979 is much inferior. I think between 1957 & 1979 he didn't write SF?]

Silver badge

Re: obvious gag was HAL

Maybe? A C C himself said that was an accident, not deliberate.

The short story was first. The book you describe is "The Lost Worlds of 2001". As far as I remember the screenplay and book were written together. Certainly the film is very faithful to the book.

Anonymous Coward

Elon and his band of 'Rocketeers' gets a doff of the Cap and Hearty Congrats !!!

So impressed with the Synchronised Landing .... looked Stunning even though as advised elsewhere they are just following an identical program to land the Boosters.

Very Thunderbirds [Original Supermarionation Version] only could not see the strings <Grin>

In terms of the Downvotes for daring to cast aspersions on 'Star Wars' .... totally expected hence the Arrow.

My only response is Jar Jar Binks !!!

Nuff Said. :)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Notable space opera novels include

Mage,

I did mention that this was subject to great debate !!! ;)

I can see your point and do not call things 'Space Opera' as a denigration.

I have read all the well known output of Asimov, Clarke and many many others enjoying them all .... overall. Some were better than others BUT that was/is to be expected.

Of course as they & their readers got older and reality caught up with some of the ideas they may be seen as less impressive.

Personally, I read all things with a view to the worldview and knowledge that was contemporaneous with the writing/publication of the Story.

It is part of the enjoyment for me to understand what was known at the time things were written and appreciate the flight of fancy or extrapolation of facts that the author(s) took.

Try it with something like H G Wells Classics and appreciate how far he projected ideas/accepted knowledge of the time and reflected the concerns of the then world. It can give a whole new set of nuances to your understanding/appreciation of his Stories.

Ditto with most of the Classic SciFi IMHO.

P.S. Still think the Headline is a Blinding Classic and should win a prize or Something, absolutely Love it !!!

Anonymous Coward

"2001 A Space Odyssey is one the pinnacles of Space Opera and we have Stanley Kubrick to thank for that."

Pretty sure "my god, it's full of stars" doesn't actually feature in the film though, just the book, and as the intro to 2010 (the film)...

Silver badge

"Forbidden Planet is less physically accurate, but more compelling story."

Yeah but they knicked the story from Shakespeare, so it was already a given that the story and plot could stand the test of time.

I can't wait to see EFM's BGR!

Devil

Anything by Peter F Hamilton is worth a look if you enjoy Space Opera genre! Start with "The Reality Dysfunction".

You do know the bypass plans are on display for 45 years now in Alpha Centauri?

I once asked Clarke how come the film monolith was black whereas the story monolith was transparent "We tried a clear one but it looked terrible - couldn't get it optically perfect enough." Didn't ask why the shift from tetrahedron to cuboid though!

Silver badge
Windows

Hence my comment re: Debating what is or is not 'Space Opera'

From the Wikipedia entry for 'Space Opera':

Well, as usual wp is missing the *ULTIMATE* space opera movie.

Its just a jump to the left.

Silver badge

"Pretty sure "my god, it's full of stars" doesn't actually feature in the film"

I have copies of both. It features in both.

If memory serves correctly since its in the vicinity of 60 years but Clark wrote a short story "Monument" that served as the framework for the opener and there was another short story that had served for beginning of the main story.

Will Jenkins (Mauray Leinster) held the patent of the system used for those great space shots.

Noted elsewhere but one short was Monument. I believe there was a second that covered later in the story. One thing about Clark that he is credited for the geostationary comsat and for using the moon as a tax haven

Silver badge

... and a step to the ri-i-i-ight!

I wouldn't call it a Space Opera. More a homage to B movie horror.

One of the most entertaining films ever made, IMO.

The original story was "The Sentinel" and ends with the narrator wondering if the "builders" might not have become cranky in their old age, jealous of younger races. The movie begins with that and then builds on a "singularity" like concept of "evolution." (Evolution really has no direction its headed in so YMMV.) Some of the movie has concepts that probably really hark from Childhood's End. There was no original book as such, just a novelized version of the movie.

Silver badge

"However about 1/2 of it is very boring for many people."

Many people or "mundanes" as they are better known. The one's whose imaginations don't stretch much further than those of the first scenes shown in 2001. Just keep banging the rocks together, guys.

Silver badge

"Some of the movie has concepts that probably really hark from Childhood's End."

And even earlier short stories. Clarke returned to the idea that other intelligent life had an interest in Earth over and over again.

I'm currently working my way through The Collected Stories Of Arthur C. Clarke (GOLLANCZ S.F.) on Kindle and the theme is there in several of the stories. I've got as far as The Sentinel, and the stories are in chronological order so his fascination with the idea pre-dates The Sentinel.

Silver badge

Get your cars to Mars

Is this going to be the very first Johnny Cab?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Get your cars to Mars

'cept that the Johnny Cabs were on Earth in 'Running Man'

Silver badge

Re: Get your cars to Mars

"The Johnny Cabs were on Earth in 'Running Man'"

Total Recall

JDX
Gold badge

That simultaneous landing

Epic show-boating.

Re: That simultaneous landing

So what happened? No idea if the booster that was furthest from the booster landing cam actually landed. The video feed cut before they landed, and the booster that was furthest from the cam looked to be less than vertical <1 sec before landing. Did the centre stage land on the barge? I'm not saying this wasn't awesome, because it was, but could SpaceX give a bit more transparency, please? Even if only one of the three 1st stages landed, I for one would class that as a success.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Forums

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2018