back to article How digitalisation will change your storage culture

How close to reality is the all-flash enterprise data centre? Depending on infrastructure heritage, appetite and capital available the answer is likely to be: "Closer than you think". Another question is whether running an all-flash infrastructure is the right choice for your organisation. Even up to relatively recently an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Digitalisation vs digitisation? It's like envision vs envisage - an apparently more impressive word to replace a perfectly good existing word. Either just rings alarm bells to indicate that the writer has nothing to say and needs to tart it up with spray-finished words.

1. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

Agreed

From Digital Signal Processing by Steven W Smith, chapter 3:

When electronics got around to inventing digital techniques, the preferred names had already been snatched up by the medical community nearly a century before. Digitalize and digitalization mean to administer the heart stimulant digitalis.

2. kolkurtz

Damn I am glad someone else picked up on this. "Digitialisation" is all over our organisation and it is driving me to distraction. Don't even get me started on people saying on-premise as opposed to in the cloud! Premises is not a plural, it is god damn singular.

As far as I know with digitisation, there is a distinction. Digitisation is the conversion of print media, digitialisation is conversion of analog signals to digital. People should not be conflating the two.

2. Joerg

NAND flash is not more reliable than Hard Disk!

Even Enterprise Class SLC NAND based SSD are far from reliable.

The only reliable as much as Hard Disk or more technology is 3D XPoint.

3. AndytheArchitect

Price is less of an issue now

Some manufacturers in the mid range are now selling flash drives as cheaply as 15K spinning disks and they can be had in far larger capacities. Dell is an obvious example. Others sell all flash arrays that compete directly on price and performance with hybrids.

Personally I would go for the simplicity of an all flash array over a hybrid, all other things being equal.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like